Go Back   AFA Forums > Secularism and Social Issues > Politics

Politics Political issues which help or hinder our society

Old 20th April 2017, 11:29 AM
AFA Member

Default Re: The Malcolm Turnbull thread

The gutting of the apprenticeship system in Australia under the Coalition only feeds this phenomena. There may well be a shortage of IT and construction workers etc, but long-term shortages surely point to a systemic problem in the training pathways, not short-term shortages that the 457 system was suppose to address.

The unemployment rate is relatively low, but it only tells part of the story, most analysts agree that there is major underemployment in the job market. I am one of them! I currently work a 9-day fortnight due to tough conditions in my industry in WA.

Source: http://www.smh.com.au/business/workp...17-gv09bw.html

Immigration has been what Australia is built on and has allowed huge numbers of people opportunities that they would not have had in their home countries, including my parents. However, there has to be a balance so that local workers have a chance to gain skills and jobs, if left up to the market employers will often opt for a cheaper foreign worker if possible. I think that the current system has gone too far in advantage to the employers and that the government is happy to comply because they do not have to invest as much in training.
Like DanDare liked this post
Old 20th April 2017, 03:20 PM
AFA Member

Increasing the english language requirements for citizenship only reflects our own intolerance
Old 20th April 2017, 03:52 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
wadaye said View Post
Increasing the english language requirements for citizenship only reflects our own intolerance
Agreed. While I think the 457 system needed to be tweaked the parts of this proposal around the more strenuous citizenship requirements are pandering to the far-right elements of the Coalition and ON\Benardi etc.
Old 20th April 2017, 04:09 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
wadaye said View Post

Of course there's a chance that my own opinion that there should be no religious influence in schools and government, no taxpayer funding of religious bodies and schools and no religious exemptions for the imposition of belief in our medical system might actually make me unqualified to become a citizen if I were to apply now.

My values put secularism above all other religious considerations, some religions would consider that anti-religious and I would probably fail due to that.

However I note that they make the mistake of all other bodies applying scripted tests, the prime one being the US visa requirement question, "Are you a terrorist? yes/no". The problem being of course is that this will never ferret out the terrorists, just people with poor eyesight, bad reading comprehension or the hurries!

The prime example being this little three month old terrorist!

http://mashable.com/2017/04/17/baby-.../#DZ_y8NXBZOqy

Quote:
A 3-month-old baby was summoned to the U.S. embassy for an interview after his grandfather accidentally ticked "yes" to a question reading, "Do you seek to engage in or have you ever engaged in terrorist activities, espionage, sabotage, or genocide?"

It is the ultimate "make it look like we are doing something" procedure. No criminal is going to say "yes I am a criminal" and no Muslim who believes wife beating is ok and homosexuals should be thrown off tall building is going to say yes to those questions, so that basically leaves us with a citizenship test that does nothing and tests nothing.
Old 20th April 2017, 04:45 PM
AFA Member

There was always an English component in 457 to residency visa process. How exactly has it changed?
Old 20th April 2017, 05:20 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
pipbarber said View Post
There was always an English component in 457 to residency visa process. How exactly has it changed?
Not in all visas and not for citizenship.

This is saying a vow of loyalty by a non English speaker is just not good enough

Last edited by wadaye; 20th April 2017 at 05:42 PM.
Old 20th April 2017, 05:49 PM

I was having a great conversation today with one of my Indian colleagues about what "dog whistling" is. Which is all you really need to know about Turnbull's recent announcements re 457 visas.
Old 20th April 2017, 06:05 PM
AFA Member

On the thorny issue of English, I'm not entirely sure i'm against some level of English being a requirement for residency. English is the language of power in Australia. It's tricky to effectively function without English, especially long term - as a resident. It's also difficult to promote multiculturalism, as opposed to mono-culturalism, without a common language. On the other hand, language is part of identity but its not as though you have to use English if you dont need to. I dont find this an easy issue, i'm not sure where i stand to be honest.
Old 20th April 2017, 08:49 PM
AFA Member

Most Australians only speak a single language. Some immigrants, but not all, speak two or more.
Old 20th April 2017, 09:00 PM
AFA Member

Its also worth noting that the notion of English being an "Australian value" is colonial spin reminiscent of terra nullius.