Go Back   AFA Forums > Secularism and Social Issues > Politics

Politics Political issues which help or hinder our society

Old 15th December 2016, 10:32 PM
I, for one, welcome our new insect overlord.

Default Eddie.

As much as I feel I should be above this - I can barely express the joy I felt today when I heard that Eddie Obeid had been subjected to those dreadful words, 'take the prisoner down'.

Tip o' the hat to Kate McClymont and the ICAC. As a bonus, I am very glad to see this resulting in some positive headlines for the ICAC.

And there is more to come...

http://www.smh.com.au/video/video-ne...215-4og74.html

'[They] agreed that it was neither possible nor necessary to educate people who never questioned anything.' ― Joseph Heller, Catch-22

'While on the other hand, dachshunds are always out of their depth.' - Cyclist

'I'm 'a' problem, not 'the' problem.' - Wolty

'You have to be odd to be number one.' - Dr Suess

Last edited by odd; 15th December 2016 at 10:42 PM.
Like two dogs, wolty, Strato, joele, Darwinsbulldog and 2 others liked this post
Old 16th December 2016, 09:18 PM
AFA Member

Default Re: Eddie.

Yeah. The evil Fishie whooped. A lot. She's got no sympathy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 17th December 2016, 03:05 PM
*Insert naughty words here*

Good.

Federal ICAC is needed.

Thank The Irreverent Mr Black thanked this post
Old 17th December 2016, 08:35 PM
"Mr Charles Darwin had the gall to ask"

For any interested, the judgment on his sentence is here.
Thank The Irreverent Mr Black, LadyGreen thanked this post
Old 2nd June 2017, 03:16 PM

Ian Macdonald jailed for 10 years for misconduct in public office, John Maitland also imprisoned

Quote:
Former NSW Labor minister Ian Macdonald is sentenced to 10 years' jail over the decision to grant a mining licence to a company run by former union boss John Maitland, who will spend at least four years behind bars.

In sentencing, Justice Adamson described Macdonald as "devious" and said he had betrayed the people of NSW.

"The coal resources of New South Wales, which should have been used for the benefit of the whole society, were squandered by the criminal conduct of the very person who was trusted to safeguard them," she said.

Former NSW Labor minister Ian Macdonald jailed for up to 10 years over coal deal

Quote:
Former NSW Labor minister Ian Macdonald will join his one-time political ally Eddie Obeid in prison after the Supreme Court jailed him for a maximum of 10 years for criminal misconduct for giving a lucrative coal exploration licence to a former union boss.

Macdonald, 68, is the second Labor figure to be jailed after explosive corruption inquiries that kicked off in November 2012.

In a scathing judgment on Friday, Justice Christine Adamson said Macdonald knew giving a multimillion-dollar coal exploration licence to a company chaired by his political associate John Maitland "looked bad and was bad".

He had engaged in a "desperate attempt to justify the unjustifiable" and "sought to cloak his misconduct" in the "apparently worthy" venture of a training mine to promote mining safety.

Justice Adamson said the deal with Doyles Creek Mining was deliberately announced on Christmas Eve 2008 so that it would "pass unnoticed".

"The people of NSW were betrayed by Mr Macdonald's conduct," Justice Adamson said.

In a detailed judgment lasting more than three hours, she said Macdonald was "devious" and had a "misplaced sense of entitlement".

She sentenced Macdonald to 10 years in prison with a non-parole period of seven years, expiring on May 25, 2024.

Last edited by Blue Lightning; 2nd June 2017 at 03:24 PM.
Old 2nd June 2017, 03:51 PM

Video snippets at SMH / Fairfax link, above.

For any interested, the full decision is here.
Old 14th September 2017, 09:33 AM

Quote:
odd said View Post
As much as I feel I should be above this - I can barely express the joy I felt today when I heard that Eddie Obeid had been subjected to those dreadful words, 'take the prisoner down'. ...
Eddie Obeid loses appeal over misconduct conviction

Quote:
The state's highest court has thrown out an appeal brought by jailed former NSW Labor minister Eddie Obeid against his conviction and sentence for criminal misconduct.

On Wednesday, a five-judge bench of the Court of Criminal Appeal - headed by Chief Justice Tom Bathurst - rejected his appeal.

Obeid's legal team raised the novel argument that the courts had no jurisdiction to hear a misconduct in public office case because the matter was within the "exclusive cognisance" or jurisdiction of Parliament.

This would have had broader consequences for a number of criminal trials arising out of investigations by the state's corruption watchdog.

But the court rejected the argument and said the courts and Parliament had concurrent jurisdiction over criminal matters.

Justice Mark Leeming said there were "numerous" difficulties standing in the way of accepting the argument that Parliament alone had the power to determine the case.

Obeid's barrister, Guy Reynolds, SC, had also argued it was wrong to suggest Obeid owed a "legal duty" to act "only according to what he believed to be in the public interest and the interests of the electorate".

Mr Reynolds said there was no "duty of law" to this effect and it was a "mere matter of conscience" akin to "a duty to be nice to your mum".

But Chief Justice Bathurst said the submission "should be rejected".

The court also rejected an argument by Obeid's lawyers that his former legal team, who appeared at the trial, had caused a miscarriage of justice by failing to object to or tender certain evidence.

There were "sound forensic reasons" for the course taken by Obeid's former lawyers during the trial, the court found.

Similarly, the court rejected an argument that the jury acted unreasonably or contrary to law by finding Obeid's misconduct was "wilful" or intentional, which is a necessary element of the offence.

Chief Justice Bathurst noted Obeid was, at the time of the offence in 2007, "a parliamentarian of 16 years standing and had been a Minister for four of those years".

"It is inconceivable that a politician of that standing and experience did not know that his duty was to serve the public interest and that he was not elected to use his position to advance his own or his family's pecuniary interests," Chief Justice Bathurst said.

More at link.

The full judgment is here.
Like two dogs, odd liked this post
Thank The Irreverent Mr Black, Strato thanked this post