Go Back   AFA Forums > Atheism > Global Atheist Convention Forum

Global Atheist Convention Forum All discussions regarding the AFA's Global Atheist Conventions

Old 16th April 2012, 11:26 AM
AFA Member

Default GAC 2014

Someone has to start the "when's the next atheist convention going to be on" thread.

And the "who would you like to see speak at GAC2014" thread.

So I have.

A Tweet i received from Dr Paul Willis aka @Fossilcrox: Get me an invite to the next #atheistcon !
Old 16th April 2012, 01:07 PM
AFA Member

Default Re: GAC 2014

Dave the Happy Singer started a list on Twitter, here it is with some of my additions:

Ricky Gervais
Stephen Fry
Father Bob
John S Wilkins
Eddie Izzard
Matt Dillahunty
Seth Andrews (The Thinking Atheist)
Russell Blackford
Stephen Merchant
Jane Caro
Matthew Inman (Oatmeal)
Old 16th April 2012, 01:21 PM
Minister for Religious Genocide
Super Moderator

Location: Melbourne: a small village on Mars just outside the capital city, Wibble

I would especially like to see The Oatmeal, as he is a very popular web-based cartoonist (if you don't know his work, head here).

He is a young bloke, really really ridiculously good looking (like Sam Harris), and a funny bastard. Since cartoonists are also under attack by the religious nutters (remember the Danish cartoonists), and he also is a huge advocate of internet non-censorship and the repelling of laws like SOPA, I believe he would be a valuable addition to any convention on atheism and rational thought.

Actually, I have never seen Sam Harris and The Oatmeal together at the same time... *put on tinfoil hat*

Last edited by Lord Blackadder; 16th April 2012 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Spelling. Gah - still tired
Old 16th April 2012, 01:33 PM

Location: i live on a small cattle ranch with my husband and 2 kids

Its an atheist convention so i guess what im about to say is silly but o would like to see less antireligion and more science.but i guess Religion is an important topic so perhaps just increase the length of the convention to allow a wider range of topics.
Old 16th April 2012, 01:58 PM
Up there for thinking...

Quote:
tash3 said View Post
Its an atheist convention so i guess what im about to say is silly but o would like to see less antireligion and more science.but i guess Religion is an important topic so perhaps just increase the length of the convention to allow a wider range of topics.
As I'm not from a scientific background my interests lie more in the philosophical and political side of things. I felt there was an appropriate balance this year.

i sent this from my iPad
“The only position that leaves me with no cognitive dissonance is atheism. It is not a creed. Death is certain, replacing both the siren-song of Paradise and the dread of Hell. Life on this earth, with all its mystery and beauty and pain, is then to be lived far more intensely: we stumble and get up, we are sad, confident, insecure, feel loneliness and joy and love. There is nothing more; but I want nothing more.” -Christopher Hitchens
Old 16th April 2012, 02:06 PM

Politics usually dont interest me but ayaah hishi ali was good. I was plannin on leavin her talk early to get ready fpr the dinner but i was enjoyin it more then i thought i would so i stayed
Old 16th April 2012, 02:38 PM
AFA Member

The GAC2012 protesters were entertaining in their own scary and simple way. But no need to invite them since they'll just invite themselves anyway!

Perhaps civil counter-protests should be organised at GAC2014 for when they inevitably turn up? Nothing hostile. More like a human megaphone to shout back pithy retorts?
Old 16th April 2012, 02:43 PM

Paint ball guns would be more fun but i guess peaceful will have to do lol
Old 16th April 2012, 02:47 PM
Here come the drums, here come the drums!

Tash, I strongly encourage you to read Ayaan's books if you haven't done so. She's amazing and has done incredible work to help highlight the plight of suffering endured by young Muslim women and girls, as well as her own personal battles.

The world needs more women like her and she was a brilliant and worthy addition to the Four Horsemen panel.

Have a safe trip home

GACing & Tapping
Old 16th April 2012, 03:02 PM
Being a bigot makes me sick.

Quote:
ptah said
The GAC2012 protesters were entertaining in their own scary and simple way. But no need to invite them since they'll just invite themselves anyway!

Perhaps civil counter-protests should be organised at GAC2014 for when they inevitably turn up? Nothing hostile. More like a human megaphone to shout back pithy retorts?
I have an idea about the protestors, but it will be in the lounge if it develops into a thread.