Go Back   AFA Forums > News and Social > Off Topic > Geek Speak - Tech Forum

Geek Speak - Tech Forum All things technology oriented.

Old 30th May 2016, 05:35 PM
Because Dickmas

Default Spoof Emails, Botnets and Joe-Jobs

I've been enjoying retirement, but something has arisen which deserved an explanation, and a number of AFA people (forum and otherwise) are involved.

To those who have received emails from "rynosseros (at) iinet (dot) net.au", usually with some nonsensical, clickbaity title, about one line of content, and a link which may be "pittsburghaccountants" or another unlikely domain, I can only say this:

I apologise for what a third party is doing in my name, and I hope you have not clicked the link.

If you have clicked the link, regardless of your operating system, there is a chance your address book has been compromised. In my case, a combination of Win7/Firefox/Thunderbird might have been involved, but I cannot say with certainty that it didn't happen on one of my Linux boxen.

What happened?: As far as I can tell from the rejection messages I started to get from unsuccessful attempts, the third party (probably a botnet) started sending emails from a compromised server (not my ISP or a login of mine), marked as coming from the "rynosseros" user, directed to people in my Thunderbird address book, often in multiples.

As it was an older PC, a number of AFA people were among the unlucky recipients.

I was contacted by one ex-AFA Forums person, with whom I had ceased contact. Their angry reply was CC-addressed to a number of other ex-forumites, so I'm going to need to do a lot of uncomfortable "Hello there! You may not remember me, but...". I imagine this kind of awkwardness is also found in STD infections.

I've got action underway at iiNet to kill the offending email address. I hope their second attempt will be more successful.

What can I (Black) do?: Unfortunately, apart from killing the address and spreading information, there's not a lot I can do. It's like some horrid little scrote has hold of my (physical) address book, and is pranking all my contacts. I have no part in this, and now that the information is stolen, I regret I cannot shove the worms back in the can.

I will attempt, over the next few days, to contact all of the individuals involved.

I will not pollute this post with links, regardless of their veracity and harmlessness, but those interested may care to look up "Joe-job" via a search engine: they may find a more thorough explanation of the method being used by my imposter.

* Please, let's not flood the thread with irrelevant, non-technical matter.

Best to you all!

Black, out.

I'll be reading Free Speculative Fiction Online till we get some more content.

Like odd, Blue Lightning, workmx, Annie liked this post
Thank Strato thanked this post
Old 20th April 2017, 07:13 PM
Because Dickmas

Default Re: Spoof Emails, Botnets and Joe-Jobs

Despite my killing-off the email address "rynosseros(at)iinet.net.au", the wily spambot continues to issue clickbait-laden emails, pretending to come from that address.

A few landed in my honeypot inboxes today.

Remember, "cool things", "very interesting stuff", and the like, are not great reasons to click an unspecified link.

Like wolty, Mjt liked this post
Thank Strato thanked this post
Old 22nd April 2017, 11:47 AM
Because Dickmas

Linky

Article about reading the headers in emails of dodgy origin.

Quote:
[Reading junk spam messages isn’t exactly my idea of a good time, but sometimes fun can be had when you take a moment to check who really sent the email. Here’s the simple story of how a recent spam email advertising celebrity “diet pills” was traced back to a Washington, D.C.-area defense contractor that builds tactical communications systems for the U.S. military and intelligence communities.

Your average spam email can contain a great deal of information about the systems used to blast junk email. If you’re lucky, it may even offer insight into the organization that owns the networked resources (computers, mobile devices) which have been hacked for use in sending or relaying junk messages.

Want to know more about how to find and read email headers? This site has a handy reference showing you how to reveal headers on more than two-dozen different email programs, including Outlook, Yahoo!, Hotmail and Gmail. This primer from HowToGeek.com explains what kinds of information you can find in email headers and what they all mean.

Old 29th April 2017, 07:20 PM
Because Dickmas

Quote:
The Irreverent Mr Black said View Post
Despite my killing-off the email address "rynosseros(at)iinet.net.au", the wily spambot continues to issue clickbait-laden emails, pretending to come from that address.

A few landed in my honeypot inboxes today.

Remember, "cool things", "very interesting stuff", and the like, are not great reasons to click an unspecified link.
And a new iteration is using FWD: and RE: headers, and matching the "rynosseros(at)iinet.net.au"address with a slew of different names.

The titles are still clickbaity crap:
  • Re: it's never too late
  • Fw: some of my thoughts
  • ✉an amazing evening
  • ☯what an amazing surprise
  • ✔Fw: just info
(It looks like the current trend is toward leading with a graphic character), but the worst is yet to come....

The merciless spambot is embedding pictures of KITTENS. Ferfuxake, that is pure evil.

Old 29th April 2017, 07:36 PM
AFA Member

Is it just me or are scams etc on the rise?
Old 29th April 2017, 07:42 PM
Because Dickmas

Nasty persons are collaborating, building on the work of others, and offering themselves for hire, Pup.

Old 30th April 2017, 10:26 AM
AFA Member

Quote:
Nasty persons are collaborating, building on the work of others, and offering themselves for hire, Pup.
Even the govmint is into scamming when they sent out social security overpayments notices, specifically instructing public servants NOT to intercept the ones they knew to be false.

And then there is the phone scammers, the email scammers, the internet scammers, snail-mail scammers.

There must be a whole industry in India -millions of people with phones who try to scam the gullible and the old. We got targeted for months. I tried to block international calls-especially from India.

I never answer a phone call now. I wait until someone says something, and if they don't I hag up. We changed our numbers. if it happens again we will get automated call screening.

Though not a scam, if you try to ring a big business or government department, you get a robot, have to listen to inane music, and maybe after half an hour you might get a human to talk to.

The worst is non-reply email. If someone communicates with you, you should be able to do the same with them.

Anyway, I hate scammers, and if ever I met one in the flesh I would probably do them serious damage.
Old 30th April 2017, 10:40 AM
Because Dickmas

"Your time and money are valueless to us. Thank you for holding..."

Old 30th April 2017, 11:13 AM
AFA Member

Quote:
"Your time and money are valueless to us. Thank you for holding..."
It is OK if you are a lawyer though, you can bill someone at $250 an hour......
Old 30th April 2017, 11:22 AM
Because Dickmas

Yeah, anyway, this is (hopefully) a thread about impersonation-based exploits.

Another one about cyber-pains-in-the-realspace-bum would probably be well-populated.