Go Back   AFA Forums > Secularism and Social Issues > Women's issues and equality

Women's issues and equality Safe zone for the discussion of women's rights and equality

Old 25th May 2017, 07:47 PM
"Mr Charles Darwin had the gall to ask"

Default Re: All Things Sexist/ A Resource Thread

Gillian Triggs warns of increasing sexist attacks against women in public life
The outgoing Australian Human Rights Commission president says there is clear evidence of this ‘serious regression’

Quote:
Women in Australian public life face mounting attacks which constitute a “serious regression” of human rights, the outgoing Australian Human Rights Commission president, Gillian Triggs, has warned.

In her final Senate estimates before she concludes her five-year term in July, Triggs offered an extended meditation on the role of women in public life, concluding there was “clear evidence” of mounting sexist attacks.

Triggs defended her record but expressed concern about the impact of the QUT and Bill Leak section 18C racially discriminatory speech cases.

The Labor leader in the Senate, Penny Wong, and the Greens senator Nick McKim offered heartfelt tributes to Triggs’s contribution to public life, praising her dignity and courage in office.

While president of the commission Triggs faced fierce criticism from Coalition politicians over the accuracy of her evidence to committees, and was famously asked by the attorney general to resign her independent statutory office over a critical report about refugees in detention.

Thank The Irreverent Mr Black, workmx thanked this post
Old 17th June 2017, 10:21 PM
Minister for Religious Genocide
Super Moderator

Location: Melbourne: a small village on Mars just outside the capital city, Wibble

An interesting read from today's Guardian. Domestic violence comes in all unfortunate shades, not just physical.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...her-and-sister

Quote:
One family friend asked if Claire had been having an affair that might have “triggered” the attack, a theme that echoed some media reports. Others asked if it was because of money, because Lance resented his children, or why Claire had stayed for so long. After the initial shock, the brothers say they have grown weary of the victim-blaming that came from both the press and people they knew. “The reality is, you can’t stay and you can’t leave,” Luke says. “You have no options. And it shouldn’t be that the burden is on the victim to run away to survive.”
Thank The Irreverent Mr Black, borealis thanked this post
Old 17th June 2017, 10:40 PM
This space for rent
Super Moderator

Yep, it was quite a read.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

The Nizkor Project- Logical Fallacies

Atheist: n; A person to be pitied in that he is unable to believe things for which there is no evidence, and who has thus deprived himself of a convenient means of feeling superior to others.
—Chaz Bufe, The American Heretic’s Dictionary
Old 19th June 2017, 07:10 PM

A game FB is advertising to me. Which I think must be an officially plugged-in-to-fb game although I am not 100% sure of that.

Thank The Irreverent Mr Black, wolty thanked this post
Old 20th June 2017, 09:09 AM
Feminazi and semi-professional inconoclast

Quote:
Lord Blackadder said View Post
An interesting read from today's Guardian. Domestic violence comes in all unfortunate shades, not just physical.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...her-and-sister

Quote:
One family friend asked if Claire had been having an affair that might have “triggered” the attack, a theme that echoed some media reports. Others asked if it was because of money, because Lance resented his children, or why Claire had stayed for so long. After the initial shock, the brothers say they have grown weary of the victim-blaming that came from both the press and people they knew. “The reality is, you can’t stay and you can’t leave,” Luke says. “You have no options. And it shouldn’t be that the burden is on the victim to run away to survive.”
Thanks for posting this.

Many reminders of my ex in Lance's behaviour (rationing money, attempts to "be nice" that last only days, victim blaming, restricting access to other people, accusations of affairs and mental illness, etc...).

Only my ex is a woman, so it is even harder to convince people that she is an abuser.

EDIT: But and it is a big but, I am not in physical danger from my ex.

Last edited by workmx; 20th June 2017 at 09:14 AM.
Like The Irreverent Mr Black liked this post
Thank wolty thanked this post
Old 22nd June 2017, 07:20 AM
AFA Member

A good intro to what looks like an important book on the abortion and the shaming of women because of it
http://www.hup.harvard.edu/catalog.p...ontent=reviews
Old 25th June 2017, 12:41 PM
Nasty

Saying women just don't pick high paying jobs is bullshit.

Linky here.
Old 25th June 2017, 04:55 PM
Ehh?

I don't agree either that women don't go for high pay jobs (Edit: Sorry, double negative... umm I mean they do). Especially at my company. A leading powertool company (typically male dominated) and a good number of women are in high profile positions.

