Go Back   AFA Forums > Secularism and Social Issues > Politics

Politics Political issues which help or hinder our society

Old 3rd April 2017, 04:31 AM

Default Re: President Donald Trump

Hey, lighten up. Don't you know that the Bible isn't supposed to be read literally, but metaphorically.
Old 3rd April 2017, 05:09 PM
AFA Member

First of a four part editorial from the LA Times on the Trump train wreck, enjoy...and or weep!

http://www.latimes.com/projects/la-e...t=oft12aH-1gp2

Quote:
It was no secret during the campaign that Donald Trump was a narcissist and a demagogue who used fear and dishonesty to appeal to the worst in American voters. The Times called him unprepared and unsuited for the job he was seeking, and said his election would be a “catastrophe.”

Still, nothing prepared us for the magnitude of this train wreck. Like millions of other Americans, we clung to a slim hope that the new president would turn out to be all noise and bluster, or that the people around him in the White House would act as a check on his worst instincts, or that he would be sobered and transformed by the awesome responsibilities of office.

Instead, seventy-some days in — and with about 1,400 to go before his term is completed — it is increasingly clear that those hopes were misplaced.
Like stylofone liked this post
Old 3rd April 2017, 06:35 PM
What Me Deluded?

Quote:
THWOTH said View Post
Hey, lighten up. Don't you know that the Bible isn't supposed to be read literally, but metaphorically.
Sorry THWOTH, I badly misconstrued that.

Lightening up is always advisable. Thanks for going easy yourself.
Old 3rd April 2017, 07:04 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
Strato said View Post

Very dudeist guys, awesome.
Like Blue Lightning liked this post
Old 3rd April 2017, 08:56 PM

Now he wants to 'solve' North Korea, with or without China's help.
http://edition.cnn.com/2017/04/02/po...p-north-korea/

Quote:
"If China is not going to solve North Korea, we will," Trump told the Financial Times.
Asked to clarify if he believed the US could solve the problem without China, Trump said: "totally."
Old 3rd April 2017, 10:39 PM
AFA Member

On LNL tonight there is a complaint that Hillary has to pay for everythin Bill did and does, yet the reality is that she obtained her position to strike for the presidency at least in a very large part by dynastic succession
Old 3rd April 2017, 10:43 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
wadaye said View Post
On LNL tonight there is a complaint that Hillary has to pay for everythin Bill did and does, yet the reality is that she obtained her position to strike for the presidency at least in a very large part by dynastic succession
I read an article this week that Chelsea Clinton is intending to enter politics too. This dynastic bullshit is...well...bullshit.
Dislike Blue Lightning disliked this post
Old 3rd April 2017, 11:07 PM
"Mr Charles Darwin had the gall to ask"

Hillary Clinton stood to be judged on her own worth, her qualifications for the job and her own policies.

If it's true that Chelsea Clinton wishes to enter public life, she should be judged on her own merits.

Seriously, how does anyone now know that Chelsea Clinton has nothing to contribute, such that her decision merely merely to enter politics, is "dynastic bullshit"?

If that's what contended, I firmly disagree.

It would be a disgrace to condemn someone, and deny the possible merit of even their entry into public life, on the basis of the perceived or actual faults of their relatives (as distinct from their own faults).

Last edited by Blue Lightning; 3rd April 2017 at 11:15 PM.
Like Strato, lulu liked this post
Old 3rd April 2017, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Strato said View Post
Quote:
THWOTH said View Post

No probs. The Trump Effect has primed all our hair triggers eh. Find your happy place - go and play Little Wing
Old 3rd April 2017, 11:26 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
Blue Lightning said View Post
Hillary Clinton stood to be judged on her own worth, her qualifications for the job and her own policies.

If it's true that Chelsea Clinton wishes to enter public life, she should be judged on her own merits.

Seriously, how does anyone now know that Chelsea Clinton has nothing to contribute, such that her decision merely merely to enter politics, is "dynastic bullshit"?

If that's what contended, I firmly disagree.

It would be a disgrace to condemn someone, and deny even their entry into public life, on the basis of the perceived or actual faults of their relatives (as distinct from themselves).
Thats a fair point BL. However, I just keep thinking about the most corrupt dictatorships, regimes and monarchies of yesteryear that sustain themselves on the back of a familiar dynasty. It's not a good look for a democracy. It inevitably undermines the principle of merit even if the individual was a thoroughly worthy person they are not competing on a level playing field and so there is no way of reasonably evaluating their merit against candidates that dont have the dynastic backing.

I mean no disrespect to chelsea nor her mother but i reckon they might be better served turning their talents and connections to other worthy causes, rather than winning the executive.

But i do take your point. Chelsea is Chelsea, we should see what she has to bring to the conversation.