Go Back   AFA Forums > Secularism and Social Issues > Women's issues and equality

Women's issues and equality Safe zone for the discussion of women's rights and equality

Old 19th November 2014, 08:43 PM
Wonder if the beer tastes as good?
Super Moderator

Default Re: All Things Sexist/ A Resource Thread

I have no words for this one.

Indonesia's female police recruits subjected to virginity tests
Quote:
Young female police recruits in Indonesia start their careers with what's called the "two-finger test" to assess if they are virgins.
Indonesia's new women officers are required to be single and virginal, but the digital penetration test the police medical officers use as part of their physical examination leaves them feeling traumatised and humiliated, according to interviews conducted recently by Human Rights Watch.
In 2010, the then-head of police personnel, Brigadier General Sigit Sudarmanto, announced that the invasive testing procedure would stop. But still the National Police job recruitment website confirms that: "In addition to the medical and physical tests, women who want to be policewomen must also undergo virginity tests".
Eight female police applicants in six Indonesian cities who endured the "two finger" test as late as this year have told researchers from the human rights body of the pain and humiliation involved.
"[They told us] we could resign from the selection process if we did not want to go through with it, but most of us had gone through so much preparation already, and I felt I had no power to object.
The test is a discredited procedure that purports to assess whether a woman's hymen is intact.
A director of women's rights group Nurani Perempuan, Yefri Heriyani, is quoted in the report saying the test had left many police women traumatised.
A former police psychologist, Sri Rumiati, said she had objected to the testing in 2010, but her colleagues had replied: "Do we want to have prostitutes joining the police?"
A police spokesman told Fairfax Media that both new male and female recruits were required to be unmarried because they had to "change their character from civilian to semi-military mindset". They can marry after two years in the force.
But it is only women's virginity that is tested.
Old 22nd November 2014, 08:31 PM
Super Moderator

Some may be familiar with the Ched Evans rape case in the UK. It's been the subject of much public comment there.

Well, here are the victim-blaming public comments of one BBC radio host - BBC radio DJ Nick Conrad sparks outrage after telling women to 'keep their knickers on' during debate about convicted rapist Ched Evans
Quote:
A BBC radio presenter has been criticised for “demeaning” remarks he made about women while discussing the case of convicted rapist Ched Evans.
Nick Conrad, a BBC Radio Norfolk DJ, said during a live debate “if you yank a dog’s tail then don’t be surprised when it bites you”.
He made the comments about former Wales and Sheffield United striker Evans, who has returned to training with the club after serving half of a five-year sentence for rape.
Evans has continued to insist he is innocent, and says sex with his victim was consensual.
Mr Conrad said: “I think women need to be more aware of a man’s sexual desire that when you’re in that position that you are about to engage in sexual activity there’s a huge amount of energy in the male body, there’s a huge amount of will and intent, and it’s very difficult for many men to say no when they are whipped up into a bit of a storm.
“And it’s the old adage about if you yank a dog’s tale then don’t be surprised when it bites you.
He also suggested feminists had “hijacked” or “jumped on” the debate sparked by Evans’ case, and said they appear to be “anti-men”.
He concluded: “What I’m trying to say is that women also have to understand that when a man’s given certain signals he’ll wish to act upon them and if you don’t wish to give out the wrong signals it’s best probably to keep your knickers on and not get into bed with him. Does that make sense?”
Predictable outrage followed, and this is as good a takedown as any - Nick Conrad is wrong about Ched Evans: rape is about violence, not passion:
Quote:
In some ways, we have a lot to thank Ched Evans for. Sure, he is a convicted rapist who should never be allowed near a professional football team again – but his abhorrent actions and subsequent utter lack of remorse have given some particularly charming men an excuse to come crawling out of the woodwork and broadcast their repugnant views. Hello, rape apologists, and thanks for identifying yourselves!
The latest to out themselves as a member of Team Evans is Nick Conrad, a talk show host on BBC Radio Norfolk. Today, during a live debate about the Sheffield striker he said that women should "keep their knickers on" to avoid giving men "the wrong signals".
Going over this again and again is, frankly, utterly exhausting. Just when you start to think that maybe – just maybe - we’re making progress, another tired rape myth pops up on prime-time radio to remind you that we still live in a victim-blaming society. To be clear: there is nothing a person can do to cause themselves to be raped. Questioning the behaviour of the victim seeks to absolve the attacker of blame, but there aren’t varying shades of grey here. A rapist is a rapist, whether he attacks in an alleyway, a living room or a swanky hotel room. A rapist is still a rapist if he has had sex with his victim before. Going home with someone is not consent. Being drunk is not consent. Your wardrobe choices are not consent. No woman or man is to blame for the violence committed against them; there is no right or wrong way to be raped.
But the thing which irks me most about Conrad’s particular brand of stupidity is that he seems to actually believe that the majority of men have the potential to be rapists. That anyone with a penis, when they are "whipped up", will suddenly become unable to control themselves and will attack someone.
Men – you should be appalled. You aren’t all mindless predators, waiting to pounce. You don’t need to be managed, controlled or tamed. You aren’t idiots, acting only on base animal impulse, unable to understand the difference between enthusiastic mutual consent and drunken torpor. Knickers on or knickers off, you are better than this. This idea also sends a damaging message about what rape is: it not a crime of passion or misread signals, and it's not about sex. Rape is about control, violence and power.
Conrad claims that “feminists” have “hijacked” the Ched Evans debate, and are “anti-men”. The thing is, Conrad, it’s not these “feminists” who are comparing men to “snakes” and “dogs”. That’s you. Happy International Men’s day, everyone.
Old 25th November 2014, 01:40 AM
Super Moderator

So according to the MRAs, men an women are equal in the workplace, are they?

