Politics Political issues which help or hinder our society

Old 18th April 2017, 09:54 PM
"Mr Charles Darwin had the gall to ask"

Default Re: Make Britain Great Again

Sadly, it has been thus for some time.
Like Soup Dragon liked this post
Old 19th April 2017, 12:58 AM

I'll keep an eye on the polls, and believe the opposite.
Old 19th April 2017, 01:58 AM
AFA Member

Quote:
Svadifari said View Post
I'll keep an eye on the polls, and believe the opposite.
Good idea, Trump had no chance and Brexit was a ship with no engine,and look what happened. Now to be honest I think it was a cynical ploy to call it after signing off on Brexit, but lets wait and see, I expect the scots to call for a simultaneous Scexit poll from the United Kingdom.
Old 19th April 2017, 02:09 AM
Buffoon

WOman who repeatedly said she would not call election before 2020, calls election.

#doesn'tshelooktired

"'Science doesn't know everything' - which is true. Because if it did, it would stop" - Dara O'Briain
Old 19th April 2017, 07:06 AM
I am no feeble Christ, not me.

Quote:
pipbarber said View Post
Hadnt factored in the Scots. That does complicate matters indeed. The SNP want to remain in Europe i assume. So how is that going to work? Will they pitch for a separatist referendum on the same day? What's the process?
It's my understanding (i.e. I haven't googled it to check my memory of the article I read a while back) that a referendum has to be approved by Westminster, and it won't happen this time. But if there are enough pro-independence MPs after June 8 it will be harder for May to stop it happening later. It's too late to slice Scotland off from Brexit. An independent Scotland would have to apply for EU membership. As we've seen from other small nations, it's a years-long process. The thing to watch for is SNP gains in June, and MPs from other parties who'll back a referendum.
Old 19th April 2017, 07:37 AM
See you at the snow....
Super Moderator

The Nizkor Project- Logical Fallacies

Atheist: n; A person to be pitied in that he is unable to believe things for which there is no evidence, and who has thus deprived himself of a convenient means of feeling superior to others.
—Chaz Bufe, The American Heretic’s Dictionary
Laugh at Blue Lightning, Voltairine laughed at this post
Old 19th April 2017, 12:28 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
stylofone said View Post
It's my understanding (i.e. I haven't googled it to check my memory of the article I read a while back) that a referendum has to be approved by Westminster, and it won't happen this time.
I believe you are correct, there is no legal avenue for Scots to trigger a referendum on their own. I think that there will be another eventually, but there is no way May is going to add another major issue to the election, this will be entirely run on the hard Brexit agenda.

Also there is at least some legitimate reasons in my view as to why there shouldn't be one for a while, them being 1) the last referendum was only held in 2014, 2) a vote for the UK to remain in the EU was already known to be on the horizon by the Scottish voters when they voted in the referendum and 3) the Brexit is already going to be a massive structural change for the UK, add on top Scottish independence and it could seriously destabilise the both the countries remaining in the union and those that wish to leave.

I think the best outcome would be to go through the Brexit, then allow another referendum when the choice of remaining in the UK or becoming independent and joining the EU, and all both options entail becomes clearer. At the moment it is hard to know what the options actually are as we don't even know the what the future relationship between the UK and EU will be.
Old 19th April 2017, 01:08 PM
You get what everyone gets....you get a lifetime

Quote:
WesternGeo said View Post
Quote:
stylofone said View Post
It's my understanding (i.e. I haven't googled it to check my memory of the article I read a while back) that a referendum has to be approved by Westminster, and it won't happen this time.
I believe you are correct, there is no legal avenue for Scots to trigger a referendum on their own.
Um, they already did.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prop...nce_referendum

Old 19th April 2017, 01:10 PM
I am no feeble Christ, not me.

Quote:
stylofone said View Post
It's my understanding (i.e. I haven't googled it to check my memory of the article I read a while back) that a referendum has to be approved by Westminster, and it won't happen this time. But if there are enough pro-independence MPs after June 8 it will be harder for May to stop it happening later. It's too late to slice Scotland off from Brexit. An independent Scotland would have to apply for EU membership. As we've seen from other small nations, it's a years-long process. The thing to watch for is SNP gains in June, and MPs from other parties who'll back a referendum.
I got one thing wrong, apparently the SNP already hold all but a tiny number of Scottish seats, so gains for them aren't really going to be a thing to watch for.

When the last Scottish independence referendum was on I was sort of swayed by the sentimental argument in favour of staying together. But after Brexit the feeling is more "fuck you, little England". Not that I have any stake in it personally.

Although generally it is disappointing as an Australian to see the "mother country" going down the tubes.
Old 19th April 2017, 03:44 PM

Quote:
WesternGeo said View Post
I believe you are correct, there is no legal avenue for Scots to trigger a referendum on their own. I think that there will be another eventually, but there is no way May is going to add another major issue to the election, this will be entirely run on the hard Brexit agenda.

Also there is at least some legitimate reasons in my view as to why there shouldn't be one for a while, them being 1) the last referendum was only held in 2014, 2) a vote for the UK to remain in the EU was already known to be on the horizon by the Scottish voters when they voted in the referendum and 3) the Brexit is already going to be a massive structural change for the UK, add on top Scottish independence and it could seriously destabilise the both the countries remaining in the union and those that wish to leave.

I think the best outcome would be to go through the Brexit, then allow another referendum when the choice of remaining in the UK or becoming independent and joining the EU, and all both options entail becomes clearer. At the moment it is hard to know what the options actually are as we don't even know the what the future relationship between the UK and EU will be.
Free Ebook download, a bit of silly fun:
https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/702211
Quote:
Following Brexit and then the election of Donald Trump, Scotland breaks away from the UK and crowns an English council parking official ‘King of Scotland’. All hell breaks loose. Scotland’s First Minister wanted a stupid king, one she could boss around and control. Instead she gets a headstrong, idealistic monarch.