Go Back   AFA Forums > Secularism and Social Issues > Politics

Politics Political issues which help or hinder our society

Old 11th November 2016, 12:18 AM
"Mr Charles Darwin had the gall to ask"

Default Re: The US Election, 2016 Edition.

Re the killing of magnificent and endangered animals for sport - that is appalling conduct.

To the point underlying this: Clinton has a long history, in the US Senate (especially with respect to the US Endangered Species Act) and as Secretary of State (in relation to efforts to stop the killing and trafficking of animals) of past achievement.

She also took the most progressive environmental platform of any major party candidate to the election, and specifically stood up to Trump in relation to his suggestion that US domestic species protection laws should be wound back.

Last edited by Blue Lightning; 11th November 2016 at 12:22 AM.
Like wadaye liked this post
Thank wadaye thanked this post
Old 11th November 2016, 12:37 AM
See you at the snow....
Super Moderator

Quote:
However much people want to blame the Democrats, their voters or Clinton herself, the result of this election is due at least as much to anyone who pushed the narrative that Clinton and Trump were equally or even similarly “bad”.

Shame on them. The most qualified candidate in a generation was defeated by the least qualified of all time. That is what misogyny looks like, and, like all bigotries, it will end up dragging us all down.
From my previous Guardian link.

The Nizkor Project- Logical Fallacies

Atheist: n; A person to be pitied in that he is unable to believe things for which there is no evidence, and who has thus deprived himself of a convenient means of feeling superior to others.
—Chaz Bufe, The American Heretic’s Dictionary
Like Blue Lightning, Spearthrower liked this post
Old 11th November 2016, 12:39 AM
What Me Deluded?

Quote:
Will Donald Trump destroy America?

With Democrats defeated and Republicans scared to step out of line, Donald Trump’s control over the three branches of the US government means this horror show hasn’t yet begun.

Jonathan Freedland, Guardian
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...estroy-america
Old 11th November 2016, 12:39 AM
"Mr Charles Darwin had the gall to ask"

Having watched the campaigns and the election closely, I've seen nothing to suggest that Hillary Clinton -and many others- did not believe that she was the best candidate that the Dems could put forward. Certainly, there were others who had a different view, but that's the nature of collegiate decision-making. She -and many others- worked diligently to achieve her election. She will win the popular vote, and she damn near won.

That she was not successful against Trump within the structure of that multifaceted system, it seems to me, is certainly cause for careful reflection and, quite possibly, an adjustment of approaches in future.

What's troubling me here? I might be wrong, but I'm worried that there might be an undertone that somehow it's Hillary Clinton's fault that the electorate chose Trump.

If there's such a suggestion, I repudiate it.

Last edited by Blue Lightning; 11th November 2016 at 12:47 AM.
Like Spearthrower liked this post
Thank Strato thanked this post
Old 11th November 2016, 12:48 AM
What Me Deluded?

They would not countenance a woman, nor someone reasonable.
Old 11th November 2016, 12:49 AM
SIR Vacuous cunt
Administrator

Quote:
wolty said View Post
From my previous Guardian link.

Sorry but totally unsubstantiated, there is good reasons that Hillary was not the best candidate and her being a woman has nothing to do with it.

Those blaming the electoral results on people for pointing out she is not a glowing human being with some pretty bad history especially in foreign policy, let alone saying it is due to misogyny, are totally living in a bubble.

Best candidate in a generation? What?

Feel free to go back to my list and tell me why I should not mention those concerns, just because another option is more concerning.

I also think blaming it on misogyny is a cop out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

(delta p)*(delta q) >= h/(4*pi) ----- An explanation of Logical Fallacies : http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies ----- ferox deo vacuus vinco ----- How do I post video etc here?
Like joele liked this post
Old 11th November 2016, 12:55 AM

I see thousands are demonstrating agains Trump.
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-us...-idUSKBN1343CO
I am not sure this has ever happened before?
But in this case, it is totally justified. Don't let him of the hook.
Old 11th November 2016, 07:26 AM
AFA Member

Clinton was piss weak. I am not accusing he of being a woman butbof lacking the ability to recognise the fight that was being waged.
For example I read that Trump's solution to the decline in America and the working class getting poorer is to propose slashing business taxes to 15%. I never ever heard him talking about a living wage. Combined with his statements to massively increase funding to the military and military industrial complex that can only mean that some large groups of people have ro pay for this largesse.
Trump may try to protect his support base by externalising the costs to the environment, to minorities by slashing funding to social services, by making other oppressed groups or countries in the world pay, and of course cutting aid. He could also try to do what he said should be done for example by 'taking the Iraqi oil'.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Last edited by wadaye; 11th November 2016 at 07:43 AM.
Dislike Spearthrower, Blue Lightning disliked this post
Old 11th November 2016, 08:09 AM
AFA Member

Quote:
wadaye said View Post
Clinton was piss weak.
What does that even mean?

It seems like you're saying she didn't beat her chest, make up vitriolic bullshit, and hate on people.... because that's the only 'weak' element I can see.

Quote:
wadaye said View Post
I am not accusing he of being a woman butbof lacking the ability to recognise the fight that was being waged.
The 'fight' was the nastiest, most personal and hate-filled, school-bully style presidential nomination in the history of the US.

Sometimes, winning isn't worth acting against principles. Also, you have to remember the adage about wrestling pigs. I can't remotely see how not acting like this makes her 'weak' - I'd say it makes her classy, normal, adult.
Like Blue Lightning liked this post
Old 11th November 2016, 08:46 AM

Quote:
According to political scientist Larry Diamond, democracy consists of four key elements: (a) A political system for choosing and replacing the government through free and fair elections; (b) The active participation of the people, as citizens, in politics and civic life; (c) Protection of the human rights of all citizens, and (d) A rule of law, in which the laws and procedures apply equally to all citizens.
This sound reasonable to me.
Did a, b, c & d happen here?
a: Sure, i'll grant that.
b: Just over 50% turnout, not so sure.
c: You got to be shitting me
d: See c

There's a fine line between democracy and mob rule, maybe it's been crossed....