Go Back   AFA Forums > Secularism and Social Issues > Politics

Politics Political issues which help or hinder our society

Old 15th June 2016, 09:13 PM
See you at the snow....
Super Moderator

Default Re: Political News Sticky.

Um, irony?

The Nizkor Project- Logical Fallacies

Atheist: n; A person to be pitied in that he is unable to believe things for which there is no evidence, and who has thus deprived himself of a convenient means of feeling superior to others.
—Chaz Bufe, The American Heretic’s Dictionary
Like Daniel87 liked this post
Old 15th June 2016, 09:38 PM
Religion or Reality, choose...

Far out, does CB never listen to his own speeches?

Quote:
The senator found himself in hot water for suggesting in Parliament that legalising gay marriage could trigger demands for bestiality and polygamy to be legalised as well.
Full Article...

Quote:
In an emailed response Mr Bernardi on February 16 wrote: “Bullying isn’t something confined to homosexuals yet you are encouraging a program that actually bullies heterosexual children into submission for the gay agenda”.
Full Article...

Burden of proof is the obligation on somebody presenting a claim to provide evidence to support its truth (a warrant). Once evidence has been presented, it is up to any opposing "side" to show the evidence presented is not adequate. If claims were accepted without warrants, then every claim could simultaneously be claimed to be true.

History isn't written by the victors. It's written by the people with the time machines.

Last edited by DanDare; 15th June 2016 at 09:44 PM.
Old 16th June 2016, 01:27 AM
What Me Deluded?

Christian rhetoric goes on about searching the thoughts and intents of the heart, repentance, self control, behaviour change.

Religion is an obstacle, an obstruction to insight. Bernardi is obsessed.
Old 16th June 2016, 10:36 PM
Extant

Unless I misheard, on Annabelle Crabb's Kitchen Cabinet this evening, Michaelia Cash discussing "working hard" and "levels of society" was heard to say, "... some people have the opportunity to access welfare".

"opportunity", that was.

Old 17th June 2016, 01:34 AM
Being a bigot makes me sick.

Quote:
Xeno said View Post
Unless I misheard, on Annabelle Crabb's Kitchen Cabinet this evening, Michaelia Cash discussing "working hard" and "levels of society" was heard to say, "... some people have the opportunity to access welfare".

"opportunity", that was.

Well only politicians have the opportunity to get the post pollie pensions.
Old 17th June 2016, 11:16 AM
AFA Member

Creating divisive election campaigns can lead to serious problems, but of course the entire point of an election campaign is that it is divisive, the main problems come when politicians create campaigns over issues that are best sorted out in parliamentary debate, such as the same sex marriage, terrorism and other issues. The general public shouldn't be be expected, indeed can't be relied upon to make sensible decisions about issues like that. We have recently seen where that leads to in the UK;

http://www.news.com.au/world/europe/...889b22ea70366d

It's quite likely that the man was indeed mentally unstable, but it's the mentally unstable who are most seriously affected by these sorts of debates. There are some things best left to parliament and it seems that only when the tide is turning on public opinion, such as same sex marriage, that it suddenly becomes an election or campaign issue.

I trust we don't have a similar incident in Australia, but the same sex plebiscite is going to be so divisive if the liberals get back in that it can't really be ruled out.
Old 17th June 2016, 12:36 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
It's quite likely that the man was indeed mentally unstable, but it's the mentally unstable who are most seriously affected by these sorts of debates. There are some things best left to parliament and it seems that only when the tide is turning on public opinion, such as same sex marriage, that it suddenly becomes an election or campaign issue.

I trust we don't have a similar incident in Australia, but the same sex plebiscite is going to be so divisive if the liberals get back in that it can't really be ruled out.

Definitely can't be ruled out. There is still around a third of the population who disagree with same sex marriage. What can be relied upon is a hate campaign under the guise of free speech for those against the plebiscite.

A common feeling among those in the community is the only thing stopping a Orlando style shooting is our gun laws. I'd like to think that's not true but just the fact that my friends think this saddens the fuck out of me.
Marx was wrong. Religion is not the opiate of the people. Opium suggests something soporific, numbing, dulling. Too often religion has been an aphrodisiac for horror, a Benzedrine for bestiality. At its best it has lifted spirits and raised spires. At its worst it has turned entire civilizations into cemeteries.- Phillip Adams

Last edited by Loki; 17th June 2016 at 12:44 PM. Reason: Fixed tags
Old 17th June 2016, 08:46 PM
Buffoon

Quote:
stevebrooks said View Post
Creating divisive election campaigns can lead to serious problems, but of course the entire point of an election campaign is that it is divisive, the main problems come when politicians create campaigns over issues that are best sorted out in parliamentary debate, such as the same sex marriage, terrorism and other issues. The general public shouldn't be be expected, indeed can't be relied upon to make sensible decisions about issues like that. We have recently seen where that leads to in the UK;

The MP from my local area, not my constituency but one down the round. I noticed last night there was a police presence outside my local MPs constituency.

This isn't supposed to happen here.

"'Science doesn't know everything' - which is true. Because if it did, it would stop" - Dara O'Briain
Like Spearthrower liked this post
Old 17th June 2016, 08:49 PM
See you at the snow....
Super Moderator

Quote:
Sendraks said View Post
Quote:
stevebrooks said View Post

The MP from my local area, not my constituency but one down the round. I noticed last night there was a police presence outside my local MPs constituency.

This isn't supposed to happen here.
Indeed. I heard a local there interviewed who said exactly that, the place just isn't like America or a third world country.

Interesting statement.

The Nizkor Project- Logical Fallacies

Atheist: n; A person to be pitied in that he is unable to believe things for which there is no evidence, and who has thus deprived himself of a convenient means of feeling superior to others.
—Chaz Bufe, The American Heretic’s Dictionary
Old 17th June 2016, 08:53 PM
Buffoon

Unfortunately in the UK the right wing extremist views which are drawn towards the brexit vote, have a long history of violence and intimidation against individuals and groups they disagreed with.

In an environment as heated as the EU debate has become, combined with the nationalism and jingoism fuelled by the Euro Cup 2016, it is perhaps not surprising that something like this has occurred.

It is also not the first time a UK MP has been attacked in or around their constituency office, because a member of the public disagreed with them. It, however, the first one has been murdered where a firearm was involved.

"'Science doesn't know everything' - which is true. Because if it did, it would stop" - Dara O'Briain
Like Spearthrower, wolty liked this post