Go Back   AFA Forums > Secularism and Social Issues > Politics

Politics Political issues which help or hinder our society

Old 29th January 2017, 12:46 AM
AFA Member

Default Re: Political News Sticky.

Research funding by the market for all fields at the moment is not garnered towards human need, or the needs of humanity, but towards servicing those who hold access to the majority or largest shares of the world's resources, in the hope of acquiring some of those resources.
So i agree public funding is absolutely essential
Old 7th February 2017, 05:12 PM
See you at the snow....
Super Moderator

Andrew Bolt to Miranda Devine: I’m going to hang up

Quote:
Controversial commentators Andrew Bolt and Miranda Devine have been involved in a fiery political exchange on live radio that nearly ended when the former threatened to hang up.

Andrew Bolt — the controversial commentator and broadcaster — threatened to hang up on fellow conservative and News Corp (publisher of The Australian) colleague Ms Devine as the two argued on live radio over opinion polling and Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull’s chance of re-election.

The fracas erupted when Devine accused Bolt of only believing polls when they spelt doom for Turnbull, or when they were good news for former Prime Minister Tony Abbott.

“So you’re saying,” Devine told Bolt, “on the one hand you don’t believe the polls when they came to Tony Abbott, but you do believe the polls now when it comes to Malcolm Turnbull?”

Bolt retorted by saying Devine was ascribing views that he did not hold. But a minute later blew up when Devine again interrupted him.

“I know! I know! For Christ’s sake Miranda, listen to what I’m saying,” Bolt said.

“If you keep interrupting me, I’m afraid I’m going to hang up.”

Devine, a popular and controversial Daily Telegraph columnist, tried to calm Bolt, urging him not to “do this” saying that the pair had to get on as they had five weeks to work together while she fills in for Steve Price on 3AW’s Nights while he is in South Africa for the Channel Ten show I’m a Celebrity ... Get Me Out of Here!

But an exasperated Mr Bolt fired back saying the prospect of five weeks working with Devine was a “living hell” adding that he had managed to deal “nicely” with “every other fill-in except you”.

Ms Devine launched her own broadside at Bolt saying he was on her show and not to “dictate to me.”

“You don’t dictate to me what I do,” she said.

But Bolt again gave as good as he got saying: ‘No, it’s OUR show. If it’s your show, how about you do it without me.”

The pair are set to return to the airwaves at 8pm on Tuesday night.
It's actually tempting to listen to their tripe just in case Bolt loses his shit.

The Nizkor Project- Logical Fallacies

Atheist: n; A person to be pitied in that he is unable to believe things for which there is no evidence, and who has thus deprived himself of a convenient means of feeling superior to others.
—Chaz Bufe, The American Heretic’s Dictionary
Like DanDare liked this post
Laugh at Blue Lightning laughed at this post
Old 7th February 2017, 05:43 PM
Being a bigot makes me sick.

Quote:
wolty said View Post
Andrew Bolt to Miranda Devine: I’m going to hang up

It's actually tempting to listen to their tripe just in case Bolt loses his shit.
opcorn:
Like Blue Lightning liked this post
Old 9th February 2017, 06:01 PM
Religion or Reality, choose...

http://www.news.com.au/national/sout...f4036fccdc1ba7

Quote:
“The second unit at Pelican Point (power station) could’ve been turned on last night, it had gas, was ready to go and it wasn’t turned on. The national market isn’t working,” he said.
“We (the State Government) have been taking advice from the market operator and others but after last night we have to reassess. We will do what’s necessary to make sure SA has sufficient generation,” Mr Koutsantonis said.
“It’s my understanding that AEMO (Australian Energy Market Operator) was made aware more generation was available and chose not to turn that generation on. Serious questions have to be asked about why we had generation available that wasn’t used.”

“We don’t generate,” he said. “This is not an SA Power Networks issue — we are the muggins in the middle between the customer and generation supply.”
However the feds were ready to immediately jump about talking about "energy security" and pointing fingers at SA.

Quote:
Federal Energy Minister Josh Frydenberg said the blackout “is yet another example of Jay Weatherill’s failed experiment”.
“Because of the lack of base load generation there literally wasn’t enough electricity being produced to power the state,” he said.
“It’s time Labor both federally and at a state level recognised its high renewable energy targets are putting at risk energy security and affordability.”
There was a script all prepared and the polies leapt to it.

There is a 5 minute at a time bidding mechanism and spare capacity ready to go but it was not turned on even though the demand was there.

