Go Back   AFA Forums > Secularism and Social Issues > Politics

Politics Political issues which help or hinder our society

Old 9th December 2014, 05:58 PM
This space for rent
Super Moderator

Default Political News Sticky.

As the thread title suggests, post your complaints here. Doesn't have to be Australian.

The Nizkor Project- Logical Fallacies

Atheist: n; A person to be pitied in that he is unable to believe things for which there is no evidence, and who has thus deprived himself of a convenient means of feeling superior to others.
—Chaz Bufe, The American Heretic’s Dictionary
Old 9th December 2014, 06:00 PM
This space for rent
Super Moderator

Default Re: Political News Sticky.

And I have one to start.

When politics and climate change collide, change the laws, that'll fix it.

Jeff Seeney orders Moreton Bay Regional Council to remove references to climate change-derived sea level rises from regional plan

Quote:
Queensland Deputy Premier Jeff Seeney has intervened to force the removal of all references to climate change-derived sea level rises from the regional plan of Moreton Bay Regional Council, a decision experts say could have wide ramifications.

In a letter to the council dated November 28, Mr Seeney wrote: "I direct council to amend its draft planning scheme to remove any assumption about a theoretical projected sea level rise from all and any provision of the scheme."

The council is obliged by law to obey the direction.

Councils across Queensland are now worried they could face huge liabilities for failing to take climate change into consideration in local planning, and the Local Government Association of Queensland (LGAQ) has sought legal advice on their behalf.

Some of the biggest coastal councils including Brisbane, Sunshine Coast and Townsville have also incorporated the same assumption of a 0.8-metre rise in sea level by the year 2100 that Mr Seeney has ordered be removed in Moreton Bay.

The Nizkor Project- Logical Fallacies

Atheist: n; A person to be pitied in that he is unable to believe things for which there is no evidence, and who has thus deprived himself of a convenient means of feeling superior to others.
—Chaz Bufe, The American Heretic’s Dictionary
Old 9th December 2014, 08:34 PM
Feminazi and semi-professional inconoclast

Won't this quickly become the: "Abbott is incompetent, Klingenschmit has a piece of schmit klingen to the corner of his mouth and the Tea Party make the other US Republicans look sane" thread???

If yes, I am subscribing.

Last edited by workmx; 9th December 2014 at 08:35 PM.
Old 10th December 2014, 06:47 PM
Religion or Reality, choose...

Quote:
wolty said View Post
And I have one to start.

When politics and climate change collide, change the laws, that'll fix it.

Jeff Seeney orders Moreton Bay Regional Council to remove references to climate change-derived sea level rises from regional plan

There must be some legal balance to the directive. What if he directed them not to consider growth in car use or changes in population? Any one of these would screw the planning to the point of useless.

Burden of proof is the obligation on somebody presenting a claim to provide evidence to support its truth (a warrant). Once evidence has been presented, it is up to any opposing "side" to show the evidence presented is not adequate. If claims were accepted without warrants, then every claim could simultaneously be claimed to be true.

History isn't written by the victors. It's written by the people with the time machines.
Old 10th December 2014, 06:49 PM
Religion or Reality, choose...

Quote:
On coming to office, the LNP removed a Bligh government requirement for councils to incorporate the 0.8-metre rise in sea level, putting itself at odds with the insurance industry and the majority of scientific opinion.
This must surely make the state government liable as it has taken planing control away from the councils, who would otherwise have performed their task appropriately.

Burden of proof is the obligation on somebody presenting a claim to provide evidence to support its truth (a warrant). Once evidence has been presented, it is up to any opposing "side" to show the evidence presented is not adequate. If claims were accepted without warrants, then every claim could simultaneously be claimed to be true.

History isn't written by the victors. It's written by the people with the time machines.
Old 11th December 2014, 03:11 PM

Former Rep. Joe Walsh applauds torture: Rectal feeding is ‘job description’ of an ‘American hero’
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/12/f...american-hero/

Quote:
adio host and former Republican Rep. Joe Walsh suggested on Wednesday that anyone who participated in torture techniques like rectal forced feedings or chaining prisoners naked to the floor were “American heroes.”

After Sen. Dianne Feinstein released the Senate Intelligence Committee’s long-delayed report on the CIA’s use of torture on Tuesday, Walsh had tweeted, “Good. Big deal. Now go focus on defeating the Islamic enemy.”

“I’m glad they put the report out,” he explained to CNN host Carol Costello on Wednesday. “I’m glad though because I don’t think we should be ashamed of what we put out. Again, we’re fighting an evil enemy. There are times when we need to get our hands dirty when we fight that enemy.”

