Go Back   AFA Forums > Secularism and Social Issues > Politics

Politics Political issues which help or hinder our society

Old 1st February 2017, 01:29 PM
AFA Member

Default Re: President-Elect Donald Trump

Quote:
stevebrooks said View Post
I see the alt-right comments are on full in most of the articles about the AG sacking by Trump, one even went so far as to say, and I quote, "I am employed to do whatever my boss tells me to do." Of course leaving out the bit about "within the rule of law and common decency" says a lot about the commenter. They seem to think that whatever Trump tells them to do should be done if you are an employee of the US government, regardless of ethics, morals or common decency or even rule of law.
ooh Superior orders, or the Nuremberg defense, doesn't have a perfect track record.

“Religion the protector of the well fed and consoler of the hungry.” - Mikhail Bakunin
Like DanDare liked this post
Old 1st February 2017, 02:23 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
stevebrooks said View Post
I see the alt-right comments are on full in most of the articles about the AG sacking by Trump, one even went so far as to say, and I quote, "I am employed to do whatever my boss tells me to do." Of course leaving out the bit about "within the rule of law and common decency" says a lot about the commenter. They seem to think that whatever Trump tells them to do should be done if you are an employee of the US government, regardless of ethics, morals or common decency or even rule of law.

I applaud the stand of the AG, even if it did get her fired. She can stand proud that she stood up for what is right. We will see how it does with the new AG! I know that if my boss told me to do something unethical or illegal
I would refuse, this is being looked down upon by Trump supporters as being akin to being a traitor and they are calling for her to be tried for treason, good luck with that.

Interestingly;

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...al-sally-yates

Absolutely!

Firstly, the useful idiots are already there paving the way for tyranny. If we wonder how places ever submitted to it, this is how - by people declaring their president/pm free to dictate law even when it's expressly not their position.

And the Sessions questioning is mighty amusing. I hope that is repeated to him in his own interview.
Old 1st February 2017, 03:24 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
DanDare said View Post
You think the internet and phones are a "secret" grapevine?
No but as i said above... it's just the sheer bulk of data. I'm not suggesting that a server can't be cracked and every online input by a particular individual cant be retrieved, i'm saying that when 50 million people organise a resistance it just doesnt matter that the regime knows, it's just too big to control and too chaotic to stop.
Old 1st February 2017, 03:31 PM
AFA Member

Neil Gorsuch.

Not good, but could have been a lot worse. A nice little article and graphic here from NYTimes

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...t-nominee.html
Old 1st February 2017, 07:02 PM
AFA Member

I'm sure most folks here have seen this but just for edification, and it's prescience, i'll embed it.

Imagine what Hitchens would've made of Trump!
Like DanDare liked this post
Thank joele thanked this post
Old 1st February 2017, 07:03 PM

@CNN
From 2015: Sen. Sessions asks Sally Yates: "If the views the president wants to execute are unlawful should the Attorney General...say no?"

https://mobile.twitter.com/cspan/sta...33322033111040
Old 1st February 2017, 10:59 PM
"Mr Charles Darwin had the gall to ask"

An even more grim follow up to the article I posted a link to recently, from the same author:

Trial Balloon for a Coup?
Analyzing the news of the past 24 hours

Quote:
The theme of this morning’s news updates from Washington is additional clarity emerging, rather than meaningful changes in the field. But this clarity is enough to give us a sense of what we just saw happen, and why it happened the way it did.

I’ll separate what’s below into the raw news reports and analysis ...

Combining all of these facts, we have a fairly clear picture in play.

1. Trump was, indeed, perfectly honest during the campaign; he intends to do everything he said, and more. This should not be reassuring to you.

2. The regime’s main organizational goal right now is to transfer all effective power to a tight inner circle, eliminating any possible checks from either the Federal bureaucracy, Congress, or the Courts. Departments are being reorganized or purged to effect this.

3. The inner circle is actively probing the means by which they can seize unchallenged power; yesterday’s moves should be read as the first part of that.

4. The aims of crushing various groups — Muslims, Latinos, the black and trans communities, academics, the press — are very much primary aims of the regime, and are likely to be acted on with much greater speed than was earlier suspected. The secondary aim of personal enrichment is also very much in play, and clever people will find ways to play these two goals off each other.

Interesting, scary analysis.
Old 2nd February 2017, 12:08 AM

Rather heavy on the hyperbole and the presumption of malign intent i thought - though that's not said to invalidate the author's conclusions.
Old 2nd February 2017, 10:22 AM
AFA Member

Thanks BL, another interesting article there by Yonatan Zunger. My critique of this piece is that Zunger attributes too much intelligence and planning to the Trump group to the point of taking on a slightly conspiratorial tone. On the surface, Trump's 'regime' appears to me to be driven mostly by chaos and ineptitude based on a half baked xenophobic ideology, rather than some long standing blueprint for total power and wealth - not that this means total power and wealth wont be achieved.

However, if you had to choose between a rational Machiavellian regime intent on total political control while channeling the nation's wealth into the hands of a very few and a bumbling bunch of half wits with the same ambition, who would you choose? I think i'd choose the former.

The Machiavellian mob would find the path of least resistance, the inept half wits could do anything from declaring martial law to launching a global war (although i guess, those things may themselves constitute a path of least resistance, hmmm!) Anyway, at the moment Trump's group, to me, appear to be more in the latter camp - the bumbling half wits. Either way though, the situation is grim and unprecedented in my lifetime. Just thinking out loud here and trying to get my head around what the fuck is going on.
Old 2nd February 2017, 10:23 AM
Take my advice, don't listen to me

http://ps.ibt.com/2017/01/23/257474/...1485206243.mp4

Sean Spicer on being honest and not lying.

watch 0:15-0:20.