*cough* bullshit *cough*

Women under-represented in management positions, paid 24 per cent less than men according to Workplace Gender Equality Agency report
Quote:
A new study has found that women make up just a quarter of those employed in the key management positions of Australian companies.
As well as an under-representation of women in management positions, the findings revealed the average full-time earnings of men were almost 25 per cent more.
One-third of Australia's workforce was included in the data, with more than 11,000 employers reporting to the Workplace Gender Equality Agency (WGEA) on more than 4 million employees.
A glass ceiling was evident at the first layer of management where women comprised 39.8 per cent of employees, but the number fell to 31.7 per cent at the next level of management – senior managers.
From the senior management level, female representation steadily declined with women comprising 27.8 per cent of executive and general manager roles in Australia, and 26.1 per cent of key management personnel (KMP) positions.
At the top management level, chief executive, women held 17.3 per cent of positions.
One-third (33.5 per cent) of employers had no KMPs who were women, and 31.3 per cent of organisations had no other executives or general managers who were women.
"There are significant cultural and structural barriers in workplaces that stop women from moving up," Ms Conway said.
"One of the main cultural barriers is gender bias."
More to read at the link.
Old 26th November 2014, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator

Turkey is meant to be a secular democracy of sorts... which make these idiotic public comments by the president all the worse :

It’s impossible to laugh off the appalling sexism of the Turkish president
Quote:
On Monday, Turkey’s president, Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, made headlines by announcing at a summit on women and justice in Istanbul that women are not equal to men “because it goes against the laws of nature”.
...Erdoğan is neither a lone madman in a padded cell, nor a Victorian uncle caught in a time warp. He’s the president of a country of 75 million people where only 28% of women are in legal employment, an estimated 40% of women suffer domestic violence at least once in their lives, and where millions of girls are forced into under-age marriage every year (incidentally, Erdoğan’s predecessor, Abdullah Gül, married his wife when she was 15). Exact figures on domestic abuse and rape are hard to come by because it is socially frowned upon to complain about husbands, and police often tell women and girls who have been threatened with murder by their partners to go home and “talk it over”.
During his speech this week, Erdoğan implied such widespread abuse is the work of the unhinged: “How could a believer – I’m not talking about perverts – how could someone who understands our religion commit violence against a woman? How could he kill her?”
How indeed? According to Erdoğan, Islam is a girl’s best friend. “Our religion has given women the calling of motherhood … feminists cannot understand that.” Warming to his subject, Erdoğan described how believers, including himself, “kiss their mothers’ feet” because they “smell of heaven”. This weird fetishising of mothers had as much place in reality as his reasons why women cannot work as men do: “Their delicate frames are not suited to it.”
Does it really make a difference whether Erdoğan believes what he says or not, when the effect is to encourage a divide between believer and non-believer, man and woman, mother and non-mother? When he appeals to the conservative instincts of a country grappling with entrenched patriarchy and inequality, and assures his listeners that “equality in justice” is what matters most, not real equality – how does that help Turkish women, men, and their children?
And how can we laugh this one off?
Old 26th November 2014, 03:38 PM

Quote:
slim said View Post
This thread has been a fantastic resource for me; it's helped me critically examine my stance on several issues and subsequently realise that I've had a sexist stance on many issues, all too frequently in the past... and still lapse occasionally.

It's almost as if I went through the five stages of grief on this:

- Denial (Wait, what, this is a sexist view? I was being sexist? No way, some of my best friends are female.)
- Anger ('farking raving feminists, it is all their fault.)
- Bargaining (But if I phrase it this way, it won't seem/sound sexist.)
- Depression/Guild (Damnit, what have I been thinking? I've been foolish for a very long time.)
- Acceptance and Hope (Perhaps more people ought to read and absorb this.)

In any case, this thread made an impact on me and I hope it does the same for others... Many thanks to Annie and all the other contributors here.
All - just want to further reiterate what Slim stated last year. I read everything within this Forum and use the material to examine my position and, dare I say it - prejudices (which I never thought as such but realise that that's what they are). Through this it is helping me to adjust my views and change for the better!

So thanks to everyone who posts for their effort and remember that it is helping!
Old 2nd December 2014, 03:28 PM
Feminazi and semi-professional inconoclast

Nine-year-old suspected child bride leaves Australia to be married, Immigrant Women's Health Service says

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-12-0...arried/5932622

Quote:
nine-year-old Sydney girl has allegedly left the country to be married overseas, just one of a dozen cases since June, a women's health service says.

