Go Back   AFA Forums > Secularism and Social Issues > Politics

Politics Political issues which help or hinder our society

Old 12th November 2016, 01:55 PM

Default Re: The US Election, 2016 Edition.

I was just pointing out that he isn't the first US president who uses his position of power to take sexual advantage of women.
And I concede that aspects of his personality are contemptible. But it does not logically follow from that that he would therefore be a failure as a statesman.
Old 12th November 2016, 01:58 PM

Quote:
wolty said View Post
If he had been convicted of sexual assault, rape, would you still say, 'yes he is a rapist ,but'? Where do you draw the line on this? Which minorities do you throw under the bus?
I draw the line at rape. I actually made a post on this forum (when I first joined) recommending capital punishment for violent rapists, but was howled down by the bleeding hearts.
Old 12th November 2016, 02:13 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
STOKER said View Post
I draw the line at rape. I actually made a post on this forum (when I first joined) recommending capital punishment for violent rapists, but was howled down by the bleeding hearts.
Bleeding hearts howl?

Bit lost there, seems some kind of mixed-metaphor.
Like two dogs liked this post
Old 12th November 2016, 03:26 PM
*Insert naughty words here*

Quote:
STOKER said View Post
Quote:
wolty said View Post
Um, she is hardly left. And as well she got more votes anyway. So no, not a 'fuck you' either.
But it would have been a "fuck you" to Trump, if Hillary had of won, right?
And she is certainly more left then Trump.
Quote:
STOKER said View Post
Quote:
loubert said View Post
Drop the left vs right bullshit for a start. Try subbing in hierarchical vs egalitarian, you'll get further.
You have a point there, granted.
Quote:
Also, stop assuming what others would have said if Hillary had won. Just because you decided to say it doesn't mean those in the opposite "camp" would have, damn sure there's a word for that type of thinking
Should have quit while you were ahead!
I wasn't assuming! I actually read nearly every post on the 'Donald Trump' and 'US Election, 2016 Edition' (I know, I was bored!),
so I made sure my statement was cut from the same cloth as all the other posts that were dripping with contempt and derision for Trump, including posts by Wolty and your good self!
Although I acknowledge the possibility that you all could have underwent complete personality transformations, and not laid the boot into Trump had he lost, but instead shown him shown incredible reverence and respect.
No. you did fucking assume. You don't get to wriggle out of that.

Old 12th November 2016, 03:29 PM

Quote:
STOKER said View Post
Quote:
wolty said View Post
If he had been convicted of sexual assault, rape, would you still say, 'yes he is a rapist ,but'? Where do you draw the line on this? Which minorities do you throw under the bus?
What is with your use of perjoratives(namely ones that conservatives seem to hurl) regarding those that disagree with you?

Old 12th November 2016, 04:43 PM

Quote:
loubert said View Post
What is with your use of perjoratives(namely ones that conservatives seem to hurl) regarding those that disagree with you?
Just a quick reply for now, as I'm off to get some lunch, we can talk some more when I get back, but I do have some Skype meetings arranged later (and violin practice), but I will try and address your 2 last posts.
I was engaged in a dialogue with wolty, and you interjected addressing me with undisguised contempt and disapproval, which I will point out is the dictionary definition of perjoratives, so, pot meet kettle.
I also didn't think the bleeding hearts line was that bad (is it?), you seem to be unusually touchy today (your reaction seems a little bit disproportionate that's all). But I will happily retract it if your ego demands it. Is that what you want, a public apology? I'm sorry I referred to some forum members as bleeding hearts for opposing capital punishment for violent rapists. There, is that better?
Regarding your other post I need to think about it a bit more, not sure if your on such solid ground on that one.
Old 12th November 2016, 05:14 PM

Quote:
STOKER said View Post
Quote:
loubert said View Post
Just a quick reply for now, as I'm off to get some lunch, we can talk some more when I get back, but I do have some Skype meetings arranged later (and violin practice), but I will try and address your 2 last posts.
I was engaged in a dialogue with wolty, and you interjected addressing me with undisguised contempt and disapproval, which I will point out is the dictionary definition of perjoratives, so, pot meet kettle.
I also didn't think the bleeding hearts line was that bad (is it?), you seem to be unusually touchy today (your reaction seems a little bit disproportionate that's all). But I will happily retract it if your ego demands it. Is that what you want, a public apology? I'm sorry I referred to some forum members as bleeding hearts for opposing capital punishment for violent rapists. There, is that better?
Regarding your other post I need to think about it a bit more, not sure if your on such solid ground on that one.
Ya fucking what? You can't be serious..

Old 12th November 2016, 10:56 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
wadaye said View Post
Quote:
wadaye said View Post
Quote:
Blue Lightning said View Post
Quote:
wadaye said View Post
... Trump on the other hand for all his race baiting did not stoop so low to pretend to preach from the church.
Utterly wrong, as far as substance is concerned: Trump is in the White House in no small part due of his explicit and repeated appeals to evangelicals. That he would appoint only anti-abortion judges to the Supreme Court, etc.

EDIT - see this and this and this, for example.
Granted. The balance remains however that the Dems appealed to God and lost it.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
I was meaning he didn't preach from the Church, or appear to. Based on what you've said maybe he did.
@BL
I was just reminded today on the radio about Trump's promise to Netanyahu to recognise Jerusalem as the undivided capital of Israel.
the analyst said he has no history on this issue and was just using it for political advantage. However the statement is profoundly ignorant and inflammatory and does indicate that the armagedonists have Trump's ear.
Old 12th November 2016, 11:10 PM
AFA Member

double post removed

Last edited by wadaye; 12th November 2016 at 11:59 PM.
Old 12th November 2016, 11:53 PM
What Me Deluded?

From Sarah Churchwell, The Guardian,

Quote:
The sucker punch for those of us who believe that this particular woman was spectacularly more ready for the White House than her grossly underqualified and abusive opponent is that as has historically been the case once again, a female candidate did not carry even the female vote. A staggering 53% of white women voted against Clinton and for the man whose statements and attitudes brought misogyny, kicking and screaming, into the light.
https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...rah-churchwell

I was wondering how many of those 53% of white women followed their husband's endorsement of the Trump, or perhaps it was following those men's disqualification of Hillary because of her gender? Were those women reluctant to defy their husbands, thus escaping the aggressive interrogation and intimidating criticism to follow, ongoing conflict if she'd been found to have gone other than his way?

Consistent with the rest of the bible, Christian women are admonished,

Ephesians 5:22-33King James Version (KJV)

22*Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord.
23*For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body.
24*Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing.