Go Back   AFA Forums > Religion, Unreason and Similar Tropes > Belief Central

Belief Central A place for the discussion of belief or a colony for repeated logical fallacies or misrepresentations.

Old 20th April 2017, 11:06 PM
Tanto Nomini Nullum par Elogium

Default Re: Transhumanism

Suggestibility, behind the self-fulfilling prophecy. We must be discriminating about what memes we host.

Sam Harris's latest podcast, What Is Technology Doing to Us?

'In this episode of the Waking Up podcast, Sam Harris speaks with Tristan Harris about the arms race for human attention, the ethics of persuasion, the consequences of having an ad-based economy, the dynamics of regret, and other topics.

Tristan Harris has been called the “closest thing Silicon Valley has to a conscience,” by The Atlantic magazine. He was the Design Ethicist at Google and left the company to lead Time Well Spent, where he focuses on how better incentives and design practices can create a world that helps us spend our time well.'

https://www.samharris.org/podcast/it...gy-doing-to-us

In the recent Harris podcast Reality and the Imagination, interviewing Yuval Noah Harari, he puts the question to Harari 'what is subjectively real (for any sentient being?)'

Harari's immediate response is 'pain, suffering.'
Old 22nd April 2017, 12:13 PM

I'm a transhumanist. I think given the way technology is progressing some form of it will be inevitable. I hope I'm around to see how we deal with the ethical issues that come with it.
Old 22nd April 2017, 04:18 PM
Slicing through the bullshit

I'm opposed to too much tech. It has become too integrated into society and how we live, so much so that it's almost impossible to function without it.
How many people could get rid of all their tech (mobile phone, computer, radio, tv) and still be able to have their needs met? My mother has no computer and struggles with understanding mobile phone use. Todays world makes it very difficult to do such things as pay bills and other things without email. she'll survive but in twenty years everything will be done online.
Banking, voting, some shopping.
I want to be able to give up tech for a time if I want to (a year off for example) and still be able to do all the necessary things that are required of me as a citizen.

The bible says, "A simple man believes every word he hears, a clever man understands the need for proof." Proverbs 14:15 LOL.
Old 22nd April 2017, 04:35 PM
I am no feeble Christ, not me.

Quote:
knowledge is power said View Post
I'm opposed to too much tech. It has become too integrated into society and how we live, so much so that it's almost impossible to function without it.
I think a holiday away from technology is a great idea.

I love technology, I've been geeky since my Dad bought a TRS-80 back in the 80s. Big brother had a Vic 20, then I got a C64. Then the whole dot-com boom brought a new wave of techno-utopianism. The internet was going to bring the world together, it would be a great leveller and transcend national borders. Also, being good at computers made you like a kind of super hero in the workplace.

Now here we are 15-20 years later and instead of utopia we have fake news, democracy under attack with weaponised data, and ISIS beheading videos. It's a real let-down. The dystopian worlds of Mr Robot and Black Mirror are the tech-savvy things I relate to nowadays.
Old 22nd April 2017, 09:51 PM

Low tech is cool. Recording on a 4-track, using tape echo guitar effects, fuzz/wah, surf music. Tube amp. Outa sight sound.

I play cassettes in the car. I have a box of them. Little Feat, 'Waiting For Columbus'. Better than the pentatonic algorithmic shite on the radio although The Juke Joint on Melbourne PBS 106.7FM Sunday arvo affords relief. I do dig Fish Go Deep though, streaming out of Ireland. Hipsters know about vinyl for the best sound.

I can't do ShlockBook. I trained myself to reading articles online or books. It's about spending one's time well.

It is inevitably becoming a total technocracy, regrettably.
Old 23rd April 2017, 01:13 AM

An update on this seeming looming scenario dominating our future.

Elon Musk of Tesla and SpaceX and Silicon Valley is also funding research to hook the brain up to the internet-of-all-things, Neuralink Corp.

First they will be using brain-damaged volunteers as guinea pigs, people with nothing to lose, before undergoing the lacing up operation with their own precious brains.

Then the upgrade becomes available to everybody. How credulous to believe those with the power are only given to altruistic, humanitarian motives to share their precious with the helots.

Musk the Prophet says he fears an AI apocalypse. It will wipe out humanity and we are hence compelled to interface with it and control it from within.

Does this mean temper the AI Monster, exercise self-control over the id or something? We become Yodas? We are Yodas.

The Australian
TECHNOLOGY

Elon Musk on mission to link human brains with computers in four years: report

Tesla founder and CEO Elon Musk said his latest company Neuralink Corp is working to link the human brain with a machine interface by creating micron-sized devices.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/busi...0579db5058c517

Vanity Fair article,

http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2017/...top-ai-space-x
Old 23rd April 2017, 08:37 AM
I am no feeble Christ, not me.

Quote:
Strato said View Post
An update on this seeming looming scenario dominating our future.
Elon Musk of Tesla and SpaceX and Silicon Valley is also funding research to hook the brain up to the internet-of-all-things, Neuralink Corp.
There's a lot of hubris in there.

Going to Mars? Remember how hard it was to go to the moon? It took massive resources of the entire US government. And we haven't been back there for decades. Mars is so much harder. It's not going to be a private sector achievement. What happens when they have an Apollo 1 level disaster? Again I turn to science fiction, the silly "Red Mars" sequence by Kim Stanley Robinson, where earth is a global warming hell hole, but up on Mars, colonists just drill a hole in the ground and all this water comes out, just like Jed Clampett discovering oil while shootin' up some food. Their terraforming efforts to create a breathable atmosphere are just as magical. In reality I think this private sector Mars aspiration is also fanciful. The effort required to make it habitable is astronomically (literally) greater than the effort required to fix the earth's climate.

I think the starting point for defence against malign AI is not a machine-brain interface. It's the humble browser plug-in called facebook purity (FBP), which allows you to exclude a whole lot of the crap FB uses to keep you addicted and make money out of you. Ad block software is another one. Give power back to the humans. There are two problems with my approach that spring to mind: firstly, power over humans is what generates the profits. Secondly, an approach like this has less capacity to bring glory to the likes of Elon Musk who is going to SAVE THE WORLD.

I think Mark Zuckerberg still thinks it's really nice that his company makes people "friends", and the more power and wealth he has, the better he can make the world more "friendly"... and he still thinks that even as he rakes in millions by selling data to cashed-up lobbyists and oligarchs who run algorithms to spread fake news and make Marine le Pen President of France.

Musk's electric car and household batteries, however, seem to be pretty good projects.

EDIT:
My view is expressed in that Vanity Fair article:
Quote:
Microsoft’s Jaron Lanier, the dreadlocked computer scientist known as the father of virtual reality, gave me his view as to why the digerati find the “science-fiction fantasy” of A.I. so tantalizing: “It’s saying, ‘Oh, you digital techy people, you’re like gods; you’re creating life; you’re transforming reality.’ There’s a tremendous narcissism in it that we’re the people who can do it. No one else. The Pope can’t do it. The president can’t do it. No one else can do it. We are the masters of it . . . . The software we’re building is our immortality.” This kind of God-like ambition isn’t new, he adds. “I read about it once in a story about a golden calf.” He shook his head. “Don’t get high on your own supply, you know?”

Last edited by stylofone; 23rd April 2017 at 08:44 AM. Reason: added last bit
Like Strato liked this post
Old 23rd April 2017, 02:31 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
stylofone said View Post
There's a lot of hubris in there.

Going to Mars? Remember how hard it was to go to the moon? It took massive resources of the entire US government. And we haven't been back there for decades. Mars is so much harder. It's not going to be a private sector achievement. What happens when they have an Apollo 1 level disaster? Again I turn to science fiction, the silly "Red Mars" sequence by Kim Stanley Robinson, where earth is a global warming hell hole, but up on Mars, colonists just drill a hole in the ground and all this water comes out, just like Jed Clampett discovering oil while shootin' up some food. Their terraforming efforts to create a breathable atmosphere are just as magical. In reality I think this private sector Mars aspiration is also fanciful. The effort required to make it habitable is astronomically (literally) greater than the effort required to fix the earth's climate.

I think the starting point for defence against malign AI is not a machine-brain interface. It's the humble browser plug-in called facebook purity (FBP), which allows you to exclude a whole lot of the crap FB uses to keep you addicted and make money out of you. Ad block software is another one. Give power back to the humans. There are two problems with my approach that spring to mind: firstly, power over humans is what generates the profits. Secondly, an approach like this has less capacity to bring glory to the likes of Elon Musk who is going to SAVE THE WORLD.

I think Mark Zuckerberg still thinks it's really nice that his company makes people "friends", and the more power and wealth he has, the better he can make the world more "friendly"... and he still thinks that even as he rakes in millions by selling data to cashed-up lobbyists and oligarchs who run algorithms to spread fake news and make Marine le Pen President of France.

Musk's electric car and household batteries, however, seem to be pretty good projects.

EDIT:
My view is expressed in that Vanity Fair article:
The Moon mission was "over-engineered" Understandable perhaps. People wanted it to be safe, and not just for humanistic reasons- a space disaster could kill future programs. Although it was "for science" , it was really a cold war competition between the USA and USSR. And remember that a lot of "spin-off's" helped cold war-fighting potential: computers, ICBMs, etc ,etc. And even then, the Moon program was done at the same time as fighting a very expensive war [not only in human terms, but in resources also] -the Vietnam war.
Old 23rd April 2017, 03:38 PM
I've calculated your chance of survival, but I don't think you'll like it.

Transhumanism isn't only about hardware.

Plenty happening in nootropics.

Also nmn, very exciting.

Like Strato liked this post
Old 24th April 2017, 12:36 AM

All this talk of who or what must have control of the future is reminiscent of Judge Doom in Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

"Rein in the insanity!"