Continues...
Old 11th December 2014, 03:20 PM

Rick Perry: The Bible proves that poverty is inevitable

http://www.salon.com/2014/12/10/rick...is_inevitable/

Quote:
Outgoing Texas governor isn't sweating his state's sorry statistics on inequality

Texas may have the country’s highest rate of people who lack health insurance and rank in the top 10 states with the highest poverty levels, but Gov. Rick Perry can’t be bothered. In an interview with the Washington Post published today, Perry suggested that the Bible proves that poverty is “always going to be with us.”

As he prepares to hand over the reins to Gov.-elect Greg Abbott next month, Perry is turning his attention toward mounting a second White House bid, despite facing a criminal indictment and vivid memories of how he spectacularly imploded during his disastrous 2012 presidential campaign. It remains to be seen whether Perry will succeed in his effort to have the abuse of power charges against him tossed out, but for now, the Republican is beefing up on public policy, seeking to avoid the kinds of embarrassing stumbles that doomed his last campaign. Among the issues on which he’s consulted experts, the Post reports, is income inequality.
But Perry doesn’t see inequality as a particularly big problem, and he’s certainly not going to champion an all-out war on poverty.

Continues...
Old 11th December 2014, 03:22 PM

Republicans love local control, except when they don't
http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-s...when-they-dont

Quote:
When the voters of Colorado decided to legalize use of marijuana, pot became legal statewide. When voters in the state of Washington decided to legalize use of marijuana, pot became legal there, too. And this year, voters in Washington, D.C., went to the polls and overwhelmingly agreed to legalize up to 2 ounces of marijuana for adult, recreational use.

The difference is, unlike every state, the people of the District of Columbia have to worry whether Congress will allow these Americans – who pay federal taxes but have no voice in federal lawmaking – to approve their own policies.

In theory, this shouldn’t be too big a problem. After all, congressional Democrats don’t care if D.C. voters voted to legalize small amounts of pot, and congressional Republicans claim to believe in a small federal government that emphasizes local control.

But the funny thing about Republican principles is just how malleable they can be. The Washington Post reported overnight:
The District will be prohibited from legalizing marijuana for the much of the coming year under a spending deal reached Tuesday…. The development – upending voter-approved Initiative 71 – shocked elected D.C. leaders, advocates for marijuana legalization and civil liberties groups who earlier in the day had grown confident that the measure would be at least partially protected while Democrats still controlled the Senate.

However, with Republicans set to take control of the chamber in January, the defeat suggested that the will of D.C. voters – who approved marijuana legalization last month by a margin of more than 2 to 1 – may be suspended indefinitely.
To be sure, Senate Democrats tried to push back against the change, but House Republicans were insistent – and with a deadline looming, Dems didn’t see this as an issue worthy of a shutdown.

So, at the demand of far-right Republicans, the big federal government will crush the popular will of local voters, simply because conservative lawmakers feel like it.

Indeed, D.C. is now left in a very awkward policy position, forced on the city by a Congress in which voters have no voice.

Continues...
Old 11th December 2014, 03:47 PM

NOTE; This is comedy - not a real story:

Brandis: Being Heckled By David Hicks Was Like Some Horrible Torture
http://www.sbs.com.au/comedy/article...rrible-torture

Quote:
Attorney-General George Brandis has admitted being heckled by former Guantanamo Bay inmate David Hicks was “like enduring a horrible torture I didn’t deserve”.

“It was disgusting. It was humiliating,” Brandis said while recovering from the incident. “It just went on for so long. Thirty, maybe even forty seconds. And the worst part: the people around me could have stopped it at any time and chose to do nothing.

“You think someone would have taught David some manners in those five years he was imprisoned.”

Addressing the media this morning, the Attorney-General still seemed genuinely shaken by the incident.

“I tried to calm down with a glass of water as soon as I got off stage, but I was shaking and I ended up pouring too much water into my mouth and it felt for a moment like I was drowning. I just had too much water on board! I thought, you know, this is probably the worst thing that’s ever happened to anyone.

“It didn’t end, either! Later that night I forgot to turn off the lights before I got into bed and I couldn’t sleep! My sleep was entirely deprived for the forty-five seconds it took to get up and turn off the light again. It’s inhumane!”

Last edited by workmx; 11th December 2014 at 03:48 PM.
Old 11th December 2014, 03:53 PM

A long way to go for the Prime Minister for Aboriginal Affairs

Prime Minister Tony Abbott is quietly failing on his "Prime Minister for Indigenous Affairs" promise.

