Go Back   AFA Forums > Secularism and Social Issues > Women's issues and equality

Women's issues and equality Safe zone for the discussion of women's rights and equality

Old 4th August 2013, 03:44 PM
Nasty

Default Re: All Things Sexist/ A Resource Thread

My most WTF sexologist moment to date: An open letter to the guy who called my PARENTS regarding whether or not I have raw-dog sex with my husband.

An email to a sexologist and her response.

I read that you have been with your guy for five years and have never had sex with him without using condoms. What is the point of that? What are you trying to prove? Now that you are MARRIED to him, are you going to allow him to have some condomless / bareback / raw / “naked penis" sex with you? You are not doing anything to help further the cause of sexual health by denying your husband of this perfectly natural activity that almost every other married couple in the world enjoys on a regular basis. If anything, you are discrediting yourself with this silly campaign.
I agree with you that condoms are a fact of life and arguably a necessity for those who are having sexual relations outside of a monogamous relationship, but it is ridiculous to promote them for people who are married or in committed relationships. Hormonal birth control works just fine for pregnancy prevention, and monogamy (with an uninfected partner) is 100% effective in preventing STIs. For a man, using a condom feels almost like wearing a piece of tupperware on his dick, and I do not understand why anyone would bother with them when they don’t have to…especially you and your HUSBAND.
If you’re interested in reading a realistic article about modern day sexual health and suggestions for sex educators, I recommend this one here…
http://joshkruger.wordpress.com/2013/02/18/condoms/
I urge you to please reconsider your narrow-minded approach to sex education and be more realistic in your advice to others. Thank you!
Old 6th August 2013, 09:57 PM
Nasty

Misogyny and the left – we need to start practicing what we preach.
TRIGGER WARNING: This article discusses rape, sexual assault, stalking.
I decided to write this after having a very difficult experience. Over the last few months a friend, her ex partner and I have been harassed, stalked, and our reputations dragged through the mud. Friends who have supported us have also been targeted by this harassment.
Most upsetting, the perpetrator has convinced a number of people to support his behavior, believing that he is the real victim. This is despite most of them not knowing any of us, never having bothered to find out the other side of the story, and the individual involved having a history of harassing women. These people, at the harassers word, have gone as far as to discuss whether my friend was raped, decide she was crying wolf, and call up the alleged perpetrator to inform him that they had decided she owed him an apology.......

Over recent years I’ve noticed a marked decline in the number of women participating in radical left groups compared to men. This is usually attributed to broader social pressures, such as having less time, being discouraged from participating in political issues etc. But in at least 2 groups I’ve been involved in I’ve seen instances where women members have been systematically targeted (sometimes even by other women) for bullying and harassment, compelling them to leave one after another. Even without such systematic attacks, the pressure of having to deal with continual sexism or abuse eventually wears many women down. It is very noticeable that the organisations that take sexism, especially individual sexism, seriously are the ones that still have higher percentages of female members
Old 8th August 2013, 07:22 PM
Nasty

GYNOCRATICGRRL

Got Any Questions? Archive
Where your gag comes from.

(TW: sexualized racism + misogyny, slavery) Discretion is highly advised.

Apparently, for some people (usually white in my experience), it’s difficult for them to comprehend the perspective that BDSM kink culture is neck-deep in racism and misogyny, particularly in the sexualization of racist-misogynistic historical practices. It’s become quite clear to me over months of pointing out the eerie similarities between the master/slave dynamic that’s common place in bondage subculture and the master/slave dynamic that was quite vividly practiced through patriarchal gender roles between men and women, as well as slavery…that many people struggle with being able to draw parallels between the techniques of torture slaves were subjected to and the methods of punishment “subs” are subjected to in kink culture. From the whipping to the gags.
It’s been communicated to me, based on the hesitant and confused reception of this argument, that I’m going to need to get visual. This post will include illustrations and imagery that may be potentially disturbing to some viewers, as well as triggering to people who feel mentally disarmed by images of black slavery and female oppression. This will not be my final post on the topic, but it will be an introduction to much larger, much more elaborate posts addressing the racist-patriarchal narratives usually replicated in kink culture (this does not exclude femdom kink practices, which I’ll be writing about in future posts).
Old 8th August 2013, 07:28 PM
Nasty