I have been reading a fair bit on both sides of the argument and it does leave me with some mixed feelings. I find it hard to sit on one side or the other implicitly as I feel there are some valid points from both sides (IMO) contributing to the overall picture.

For now I would like to cover an all too familiar issue facing couples having children and how we were impacted personally.

It was frustrating when my wife had our second child, she had been working at the same company for 14 years, well established role, highly qualified, successful, earning more than I was etc. in all those years the company hadn't had anyone on maternity leave (which might tell you something in itself). They ended up downgrading her role and giving her work from home managing some admin and social media work etc. she accepted it on the general agreement that after a few years she could resume her previous role (pity that wasn't on paper). When it came time when she wanted to return to a more full time role, those who had promised to look after her scurried away into the shadows and basically the company just strung her out for almost another year. One day they arranged for a catch up coffee and 'chat', but instead handed her a redundancy notice, but because they had strung her along for so long they were able to reduce the severance package by thousands. It nearly broke her and I was furious. I talked her in to going to FWA and I took the time off to support her. Of course they refused to attend in person, but agreed only by video link. She and I sat alone in the court session room while they had a big office desk with their big managers and lawyers etc as if they needed to intimidate us. Fortunately the (female) presiding judge could see through the BS and told them to back off the formalities. She gave them a hard time through the hearing. Half way through she called for a break for my wife to compose herself (she was emotionally upset). While we were in a back room, the judge came in and told us she isn't normally meant to talk to either party to offer advice, but she said she had seen this several times and knew they would not be giving her job back, but they would have come with a financial settlement amount, advising us to try to get enough money to see things through until my wife could find another job. So we took her advice and she was correct. Unfortunately my wife struggled to find a job for the next few years, the money wasn't nearly enough to help keep us going with my wage and we struggled quite a bit. Two jobs she landed she later was laid off again. Not because she was not good at her work (she is brilliant in that respect) but the industry was going through some hard times (horticulture) and having two young children that needed at least one day (average) of care during a working week, no one was committed to offering her a stable role to accommodate.

I do think having a child is a life choice where obviously the wife will have to take some time out of work late term and during the early months etc. but I really do think government should be doing more to "encourage" business to employ returning parents to the workforce. I do believe that many mothers in particular give up much of their momentum, experience and training for the sake of having children. I also believe many are less inclined to go back to the same role or higher for various reasons. Not just because companies see/treat them of more of a risk or 'burden' of sorts.

I do think too much pressure and expectation is put on mothers in particular to return to the workforce, especially in a high capacity and experienced role. I believe it is pretty daunting at the best of times and I have seen a number of mothers depressed and stressed about it. There is certainly nothing wrong with being a full time Mum (or Dad) if you can afford to do it. When I was young, my mother could afford to be off work and then do part-time even though interest rates were higher, the cost of living and inflation was not so taxing on the family unit as a whole as it is now. These days, unless one earner is near to 6 figure wage at least, you are probably going to struggle a bit.

It might not be a popular view, but I also believe women sometimes do choose lesser roles as they can be more flexible to the needs of care of their children. Less expectation of overtime and pressure of career development expectations and less of a career commitment overall. This is a generalisation for a specific group of people, but I have it on personal experience that aside from my wife now I don't know any other mother in our contact circles who has returned to full time/high pay jobs. It must affect stats somewhere down the line.

Last edited by Fearless; 25th June 2017 at 04:56 PM.
Old 25th June 2017, 05:01 PM
Minister for Religious Genocide
Super Moderator

Location: Melbourne: a small village on Mars just outside the capital city, Wibble

Quote:
There is certainly nothing wrong with being a full time Mum (or Dad) if you can afford to do it.
Here is an important point. 20 years ago, it was possible for one parent to go part-time/casual or cease work completely to take on the full-time care of their children and still maintain a comfortable existence on one income.

Today, not so much.
Old 25th June 2017, 05:26 PM
Ehh?

I was trying to find a video I watched a few days back on FB (positive news piece), but now I have found it on YouTube, the poster seems to be viewing it as a negative, whereas I only really see it as a positive.

If the poster has some sort of point (not sure at this minute), if a female wants to pursue a career, especially over children/family etc. then so be it. Again, harder for a woman to resume the same role potentially, but there hopefully is a choice (or choices) there to be had. I'd like to think the Police had better supports in general for returning mothers to the workforce.