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2...iginal-affairs

Quote:
Tony Abbott has made much of his concern for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples’ advancement, declaring himself the Prime Minister for Aboriginal Affairs.

After his first year of government, we see little advancement and in fact many argue that things are worse.

We now have a muddle of responsibilities, with a Prime Minister for Aboriginal Affairs and much of the bureaucracy dragged into PM&C, who aren't used to running programs.

The Minister for Indigenous Affairs now seems to be the Minister for truancy, safe communities and jobs while the Parliament Secretary seems to be tasked with implementing Andrew Forrest's wish list.

There is chaos around implementing the Indigenous Advancement Strategy, with uncertainty over funding, continuity of services and supports, and cuts to programs, including Aboriginal legal aid.
In this climate, it is no wonder that Social Justice Commissioner Mick Gooda has some strong words to say in his Social Justice & Native Title Report 2014.

The report is an important, comprehensive document that reviews the year from a social perspective.

It examines the Racial Discrimination Act and proposed changes to racial hatred provisions. It talks about native title, creating safer communities, self-determination and a new era of Indigenous governance, and giving effect to the UN Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples.
In the Senate, I made a point of addressing the comments made by the Social Justice Commissioner, Mr Mick Gooda, on the Indigenous Advance Strategy and some of the budget measures, particularly those related to Closing the Gap.

Mr Gooda speaks about this year’s budget measures, saying it ‘has been a year characterised by deep funding cuts, the radical re-shaping of existing programs and services, and the development of new programs and services’.

In particular, Mr Gooda points out that details about the Government’s Indigenous Advance Strategy have been scant, with minimal involvement of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples. The lack of consultation around the Government’s approach is very concerning.

The report also speaks about legal aid and the Government’s $13.4 million cut to the Indigenous Legal Aid and Policy Reform Program, which take effect from 1 July 2015, and will result in essential front line services being lost.

This is one example of the impact of the $534.4 million in cuts that have been made from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander programs, as 150 programs are collapsed into five. The Commissioner notes any savings from this so-called will not be reinvested into Indigenous Affairs and Closing the Gap initiatives.

As a result, progress towards closing the gap targets faces being seriously compromised.

The just released Productivity Commission Access to Justice Arrangements report also makes the point that frontline legal services will be lost with the cut in legal aid funding. When Aboriginal incarceration rates are continuing to climb cutting funds for legal aid is not the sign of a Government that cares about Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.

Another report, Overcoming Indigenous Disadvantage, released a couple of weeks ago, highlighted the growing gap in incarceration rates in Australia.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Australians make up only 2.3 per cent of the adult population but over a quarter of the adult prison population as at 30 June 2013. Between 2000 and 2013, the imprisonment rate for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander adults increased by 57.4 per cent and in 2012-13, the daily average detention rate for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander young people was around 24 times the rate for non-Indigenous young people.

The government's cuts to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander programs will only make the situation worse as we see critical services lose funding.
Many people are calling for the establishment of justice targets to help provide a clear framework in which the federal and state and territory governments can work with communities and peak Aboriginal organisations to look at how to address this appalling statistic and appalling failure of our system. Unfortunately the Federal Government has rejected these calls for justice targets.

As Mr Gooda recommends we also need to be investing in justice reinvestment as part of the approach to addressing the underlying causes of incarceration.

For too long, governments at the state, territory and Commonwealth levels have been sitting on their hands when it comes to addressing this evidence based approach.

Of course, you cannot talk about incarceration of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples without talking about deaths in custody. Most of the 339 recommendations of the Royal Commission into Aboriginal Deaths in Custody still haven't been implemented and we see no willingness from the PM for Aboriginal Affairs to take a lead on this issue.

Likewise, there must be action on the issue of the indefinite incarceration of people with cognitive impairments. Predominantly, this affects Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples. Many of the people who continue to be held indefinitely in custody have been found unfit to stand trial.
We heard this week that Australia has breached its obligations, under various UN conventions, for four Aboriginal men with cognitive impairments in the Northern Territory.

The response from this government has been to wash their hands of this issue, to disagree with the Australian Human Rights Commission's findings and to say that it is not the government's responsibility.

The government basically attacked the Australian Human Rights Commission for the findings it made in relation to these four men rather than seeking to act to address this travesty of justice.

It is clear from the Social Justice Commissioner's report, the Overcoming Disadvantage report and the Accessing Justice Report that the Prime Minister for Aboriginal Affairs has a long way to go before he can claim he is adequately addressing Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander disadvantage.

Senator Rachel Siewert is the Greens spokesperson on family and community services.