The Ghost Rapes of Bolivia

The Perpetrators Were Caught, but the Crimes Continue

Then, one night in June 2009, two men were caught trying to enter a neighbor’s home. The two ratted out a few friends and, falling like a house of cards, a group of nine Manitoba men, ages 19 to 43, eventually confessed that they had been raping Colony families since 2005. To incapacitate their victims and any possible witnesses, the men used a spray created by a veterinarian from a neighboring Mennonite community that he had adapted from a chemical used to anesthetize cows. According to their initial confessions (which they later recanted), the rapists admitted to—sometimes in groups, sometimes alone—hiding outside bedroom windows at night, spraying the substance through the screens to drug entire families, and then crawling inside.
But it wasn’t until their trial, which took place almost two years later, in 2011, that the full scope of their crimes came to light. The transcripts read like a horror movie script: Victims ranged in age from three to 65 (the youngest had a broken hymen, purportedly from finger penetration). The girls and women were married, single, residents, visitors, the mentally infirm. Though it’s never discussed and was not part of the legal case, residents privately told me that men and boys were raped, too.
Old 12th August 2013, 09:38 PM
Nasty

Burka Avenger: Can This Superhero Save Pakistan?

Any guesses as to the identity of this mysterious, black figure who's gliding from rooftop to rooftop, scanning the town for evil? No, it's not Batman. In fact, it's not a man at all. It is the one and only Burka Avenger, a Pakistani schoolteacher otherwise known as Jiya who fights evil with Takht Kabaddi, a slick form of martial arts that uses books and pens as weaponry. By day, Jiya is a quiet, reserved teacher in the fictional town of Halwapur, and by night, she is a fierce defender of social justice.
Burka Avenger is a groundbreaking superhero for a number of reasons: she is an empowered woman, her sidekicks are three children, her cause is social justice, and she's primarily focused on universal education. And Burka Avenger's enemies, corrupt politicians and Taliban-like militants, are very real. Yet, despite all the laudable ingenuity and boldness behind the character, discussion about Burka Avenger has somehow focused on debate over her attire.
Old 13th August 2013, 01:44 AM
Wonder if the beer tastes as good?
Super Moderator

Why I didn't scream when I was being raped

Trigger warning: discussions of sexual assault.
Quote:
Practically the first thing you're taught in a course on how to respond to a rapist is that you should not fight or make a scene because you could end up dead.
I didn't scream or fight, either, when I was raped in my own bed at the age of 55. The reasons were logical and illogical, historic, complex, and also smart. He held a knife, and I assumed he was the serial rapist who had been breaking into women's houses in my Mexican town for eight months. I'd heard accounts of the four women he'd raped before me. The first two had fought and been beaten; the second two, having heard about the first two, didn't fight and so were not left with black eyes and bruised ribs.
Rape victims do not exactly remain silent during the rape. They're screaming inaudibly through the whole thing.
Some women may become silent for other reasons: fear that we won't be believed, shame of being seen as at best unlucky and at worst damaged, dread of the stigma that will attach itself, and knowledge of the human tendency to blame the victim to avoid empathizing with her, which would require imagining another's horror and humiliation as our own.
But there's another reason some women stay silent: Women have internalised the message that if it happened to them they must have at some deep, subconscious level caused, invited, even wanted it to happen.
Before the trial, the judge mandated that I talk to a court-appointed psychologist to assess whether I'd been damaged by the attack. The psychologist was embarrassed by his task and apologised for his "backward country". He told me that if the rapist was found guilty, the severity of his sentence would be determined by how much damage he'd caused. I told him I no longer wanted to sleep in, or even live in the house I'd built and loved; I told him I couldn't sleep through the night and often awoke screaming, convinced there was an evil presence in my room. Later, at the trial, the judge asked me why I didn't fight. I told her about my foreknowledge of what had happened to the other victims. I did not even think to say with high indignation, "He had a knife, [you moron]."
Old 17th August 2013, 02:23 PM
Nasty

Of course all men don’t hate women. But all men must know they benefit from sexism.

"These days, before we talk about misogyny, women are increasingly being asked to modify our language so we don’t hurt men’s feelings. Don’t say, “Men oppress women” – that’s sexism, as bad as any sexism women ever have to handle, possibly worse. Instead, say, “Some men oppress women.” Whatever you do, don’t generalise. That’s something men do. Not all men – just somemen.

This type of semantic squabbling is a very effective way of getting women to shut up. After all, most of us grew up learning that being a good girl was all about putting other people’s feelings ahead of our own. We aren’t supposed to say what we think if there’s a chance it might upset somebody else or, worse, make them angry. So we stifle our speech with apologies, caveats and soothing sounds. We reassure our friends and loved ones that “you’re not one of those men who hate women”.
Old 17th August 2013, 09:41 PM
Nasty

Our men throw acid in our faces, destroy our lives but we never stop loving men. (Warning: Violent images)

By Taslima Nasreen.

