Go Back   AFA Forums > Secularism and Social Issues > Women's issues and equality

Women's issues and equality Safe zone for the discussion of women's rights and equality

Old 30th June 2016, 12:06 AM
Wonder if the beer tastes as good?
Super Moderator

Default Re: All Things Sexist/ A Resource Thread

Dear Liberal candidates: Using my husband's name for me is also an insult
Quote:
Dear local Liberal Party member,
Before I even opened the envelope it was made abundantly clear to me how little my vote, and more importantly, my identity means to you. This is a shame because I was going to open that letter and read it. To be honest I don't feel loyal to either side particularly anymore, so I'm trying to read as much as I can with as broad a mind as I can muster.
The letter you sent was addressed to my husband and me, his prefix as "Mr", mine as "Ms", each with our first name initials, but then each of us given his last name. Strange that you'd assume I'd want my relationship status masked with a "Ms", but ok, right on, sisterhood! For the record, given my PhD a few years ago it should actually be "Dr", but that's ok - as you were.
The problem is that you've undone all that good gender respect work with the next bit. And you seem to have done it for male and female households that aren't in relationships at all. There is some way to understanding how you got to mine - my male house companion and I are married, and a few decades ago the name would have been a no-brainer. But to assume that any woman living with a man in 2016 would need to have his name is just a bit silly. Are you aiming for the lucrative market of brother and sister combination voters, perhaps?
If I decide to take his name then that's my choice, not yours. The surname I use everyday is the name I was given by my parents when I was born. It is the surname that my family will use to sign me off when the time comes for me to leave this big silly rock. It is the name that's on my marriage certificate too. And it's the name I'm keeping.
Old 30th June 2016, 09:16 PM
Extant

Quote:
Strange that you'd assume I'd want my relationship status masked with a "Ms"
My spouse and I agreed with the rest but found this bit just plain weird. To put it slightly perversely, what is special about women that they should have a distinguisher not existing for men? Should we add another way of classifying men instead? To what supposed end and with what practical effect?
Old 30th June 2016, 11:52 PM

Ms and Mr are equivalent. Miss and Mrs are explicitly associated with marriage status. It's Miss and Mrs that need to go.
Old 1st July 2016, 03:03 PM
Extant

Prezackercizely
Old 1st July 2016, 03:06 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
Xeno said View Post
Prezackercizely
Coooooooooooool new word. Xeno winz da internet!
Old 1st July 2016, 05:18 PM
About goddamn time.

I think about this constantly when it comes to tv shows and movies. Plenty of normal looking men on tv but pretty much only uber attractive women(I call them cloned Barbies).
I find UK shows are not so shallow (mostly). I see women that are love interests in these shows but in the US would not be 'attractive' enough for their tv shows.

The bible says, "A simple man believes every word he hears, a clever man understands the need for proof." Proverbs 14:15 LOL.
Like Beatrice liked this post
Old 2nd July 2016, 09:41 AM

As a North American, yeah, television and film from the UK features plain women in a way North American entertainment doesn't. Even women who play characters who are supposed to be viewed as plain or dumpy looking are played by conventionally beautiful women in North American television and film. It's a rare exception when a women who is plain is successful in entertainment here.
Old 8th July 2016, 03:31 PM
Resident of Fantasy Island

Sorry to derail but I'd like to vent some anger here. I hope not to attract a backlash despite being gay that has nothing to do with women in the romantic future. I am only angry with many theists in particular.

It is that I have observed the behaviour of people according to where they come from.

Many men like to keep their wives as inferior and second-class. I cannot believe this, to be honest. It is as many whites like to keep blacks likewise.

How can men enjoy relations with wives that are denied the same rights, autonomy and power? To be absolutely honest, it always pleases me when blacks aspire to greatness as much as whites, and women as much as men.

As such, men are missing out the opportunity to have timeless relations whereby their spouses are their equals and capable of fulfilling their interests on par.

Men need to think again. If you want sex with women, you should learn to find pleasure lying in them being your equal physically and intellectually. If you continue to liken them to animals, it doesn't make sense why you avoid jerking off with animals.

We must fight to stop all such nonsense that includes sexism, sex slavery as prevalent in Islam and rape as well as racism.

