Go Back   AFA Forums > Atheism > Global Atheist Convention Forum

Global Atheist Convention Forum All discussions regarding the AFA's Global Atheist Conventions

Old 7th April 2017, 12:18 PM
AFA Member

Default Re: It's back! Global Atheist Convention 2018

It's back!
and so am I

just saw the advert for the 2018 Global Atheist Convention on my fb stream.
Thought I should check in and say Hi to everyone and possibly see you all again next year.
Old 7th April 2017, 01:00 PM
AFA Member

You only want uz for the Conventions!
Old 7th April 2017, 01:38 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
Darwinsbulldog said View Post
You only want uz for the Conventions
actually it's only for the beers afterwards
Old 7th April 2017, 02:18 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
OzAtheist said View Post
actually it's only for the beers afterwards
I think that woz wot made me an atheist ---beer! I got fed up with the "not-another-fucking-Synod-meeting-with-whine" phenomenon.

Old 28th April 2017, 03:17 PM
Goal: 3,000 posts before GAC, without playing Mafia

I have a technical question about GAC.

Technically, when is it too early to book flights?

It's not that I'm over-keen (well...), but people are already booking flights for that time of year, as it's the busiest time for travelling here (imagine the travel crowds of Christmas and New Year combined) and people book a year in advance. It's the flight(s) back that has me concerned as I'll probably land back here on the day before the first day of CNY.

What, indeed, is an atheist? He is one who destroys delusions which are harmful to humanity in order to lead men back to nature, to reality, to reason. He is a thinker who, having reflected on the nature of matter, its energy, properties and ways of acting, has no need of idealised powers or imaginary intelligences to explain the phenomena of the universe and the operations of nature. Baron d'Holbach

_____

If we go back to the beginnings of things, we shall always find that ignorance and fear created the gods; that imagination, rapture and deception embellished them; that weakness worships them; that custom spares them; and that tyranny favours them in order to profit from the blindness of men. Baron d'Holbach
Old 28th April 2017, 05:46 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
Voltairine said View Post
I have a technical question about GAC.

Technically, when is it too early to book flights?

It's not that I'm over-keen (well...), but people are already booking flights for that time of year, as it's the busiest time for travelling here (imagine the travel crowds of Christmas and New Year combined) and people book a year in advance. It's the flight(s) back that has me concerned as I'll probably land back here on the day before the first day of CNY.

Technically, we were not able to book an overseas flight [over 12 months], but we determined to go, so we had booked just over 13 months via our travel agent. I imagine domestic could be tougher..more short term. But I have no idea really. Find a tame travel agent.
If you can link the flight to a specific event [you can!] then I don't see any major issues that would stop you making a booking.

Of course, even with a booked flight, some airlines will forcibly remove you from year seat!!!

Last edited by Darwinsbulldog; 28th April 2017 at 05:52 PM.
Like Voltairine liked this post
Old 28th April 2017, 07:59 PM

Sorry... My "technically" in this instance was tongue in cheek, i.e. is it crazy to book a flight this early for GAC?

I've already checked flight times/prices.

I've already checked Seat Guru.

I've already done a 'dummy' booking.
What, indeed, is an atheist? He is one who destroys delusions which are harmful to humanity in order to lead men back to nature, to reality, to reason. He is a thinker who, having reflected on the nature of matter, its energy, properties and ways of acting, has no need of idealised powers or imaginary intelligences to explain the phenomena of the universe and the operations of nature. Baron d'Holbach

_____

If we go back to the beginnings of things, we shall always find that ignorance and fear created the gods; that imagination, rapture and deception embellished them; that weakness worships them; that custom spares them; and that tyranny favours them in order to profit from the blindness of men. Baron d'Holbach
Old 29th April 2017, 10:57 AM
AFA Member

Quote:
Voltairine said View Post
Sorry... My "technically" in this instance was tongue in cheek, i.e. is it crazy to book a flight this early for GAC?

I've already checked flight times/prices.

I've already checked Seat Guru.

I've already done a 'dummy' booking.
Well, it is also crazy to doubt the reality of god, or so many believe!

Tempting possible reply to the bolded, but I will be strong!
Old 30th April 2017, 09:30 AM
AFA Member

The event is confirmed to happen, so if it's cheaper for you, I don't see why you should be discouraged from taking advantage of cheaper prices for flights. Also there's a few older threads on accommodation / things to do there around that time in Melbourne and I remember the official website in the past had an FAQ on that kind of thing, if that's of use.

Last edited by TokenSkeptic; 30th April 2017 at 09:31 AM. Reason: whoops, kitten hit send ahead of time
Like Voltairine liked this post
Old 2nd May 2017, 03:11 PM

Hope to book the flights this week. Just trying to figure out the return day...

TokenSkeptic, it's not about the cost - I wish it was. LOL!

The return flight is at the most expensive (popular) time of the year for flights here, so it's about getting a seat. Thousands of students in Australia and Singapore (stopover) might need to fly home for the holiday.

Why couldn't it have been March?

_____