Yes. EDM. Just in case you are tempted, they are awful images. Some of the victims were as young as 5.

Men throw acid on us with the intention of injuring or disfiguring us. Men throw acid on our bodies, burn our faces, smash our noses, melt our eyes, and walk away as happy men.
Acid attack is common in Pakistan, Bangladesh, India, Afghanistan, Nepal, Cambodia, and a few other countries. Men throw acid on us because men are angry with us for ending relationships and for refusing sexual harassment, sexual exploitation, proposals of marriage, demands for dowry. They throw acid on us for attending schools, for not wearing Islamic veils, for not behaving well, for speaking too much, for laughing loudly.

Last edited by Annie; 17th August 2013 at 09:43 PM.
Old 17th August 2013, 11:53 PM
Nasty

Study finds 'severe' brutality against women in Papua New Guinea

"Women in poverty-stricken Papua New Guinea suffer "severe brutality" with violence, including savage attacks involving knives, axes and whips, occurring in two-thirds of all families, a new study said."

"MSF estimates that 70 per cent of women in PNG will be raped or physically assaulted in their lifetime".

Old 19th August 2013, 09:03 PM
Not a 'Westy'.
Super Moderator

I am in a anti-feminist FB group where racism reared it's head recently. This is the final post of the debacle.

Quote:
an African American said
Seeing as how you can't discuss race without people mischaracterizing you as "too emotional, exaggerating, not accepting of "their" acceptable evidence for a lack of racism, being bad as a feminist" etc etc etc....I'm out. As a black person one cannot simply discuss race with white people as the dynamics are tied to experiences they cannot have with the same level of impact of magnitude. Certain people run to other members and want to air their true feelings because they consider these discussions a waste of energy, or too emotional, or irrational.

But then again Atheists wonder why people of color are less visible in the movement. There's no point in lecturing because no matter what a person of color says it's always going to be some defensive posturing about how their evidence isn't good and the others is superior.

Atheist have a HUGE issue with race primarily because most its members ARE WHITE and do not have the same experiences nor are impacted by the laws & policies of a nation in the same manner. There is no welcoming of different views, because what you really want is affirmation of what you already feel is right. And it's easy to be dismissive when your white of racist claims but you mask it by calling it "skepticism".

Either way I'm done with this group because I find nothing but ignorant people on the subject race who really don't want dissenting voices to be heard and who buck the status of the members. Talking about race makes whites uncomfortable so the negroes must be wrong because they have black kids or friends, maybe even fucked one. Simply, white people are not affected by racism in the same way and will always not be able to understand why emotions run high over this subject.
Here is my creative editing of the post, changing race to gender.

Quote:
Seeing as how you can't discuss gender inequality without people mischaracterizing you as "too emotional, exaggerating, not accepting of "their" acceptable evidence for a lack of equality, being bad as a feminist" etc etc etc....I'm out. As a woman, one cannot simply discuss gender inequality with men as the dynamics are tied to experiences they cannot have with the same level of impact of magnitude. Certain people run to other members and want to air their true feelings because they consider these discussions a waste of energy, or too emotional, or irrational.

But then again Atheists wonder why women are less visible in the movement. There's no point in lecturing because no matter what women says it's always going to be some defensive posturing about how their evidence isn't good and the others is superior.

Atheist have a HUGE issue with gender inequality primarily because most its members ARE MEN and do not have the same experiences nor are impacted by the laws & policies of a nation in the same manner. There is no welcoming of different views, because what you really want is affirmation of what you already feel is right. And it's easy to be dismissive of gender inequality claims when you are male but you mask it by calling it "skepticism".

Either way I'm done with this group because I find nothing but ignorant people on the subject gennder inequality who really don't want dissenting voices to be heard and who buck the status of the members. Talking about gender inequality makes men uncomfortable so the women must be wrong because they have wives or daughters, maybe even fucked one. Simply, men are not affected by gender inequality in the same way and will always not be able to understand why emotions run high over this subject.
Perhaps someone might get something out of it here.

The Nizkor Project- Logical Fallacies

Atheist: n; A person to be pitied in that he is unable to believe things for which there is no evidence, and who has thus deprived himself of a convenient means of feeling superior to others.
—Chaz Bufe, The American Heretic’s Dictionary

Last edited by wolty; 19th August 2013 at 09:05 PM.