It makes me think of an earlier show:

Quote:
Documents released Monday by the Federal Energy Regulation Commission revealed Enron Corporation deliberately created real and imaginary shortages during the 2000-2001 California energy crisis, in order drive up prices and reap vast profits in the state’s newly deregulated energy market.
Internal memos from the now bankrupt company outline the various schemes Enron executives used to defraud officials running the state’s power grid, manipulate energy supplies and literally loot the state treasury of billions of dollars. Throughout this period Enron enjoyed the closest political ties with the Bush White House, which rejected appeals from California officials for federal intervention and the imposition of price caps.
https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2002/05/enro-m10.html

Burden of proof is the obligation on somebody presenting a claim to provide evidence to support its truth (a warrant). Once evidence has been presented, it is up to any opposing "side" to show the evidence presented is not adequate. If claims were accepted without warrants, then every claim could simultaneously be claimed to be true.

History isn't written by the victors. It's written by the people with the time machines.
Old 9th February 2017, 06:42 PM
Religion or Reality, choose...

And Sky News' Chris Kenny goes to town against those "global warming alarmists" and "solar power lovers". https://www.facebook.com/skynewsview...?hc_ref=SEARCH

Quote:
So 7 months ago...long before the September statewide blackout...we warned on #Viewpoint that this electricity crisis was a looming national issue....

Chris Kenny
25 July 2016 ·
South Australia is making a grand gesture when it comes to climate change, claiming a use of 40% renewable wind and solar power. But lets admit it, they aren't going to save the planet #viewpoint

Burden of proof is the obligation on somebody presenting a claim to provide evidence to support its truth (a warrant). Once evidence has been presented, it is up to any opposing "side" to show the evidence presented is not adequate. If claims were accepted without warrants, then every claim could simultaneously be claimed to be true.

History isn't written by the victors. It's written by the people with the time machines.
Old 2nd June 2017, 06:34 PM
"Mr Charles Darwin had the gall to ask"

So many choices as to where to put this!

PS - I love Samantha Bee!

Old 3rd June 2017, 09:02 AM
AFA Member

Quote:
DanDare said View Post
And Sky News' Chris Kenny goes to town against those "global warming alarmists" and "solar power lovers". https://www.facebook.com/skynewsview...?hc_ref=SEARCH

Quote:
So 7 months ago...long before the September statewide blackout...we warned on #Viewpoint that this electricity crisis was a looming national issue....

Chris Kenny
25 July 2016 ·
South Australia is making a grand gesture when it comes to climate change, claiming a use of 40% renewable wind and solar power. But lets admit it, they aren't going to save the planet #viewpoint
I love the way when transmission lines are blown over its because of the wind turbine,
Old 3rd June 2017, 03:34 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
wadaye said View Post
I love the way when transmission lines are blown over its because of the wind turbine,

Well all those fans making that extra wind don't you know!

And on politics and political figures, John Adams, a former top political advisor has put out his list of the top ten political figures in Australian history (political doesn't mean politician here methinks, just people who have had a great political effect on society)

Oh yes, guess where our current crop of political non-entities come on the list? Oh you noticed they didn't appear at all...surprise!

http://www.news.com.au/finance/work/...5246b97514cb17

I think he has compiled a good list, we won't all agree with it certainly, but in my opinion Menzies was a well deserved didn't-make-the-grade!
Old 3rd June 2017, 03:43 PM
*Insert naughty words here*

Quote:
stevebrooks said View Post
Quote:
wadaye said View Post

Well all those fans making that extra wind don't you know!

And on politics and political figures, John Adams, a former top political advisor has put out his list of the top ten political figures in Australian history (political doesn't mean politician here methinks, just people who have had a great political effect on society)

Oh yes, guess where our current crop of political non-entities come on the list? Oh you noticed they didn't appear at all...surprise!

http://www.news.com.au/finance/work/...5246b97514cb17

I think he has compiled a good list, we won't all agree with it certainly, but in my opinion Menzies was a well deserved didn't-make-the-grade!
Howard should never have been on that list.

Old 6th August 2017, 08:22 AM
I am no feeble Christ, not me.

Garma: Dr Galarrwuy Yunupingu calls for Australia's 'final settlement'

Another great article by Stan Grant. It makes me think third party voting choice needs to be more strongly influenced by indigenous policy, because the first two parties are failing completely. It should be up there as a matter of urgency, because Australia as a nation is lacking in moral legitimacy until there is satisfactory progress in this area.

Quote:
There are two truths here at Garma; there is the truth of the Indigenous plea for justice and recognition and there is the truth of politics.

MrShorten was correct about one thing — he said "people feel politics has failed them".

Thisis not just in Indigenous affairs. It is not just in Australia. This is a global malaise.
Like The Irreverent Mr Black liked this post