Go Back   AFA Forums > Secularism and Social Issues > Politics

Politics Political issues which help or hinder our society

Old 1st November 2016, 07:30 PM
Being a bigot makes me sick.

opcorn:
Old 2nd November 2016, 07:55 AM
Religion or Reality, choose...

Default Re: Political News Sticky.

What a shock, that a family farce senator could add corrupt behaviour to his list of failings. [/sarcasm]

Burden of proof is the obligation on somebody presenting a claim to provide evidence to support its truth (a warrant). Once evidence has been presented, it is up to any opposing "side" to show the evidence presented is not adequate. If claims were accepted without warrants, then every claim could simultaneously be claimed to be true.

History isn't written by the victors. It's written by the people with the time machines.
Old 2nd November 2016, 05:35 PM
You get what everyone gets....you get a lifetime

Quote:
The federal government will ask the Senate to refer a challenge to the eligibility of One Nation senator Rod Culleton to the high court, the second such referral in as many days after the referral of*Bob Day*after his resignation.
Linky

Could the last one out please turn off the lights?

Old 1st December 2016, 05:02 PM
This space for rent
Super Moderator

I love politics sometimes.

Quote:
Let me just get something clear on the backpacker tax deal.

The 15% headline rate and the 65% superannuation rate is broadly the same amount as the Hinch/Culleton/Lambie/Labor rate of 13% and 95% superannuation. Or revenue neutral, as they say in the classics.

BUT:

The spending commitment of an extra $100m to Landcare is ON TOP of the tax deal.

So the Greens deal costs the government more than the Labor deal would have at 13%.

https://www.theguardian.com/australi...-politics-live
The LNP accepted a deal with the Greens that costs more than a deal with Labor.

Something about cutting and noses.

The Nizkor Project- Logical Fallacies

Atheist: n; A person to be pitied in that he is unable to believe things for which there is no evidence, and who has thus deprived himself of a convenient means of feeling superior to others.
—Chaz Bufe, The American Heretic’s Dictionary
Like DanDare liked this post
Old 1st December 2016, 06:22 PM

Quote:
wolty said View Post
I love politics sometimes.

The LNP accepted a deal with the Greens that costs more than a deal with Labor.

Something about cutting and noses.
But the LNP won and the ALP are just obstructionist do no goobders and it's all their fault.

/end sarcasm.
Like wolty liked this post
Old 2nd December 2016, 12:47 AM
AFA Member

The worse part for me was Malcolm on the radio (ABC) this morning carrying on about Labor trying to help rich European kids by allowing them to pay less tax than Australian's. Then he acted like he gave a shit about pacific Islanders, my arse.

1) Farmers were calling in all day saying most backpackers that work for them are not really rich, it is why they need to work ffs.

2) Even a 10% tax considering the low yearly income of backpackers is more than Australian's pay as their is no tax free threshold for backpackers.. Despite days of liberals claiming 10% tax is lower than Australian's pay. Yeah 19% and only above 18k per year which most backpackers won't even earn.

I screamed at the radio and had to turn it off :-/ I can't stand listening to the outright lying for political purposes.

“Religion the protector of the well fed and consoler of the hungry.” - Mikhail Bakunin
Like wolty, DanDare, knowledge is power liked this post
Old 13th January 2017, 11:36 AM
AFA Member

One Nation seems to attract candidates that are just plain crazy

"One Nation candidate Peter Rogers' blog claims drowned Syrian toddler photo, Port Arthur massacre fake"
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-01-1...s-fake/8179250
Old 13th January 2017, 11:46 AM
AFA Member

Quote:
joele said View Post
The worse part for me was Malcolm on the radio (ABC) this morning carrying on about Labor trying to help rich European kids by allowing them to pay less tax than Australian's. Then he acted like he gave a shit about pacific Islanders, my arse.

1) Farmers were calling in all day saying most backpackers that work for them are not really rich, it is why they need to work ffs.

2) Even a 10% tax considering the low yearly income of backpackers is more than Australian's pay as their is no tax free threshold for backpackers.. Despite days of liberals claiming 10% tax is lower than Australian's pay. Yeah 19% and only above 18k per year which most backpackers won't even earn.

I screamed at the radio and had to turn it off :-/ I can't stand listening to the outright lying for political purposes.
The first thing to say is that the tax system is fucked because capital is not taxed. So house owners are making 300 to 500 dollars a day tax free that wage earners have to catch up by earning far more and paying tax on that, justto get into the market.
But for backpackers they pay effectively lower tax rates than Australians vecause they don't normally work a full tax year as ia single year income is spread over two tax years. Add to that that Australians are repaying HECS and so on and there may be a very very large advantage to backpacjers compared to Auatralians. This allows for wages to be cut which backpackers can tolerate but Australians can't
Old 27th January 2017, 02:02 PM
AFA Member

http://www.news.com.au/national/brea...74a636cbd61dca

I see that David Leyonhjelm has claimed that government should stop funding all medial research.

Quote:
"Everyone loves medical research," Senator Leyonhjelm told AAP on Friday.

"But world's best practice is the American model in which research is largely funded by philanthropy and private donations.
Anyone using the USA as worlds best practice in anything needs to be given a sound lesson in ethics and responsibility.

Quote:
Senator Leyonhjelm said a study had shown for every $100 of government funding, private donations go down by $73.
He said, using the common tactic of claiming "study" without actually linking or citing references so that we can go and look at the research ourselves.

Quote:
"It's concerning to see that after pouring more and more money into the field, the only thing we seem to be producing is a greater sense of entitlement amongst our researchers," he said.
That's funny I was under the impression that Australia was leading in a number of fields in medicine and medical research.

And he went on to say;

Quote:
"Very few medical research projects produce tangible results because it is a difficult field that is globally competitive.
So not something that gives a big return, is difficult and very competitive, the very things that usually discourage private investment except for a few visionaries!

Quote:
"Creating a huge pool of money to be dispensed by bureaucrats will just divert good scientists from worthwhile research in other areas that probably have better prospects."
And the usual argument against pure research because "I know better where the money should be spent," said the supremely unqualified senator who's only interest seems to be getting more guns out to Australians.
Old 28th January 2017, 08:58 PM

Quote:
stevebrooks said View Post
http://www.news.com.au/national/brea...74a636cbd61dca

I see that David Leyonhjelm has claimed that government should stop funding all medial research.

Anyone using the USA as worlds best practice in anything needs to be given a sound lesson in ethics and responsibility.

He said, using the common tactic of claiming "study" without actually linking or citing references so that we can go and look at the research ourselves.

That's funny I was under the impression that Australia was leading in a number of fields in medicine and medical research.

And he went on to say;

So not something that gives a big return, is difficult and very competitive, the very things that usually discourage private investment except for a few visionaries!

And the usual argument against pure research because "I know better where the money should be spent," said the supremely unqualified senator who's only interest seems to be getting more guns out to Australians.
We are world leaders in medical research in Australia, particularly around anti-venoms (because of all the venomous things in Aust) and vaccines largely due to people like Sir Gustav Nossal.

On an economic POV research that is "blue sky" i.e. studies in which a scientist is funded to study their interest, not a specific target, have always returned the most money from discoveries (that being said, the 5 minute internet search didn't produce a clear piece supporting this).