Go Back   AFA Forums > Secularism and Social Issues > Women's issues and equality

Women's issues and equality Safe zone for the discussion of women's rights and equality

Old 25th June 2017, 07:48 PM
This space for rent
Super Moderator

Default Re: All Things Sexist/ A Resource Thread

I suppose there can't be a rape culture if women can't actually say no.

'No doesn't really mean no': North Carolina law means women can't revoke consent for sex

Quote:
Recent rape cases highlight legal loophole resulting from 1979 state supreme court ruling, prompting a renewed campaign for change

One Monday in January, Aaliyah Palmer, 19, spent several hours telling law enforcement in Fayetteville, North Carolina, that she had been raped.

Things started out OK, she said, in a consensual encounter in a bathroom. But when the man having sex with her began tearing out her hair, she demanded he stop; he didn’t.

It was here a detective interrupted Palmer’s account with a question. At any time after she said no, did her attacker stop having sex with her, then penetrate her once again?

Yes, Palmer said.

“OK,” the detective replied, according to Palmer. “That’s important.”

It was important because in North Carolina, a person cannot withdraw consent for sex once intercourse is taking place. Because of a 1979 state supreme court ruling that has never been overturned, continuing to have sex with someone who consented then backed out isn’t considered to be rape.

“The whole thing is ridiculous,” Palmer told the Guardian. “It’s crazy.”

The North Carolina law is an example of how the US legal system has not always kept pace with evolving ideas about rape, sex and consent. Just last year, an Oklahoma court ruled that the state’s forcible sodomy statute did not criminalize oral sex with a victim who is completely unconscious. The toughest charge available to prosecutors was unwanted touching.
More at link.

The Nizkor Project- Logical Fallacies

Atheist: n; A person to be pitied in that he is unable to believe things for which there is no evidence, and who has thus deprived himself of a convenient means of feeling superior to others.
—Chaz Bufe, The American Heretic’s Dictionary
Thank The Irreverent Mr Black thanked this post
Old 26th June 2017, 05:31 PM
Resident of Fantasy Island

I just want to vent my anger and disgust here regarding many men's blatant ignorance, patronisation and arrogance coupled with their sexist preference that women 'should be inferior and subordinated like animals, sex toys' or something. In other words, these other kinds of sexism that not only apply to Muslim men but also within Christian and Hindu communities and as well atheistic ones.

My sexual orientation/sexual disinterest in women has nothing to do with my vindicative attitudes towards many such so sexist men but I feel like hurting and teaching them painful lessons. I feel like torturing these men to awaken to the reality and realisation that women are as intelligent, courageous and strong to the point that they do not deserve pettiest, patronising and superficially sexualising remarks such as how 'pretty' they are - instead, that women really deserve dignity and respect with remarks such as how courageous, rational and logically thinking they are in trying times. Such sexist men are inferior, coward and repugnant to me in that they are too feeble-minded, would be jealous and cry like babies should women arise, outshine and be equally tough, powerful and hold virtuous character on par - my perceptions of these men long cultivated since long ago have led me to develop strong vindicative attitudes towards them because I only like strong minded, tolerant and mature people who accept the diversity and understand one another with dignity and respect. The same applies not only to issues of sexism but also racism and stuff. Furthermore, I may sound hypocritical because I'm superficially and at the same time deeply attracted to men when it comes to sex and sexual relationships but it just annoys the hell out of me to see that men love to use women as sex toys and seek constant sexual gratification and care less about healthy relationships such as cooperation, participation in domestic duties/tasks conventionally taken up by women and don't really care about women's character that would otherwise be perceived as 'too manly' by sexist men.

I just have equal respect for women in social and intellectual senses and sometimes I can be wrong in that I tend to encourage young girls and women to toughen up, be strong and intelligent on par with men - I can also be wrong with the attitude and the state of mind where I get really annoyed when I see women and girls assume inferior or subordinate roles or not outshine enough in male-predominated endeavours and professions like aeronautical engineering, architecture and defence force. However, if you think that there's nothing wrong with these latter attitudes on my part then I am glad but correct my wrong thinking if at all or if I'm going extremist in a feminazist sense. I just can't stand when women are sidelined and discouraged from developing equal strengths and courage in manly endeavours alike as has been my beliefs long cultivated since I was like 14 years or so. If I sound like a feminazi, then perhaps you can counterargue and tell me to change my thinking.

Again, sorry to sound feminazist if at all but I will continue to detest cowardly sexist men as such.

Last edited by Azurisan21; 26th June 2017 at 06:27 PM.
Like knowledge is power, Mjt liked this post
Old 26th June 2017, 05:59 PM
Nasty

Azu, please do not use the term feminazist. It is not a word and feminazi is derogatory word that was created by an American radio commentator Rush Limbaugh because he was a misogynist. An outspoken and strong feminist does not want to kill people, they want gender equality. There is a huge difference. Please don't buy into the bullshit of the antifeminists. You are better than that.

Last edited by Annie; 26th June 2017 at 09:13 PM.
Like hackenslash, Mjt liked this post
Thank Azurisan21, The Irreverent Mr Black thanked this post
Old 26th June 2017, 06:51 PM

Well the torture sentiment fits the second half of the word.
Old 26th June 2017, 06:56 PM

Quote:
virphen said View Post
Well the torture sentiment fits the second half of the word.
Actually, I'd rather educate than torture but my inappropriate tone and misuse of the word are because I'm impatiently taking not only vengeance of some kind but as well expressing my disgust. Now thanks to Annie's correction, I have come to realise that this word is pejorative aimed at feminists. Therefore, I reconfess that I'm never a feminazi but some extremist feminist male.

Last edited by Azurisan21; 26th June 2017 at 06:59 PM.
Like The Irreverent Mr Black, Annie, Mjt liked this post
Old 26th June 2017, 07:06 PM
It's good to know when it's time

Try simple words, Azu.

Hagelslag ready and counting down.

Like Annie liked this post
Thank Annie thanked this post
Old 26th June 2017, 07:15 PM

Quote:
The Irreverent Mr Black said View Post
Try simple words, Azu.
Ok. Sorry to be verbose so far if at all.
Old 26th June 2017, 07:28 PM
It's good to know when it's time

Quote:
Azurisan21 said View Post
Quote:
The Irreverent Mr Black said View Post
Try simple words, Azu.
Ok. Sorry to be verbose so far if at all.
It's not that you're being wrong or offending me, Azu, but I would like to see you clearly understood.

Hagelslag ready and counting down.

Like Mjt, Annie liked this post
Thank Mjt, Fearless, Annie thanked this post
Old 3rd July 2017, 07:47 PM
Minister for Religious Genocide
Super Moderator

Location: Melbourne: a small village on Mars just outside the capital city, Wibble

Laugh at Darwinsbulldog laughed at this post
Old 4th July 2017, 08:53 PM
Minister for Religious Genocide
Super Moderator

Location: Melbourne: a small village on Mars just outside the capital city, Wibble

Okay, this was too funny not to share.

On a more serious note, The Handmaid's Tale starts on SBS on Demand this Thursday 6 July 2017. Have wine handy and keep heavy throwable things away from your telly.