The Immigrant Women's Health Service in western Sydney said it received a tip-off on Monday about a case involving a nine-year-old child bride.
The service spoke to the girl's mother but said it could not get specific information. It is suspected the girl will be married in the Middle East.
The ABC could not confirm the claims.

Federal Justice Minister Michael Keenan said the Government had launched a new arranged marriage safety plan to encourage young women to speak up if they were being forced to marry.

"We're very keen to ... make sure that if somebody is to come across this type of crime that they know how to go about helping that person to report it to authorities so we can do something about it," he said.

"We're making sure that we have materials out there to educate the community about what to look for and so these crimes can be reported and then the appropriate authorities can go and prosecute them."

But Dr Eman Sharobeem, director of the Immigrant Women's Health Service, said the strategy would not work because girls were too scared to implicate their families.

"Forced marriage and child brides happen among the culturally and linguistically diverse communities, those communities will not go to the website and will not share glossy papers to see what's written about legislation in the country," she said.
Old 2nd December 2014, 10:11 PM
Nasty

Quentin Bryce says it is up to men to confront domestic violence.

In an interview with Guardian Australia, Bryce said violence against women was “the most serious human rights issue in the world” and that cultural change in men was “the heart of the issue”.

“It’s been seen as a women’s issue because it’s been women who have set up the refuges, provided the services, supported women and their children,” she said.

“But across 40 years of that hard work and commitment and professional skill, we have seen no amelioration of domestic violence.

Last edited by Annie; 2nd December 2014 at 10:12 PM.
Old 6th December 2014, 09:15 PM
Nasty

A Taxonomy of Mansplainers.

The “just asking questions”
The guy who asks stupid questions with deliberately coded or sexist language. He asks why you’re so angry. He asks whether you really think that wage equality is beneficial to women. He asks whether you think you are doing feminism as good as he is. But he gets really upset when you pop his bubble, and he defends his position by saying, “Hey, I’m just asking questions.”
Old 8th December 2014, 12:46 PM
Feminazi and semi-professional inconoclast

Game Reviewer Alanah Pearce Is Contacting The Mothers Of Boys Who Sent Her Rape Threats

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/1...ml?cps=gravity

Quote:
One way to deal with rape threats? Contacting the trolls' mothers.
Alanah Pearce, a 21-year-old student and video game reviewer from Brisbane, Australia, decided to send Facebook messages to the mothers of four young boys who had threatened her online. When one woman responded, Pearce shared the exchange with her 29,000 Twitter followers.

According to Pearce, the mother who responded to her has made good on her word to speak with her son.

"She has gotten him to handwrite me a letter and she's also spoken to other parents in the community," Pearce told The BBC. "She is going to the school to talk about online harassment and bullying and trying to make other parents more aware of what their kids are saying online."

Pearce's approach of contacting the harassers' mothers comes from the fact that many of the boys who threaten her are only 10-15 years old.
“A while ago, I realized that a lot of the people who send disgusting or overly sexual comments to me over the internet aren’t adult males,”

Pearce told The Guardian. “It turns out that mostly they’re young boys and the problem is they don’t know any better, so responding to them rationally didn’t resolve the situation. And it got to the point where their comments were starting to make me feel really uncomfortable.”

Unfortunately, Pearce's experience of receiving online rape threats is far from unique. An October 2014 report from the Pew Research Center suggests that one in four women between the ages of 18 and 24 will be stalked or sexually harassed online. While users on social media sites like Twitter and Facebook are able to report abusive comments, but the sites' policies on what constitutes violent content are questionable at best.
Pearce's actions are admirable for bringing more attention to the issue of online harassment -- and hopefully the boys who've threatened her will change the way they treat women on the internet, stat.
Old 8th December 2014, 06:34 PM
Nasty

My friend Charles Clymer takes a light hearted look at a serious topic 5 Things More Likely To Happen To You Than Being Falsely Accused Of Rape. If you are an American, that is.

1 in 4 women will be raped or sexually-assaulted in her lifetime, but instead of working on solutions to this problem that effects everyone, some folks like to derail the conversation by claiming false rape accusations are widespread. And because it’s such a sensational thought, women are often accused of lying when they come forward about their rape or sexual assault. But using statistics from the FBI and Department of Justice, it’s estimated that on an annual basis, the odds of the average straight man (the target group overwhelmingly concerned with this) in the U.S. being accused of rape are 2.7 million to 1. To put that in perspective, here are five things more likely to happen to you than being falsely accused of rape.

1. 5x as Likely to Win $10,000 in the Powerball Lottery (1 in 648,975.96)
2. 750x Times More Likely to Die From Alcohol Poisoning (1 in 3,598.05)
3. 11x More Likely to Be Killed by Asteroid or Comet (1 in 250,000)
4. 631x More Likely to Become an NFL Player (1 in 4,278.06)
5. Men 82,000x More Likely to Be Raped (1 in 33)

We end on a serious note. Because 1 in 33 men will be raped in his lifetime, men are 82,000x more likely to be raped than falsely accused of rape. It seems many of us would do well to pay more attention to how rape culture affects us all than be paranoid about false accusers.

Last edited by Annie; 8th December 2014 at 06:37 PM.