Last edited by Azurisan21; 8th July 2016 at 03:33 PM.
Like Mjt, knowledge is power liked this post
Old 10th July 2016, 06:04 PM
Wonder if the beer tastes as good?
Super Moderator

Disorder in the court: We need to address inequality in the legal world
Quote:
Despite the vast majority of lawyers joining the profession today being female, there is still an enormous pay gap and lack of women at senior levels. New targets for the briefing of women will help address this inequality, writes Fiona McLeod.
For the first time the Law Council of Australia, the legal profession's national peak body representing about 65,000 lawyers, has introduced a policy that includes targets for the briefing of women barristers.
For some this move may come as a surprise. Is such a policy really necessary in 2016?
After all, it's not as if young women are discouraged from seeking careers in the law at the moment: 63 per cent of lawyers admitted to the profession today are women.
The fact is that despite women dominating the numbers at law schools for a generation, the lopsidedness at the top end remains. Nationally women still make up only 10 per cent of senior counsel, despite years of effort to address the imbalance through soft policy approaches.
It is critical that the Bar reflects the diversity of talent at law schools and the broader community at the senior level - in fact, many clients and judges are already demanding it. However, as former Sex Discrimination Commissioner Elizabeth Broderick has noted: "You can't be what you can't see."
Currently women make up 30 per cent of practicing barristers in Australia. Although current data regarding a gender breakdown of all briefing is not available, the last comprehensive survey of court appearances in 2009 confirmed the anecdotal reports of judges that women continue to appear at a significantly lower rate than 30 per cent in our courts. Senior judges have noted and lamented the low appearance rates for many years.
The aspect of fees is particularly worthy of note.
According to an analysis of occupational gender pay gaps conducted recently, barristers' income reflects the worst gender pay gap in Australia. Even after adjusting for average hours worked, a pay gap of a staggering 141 per cent between men and women barristers remains.
Old 12th July 2016, 06:54 AM
"Mr Charles Darwin had the gall to ask"

Q&A recap: Steve Price's 'hysterical' insult prompts a mic drop from Van Badham

Quote:
Broadcaster Steve Price, bless him, has built a career on righteous belligerence.

Like the men he made a point of calling his friends during tonight's Q&A – Andrew Bolt, Eddie McGuire, Sam Newman – he's become so used to people criticising him that he pre-emptively expects it, to the point of hearing it when it doesn't even exist.

Most of the time, as on The Project, he keeps his simmering rage in hand, but tonight his lightning-quick anger came to the fore at the very first question, where Price angrily insisted that the questioner retract the suggestion that Price had called for Malcolm Turnbull to resign – a claim which the audience member hadn't actually made – while simultaneously accusing the questioner of not listening properly.

But these were the support acts to the proper headliners, and their greatest performance came at the end of the show when audience member Tarang Chawla asked a genuinely heartbreaking and important question.

"Sam Newman has courted controversy yet again for defending Eddie McGuire who joked about drowning Caroline Wilson," he began.

"Male violence is a leading cause of death and disability for women under 45 in Australia. My sister Nikita was stabbed to death by her partner in January last year, with a meat cleaver. She was 23. How will politicians and the media play a better role in bringing about long-overdue cultural shifts, so tragedies like what happened to my family are not normalised?"

Price was first to answer. "I happen to know all the people you mentioned there, Sam, Eddie and Caroline Wilson, very well," he explained, before criticising people for overreacting to "a bunch of blokes laughing about something they shouldn't have laughed about," especially since they (sort of) apologised. "Far too much was then made of it… As for Sam's comments, who happens to be a very good friend of mine, I think he should regret those comments that he made when going back into defend his great friend Eddie."

In other words: Chawla asked about what can be done to combat flippant attitudes toward violence against women, and Price responded by defending the mates who made a joke about drowning a colleague, about which far too much was apparently made.

Badham, however, did not identify Sam and his great mate Eddie as the real victims in this example.

With a genuine catch in her voice, she started by expressing sympathy for Chawla and his family, "and it's one of the reasons why we have to take this seriously, and why we have to look at the different treatment of women, and the disadvantaged treatment of women in our society."

And when she suggested that Price might have a rather different perspective on the hilarity of the joke from his position as one of the blokes compared with her, as one of the potential victims, Price took mighty umbrage.

"Just because you're a woman doesn't mean your the only person who can get upset about this," he interrupted, speaking over her to audible "oooooh!" from the audience. "Men can be just as upset about these things."

"Steve, you're proving my point very excellently, about the attitudes that create this kind of problem," she blasted back, to thunderous applause. "I don't think I'm proving anything," Price sulkily responded. "I think you're just being hysterical."

Badham paused, as the audience processed that they'd just watched a grown man dismiss a woman as being "hysterical" literally while she was explaining how dismissive attitudes to women feed into a culture of gender-violence, Badham delivered the coup de grace.

"It's probably my ovaries making me do it, Steve."

Quote. Of. The. Year.

Like two dogs, knowledge is power liked this post