Go Back   AFA Forums > Secularism and Social Issues > Women's issues and equality

Women's issues and equality Safe zone for the discussion of women's rights and equality

Old 31st December 2017, 09:09 PM
AFA Member

Default Re: All Things Sexist/ A Resource Thread

Quote:
wearestardust said View Post
And also an explanation of how any such differences (and there are some, on average; an all-comer heavyweight boxing match would tend to favour men) leads to women being treated differently to men at law?
The Prime Directive in Law as it is practised [with a few exceptions] is "might is right!"

If it were not the case, "Erin Brockovich" would never have been so remarkable that people had to make a movie out of it. I am not saying that the law has not vastly improved since feudal times [in some jurisdictions], but it still has a ways to go.

The very idea that justice can work well under a system where one side has a battalion of lawyers and a billion dollar budget and the other side of has one or only a few and the truth will automatically come to light is childishly ludicrous and naive, or just plain predatory.

That is WHY the "Erin Brockovich" story was so attractive to people, because such victories are so rare. David beat Goliath, so rare as to be remarkable, and of course the subject of fiction, including the holy wibble.
Old 15th January 2018, 08:19 PM
Proceed at own risk

More toxic masculinity from MSN-

The man who received death threats for taking his wife's surname

http://www.msn.com/en-au/lifestyle/f...id=mailsignout
'When Sydney-sider Grant Phillips announced on Facebook that he'd changed his name to his wife's after they got married he wasn't expecting to be turned into an international news headline.
Phillips had thought he was just making a fairly innocuous status update to let his friends know that it was still him, but it prompted a flurry of media attention across the globe, from Ireland to the United States.
And an avalanche of abuse by strangers wishing his violent death.
"Go kill yourself", wrote one man to Phillips.
Another man was more specific about his hopes for his death. "I hope you and your wh--- die in a car crash so that your genes don't continue".
Others wished infertility on him and his wife. "I hope your wife can't have kids, that'll be god's way of punishing you".

Phillips and his wife had not planned to make a political statement with their name change decision.
"My wife has no male cousins and is the last in her family's lineage with the name of Phillips, so it would die out after her", said Phillips via email. "I was completely taken by surprise that in 2017 this was something that was making noise".'

It takes so very little to upset these whiny morons. It seems like desperation to me.
Thank The Irreverent Mr Black thanked this post
Old 15th January 2018, 08:45 PM
Arse-pocalyptic

Quote:
knowledge is power said View Post
More toxic masculinity from MSN-

The man who received death threats for taking his wife's surname (snip)
Jings! I had discussed exactly this possibility with TEVW last week. In the end, we both decided it wasn't worth the stuffing round with officials. We'll stay named the way we are.

Everything before the "but" is bullshit. - Black's Grandad.

Like wolty liked this post
Old 15th January 2018, 08:57 PM
This space for rent
Super Moderator

Quote:
Why would these men — and yes all the abusive messages sent to Phillips were written by men — take time out of their day, and waste the keystrokes and the blood vessels abusing someone they don't know for doing something that doesn't affect them?

Because to men who cling to the ideals of toxic masculinity, Phillips decision is a direct attack on their identity as a man. It represents nothing less than an existential threat to the men who have built their identity and self-worth on their relative dominance over women.

Names hold power and when Phillips took his wife's name he was relinquishing a slice of traditional male power.

Why else would the men ask questions like: "Do you get your period too mate?" and conclude: "Even your Facebook is feminine".
When being a women is used as a weapon.

Fun fact. When Annie and I were talking about getting married my (very traditional but well meaning) father jokingly asked 3 times if Annie was taking my last name. On the third mention of it on the phone to me I told him we had discussed it and come to the decision I was to take Annie's name. He never mentioned it again.

The Nizkor Project- Logical Fallacies

Atheist: n; A person to be pitied in that he is unable to believe things for which there is no evidence, and who has thus deprived himself of a convenient means of feeling superior to others.
—Chaz Bufe, The American Heretic’s Dictionary
Old 28th January 2018, 08:57 PM
Proceed at own risk

From MSN-Comment: James Bond was a rapist

'A few weeks ago I was stuck listening to one of those endless loops of bickering as my kids debated what movie we should watch. I put an end to it by announcing, “I have the perfect film. You’ll love it.” I loaded up Goldfinger.

Within ten minutes, things became uncomfortable as we watched Bond break into a hotel room and overpower a woman in order to have sex with her. Then, of course, P---y Galore arrives. Bond uses a series of judo moves to overpower her. He crawls on top of her, spreading her legs apart. As he tries to kiss her, she twists her face away and struggles desperately to fight him off. But, inevitably, she is beaten. Bond gets what he wants. “Ok, kids, new movie.”'

http://www.msn.com/en-au/entertainme...id=mailsignout

I was rewatching Iron man the other day, and while stark didn't rape anyone, i was disturbed by the way he mansplained a female reporter, called her honey and the next thing you know they're in bed together! I'm like WTF!!! Granted he was being portrayed as a rich spoiled cad, and he changes but seriously what was with the supposedly tough defiant reporter just caving?
juvenile male fantasy I tells ya. No more of that, please Marvel. F*ck that sh*t.

My point to this post being in the link, that rewatching some movies we liked can become disturbing.

Last edited by knowledge is power; 28th January 2018 at 09:01 PM.
Thank wolty, Logic please, Darwinsbulldog thanked this post