Go Back   AFA Forums > Atheism > Global Atheist Convention Forum

Global Atheist Convention Forum All discussions regarding the AFA's Global Atheist Conventions

Closed Thread

Old 7th July 2011, 07:39 AM
Here come the drums, here come the drums!

Default GAC2012 Accommodation Thread

This thread is for discussions, hints, tips, etc. about accommodation in Melbourne for the GAC2012.

We would ask that you don't hijack the thread or steer it off the rails if you can possibly help it as it will provide a useful resource for people and it would be great if we could keep it for the intended topic.

Thanks everyone

For starters, here are some useful links:

http://melbournehotelmap.com/convention-center.html

http://www.budgetstay.com.au/

http://www.wotif.com/hotels/cheap-ac...melbourne.html (not sure this will be much use so far in advance but maybe worth a look anyway)

http://www.hotel.com.au/my/Hotels-Ne...bition-Centre/
Old 7th July 2011, 11:42 AM
AFA Member

Default Re: GAC2012 Accommodation Discussion

• Best Western Atlantis Hotel at 300 Spencer St. Was okay - for $100 it got me a room with no view, basic empty bar fridge, little couch and desk with a chair. For a place to crash, it was good, and a walk down the road from the venue (with the addition that it was nearly exactly on top of the Southern Cross trainstation and the place to get the SkyBus to the airport - hop, zoom, home). Didn't see a place for food and nothing in terms of a menu, so I suspect you'd have to go out and forage if you were so inclined. Basic foraging is easy with one of those 24hr deli things across the road and I got chocolate to get me through the night.
  • Quality Hotel Batman's Hill on Collins at 623 Collins St. TINY little room, pretty much a triangle on the edge of the building. Had a stand-in bath/shower though. Little desk, wouldn't be able to squeeze in anyone besides myself (whereas one could probably sneak in another person to snooze on the couch at the Atlantis one). Super Bedsaver Deal 2 nights minimum stay, for $90 a day was what I got. No bar fridge, nothing else besides desk, bed, bathroom, which was fine for essentially just a place to crash near the venue. Buffet breakfast was nice though, on the mezzanine level.
  • Hilton South Wharf. Right on top of the venue. Lovely. Great way to walk out the front door and be IN the convention centre. It is a Hilton, and therefore you're getting Hilton rates, et al.
  • Futher afield (but on the tram lines) - I try to stay at www.drummondapartments.com.au when in Melbourne and it's a lovely area. But would be more for those who don't mind the trek.
Old 7th July 2011, 01:42 PM
AFA Member

The Melbourne Metro or Melbourne Central YHA's are great for folks on a budget. A private room with on-suite is far cheaper than most hotels and there is a better service and atmosphere. DB and partner are staying at the Metro -unit One of course!
Old 7th July 2011, 03:10 PM
There was cheese

It may seem like this thread was begun prematurely but already the Travelodge Southbank, which some attendees stayed at last year, appears to be fully booked for that weekend.

_____

If we go back to the beginnings of things, we shall always find that ignorance and fear created the gods; that imagination, rapture and deception embellished them; that weakness worships them; that custom spares them; and that tyranny favours them in order to profit from the blindness of men. Baron d'Holbach
Old 7th July 2011, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Voltairine said View Post
It may seem like this thread was begun prematurely but already the Travelodge Southbank, which some attendees stayed at last year, appears to be fully booked for that weekend.
This is true!

The GAC also coincides with the last weekend of the Victorian school holidays (and possibly NSW?) and Easter.

So if you need to book accommodation for the weekend, it is strongly recommended you get in as soon as you can!
Old 7th July 2011, 07:00 PM
There was cheese

(Not that I'm overplanning this or anything but... )

On the MCEC website, it mentions that the Saturday session ends at 5pm and the dinner starts at 7pm. If this is the case, this might influence the choice of hotel (i.e. distance from the MCEC in order slip back to change for the dinner) for those going to both.

Is this so?

_____

If we go back to the beginnings of things, we shall always find that ignorance and fear created the gods; that imagination, rapture and deception embellished them; that weakness worships them; that custom spares them; and that tyranny favours them in order to profit from the blindness of men. Baron d'Holbach
Old 7th July 2011, 09:44 PM
Minister for Religious Genocide
Super Moderator

Location: Melbourne: a small village on Mars just outside the capital city, Wibble

Quote:
Voltairine said View Post
(Not that I'm overplanning this or anything but... )

On the MCEC website, it mentions that the Saturday session ends at 5pm and the dinner starts at 7pm. If this is the case, this might influence the choice of hotel (i.e. distance from the MCEC in order slip back to change for the dinner) for those going to both.

Is this so?
Jeff's Shed (or MCEC for you out of towners) is within very reasonable walking distance from the CBD. There are also three tram routes and two train stations nearby. As long as you are not staying too far out of town, you should be okay.
Old 7th July 2011, 10:42 PM
AFA Member

I think this was raised last year and it was suggested that using the cloakroom facilities might be useful if people wanted to put on a nicer jacket, or have a better blouse to slip on at the end of the day. I found the cloakroom around the back of the venue, really quite close to all the entry doors. There's lots of toilet facilities around the venue where if you felt you were REALLY pressed, you could change and then just cool your heels with a coffee until it all started.

Really, the way tables were organised to seat people ahead of time and when it started, I don't think it was a rush at all. People mingled a bit, the entertainment started after the food was served and was timed well - even (at the very worst) if you missed your entree, there was so much happening on the night, it didn't matter.

People had mixed dress standards (ranging from the most little black cocktail dress to the usual pair of jeans and an atheist slogan t-shirt). No one cared if you had your shirt from earlier in the day on. Just two minutes with the Chasers' talking about the 'Satan Bus Campaign' was worth it.

I should point out, I'm the kind of person who keeps a little toiletries bag in her desk with a change of top, little bottle of perfume, hairbrush, clips, nicer heels and lipstick so I don't have to go home at the end of the day and return in four hours time to do parent-teacher interviews and it's exactly the same situation. Just pop on a new jacket, wear better shoes that day than usual, put in some nicer earrings and reapply lipstick and you'd be fine. ESPECIALLY if you're a guy, nice earrings on a guy are cute.

[Admission - last time I was in Melbourne, I visited the venue specifically to check out where the powerpoints were for recharging a laptop during the breaks! And I found a prayer room around the corner of the Security office near the cloakroom, which amused me no end.]

Last edited by Podblack; 7th July 2011 at 10:48 PM. Reason: bit more clarification
Old 8th July 2011, 12:37 AM

Assuming that I get everything in order, I may have an empty couch that someone can crash on for free. It's not an open offer yet though... watch this space...

[edit] in West Brunswick...
Old 8th July 2011, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Antipotheosis said View Post
Assuming that I get everything in order, I may have an empty couch that someone can crash on for free. It's not an open offer yet though... watch this space...

[edit] in West Brunswick...
Hey!! How are you? Great to see you Hope all is well in Antipotheosis land.