Go Back   AFA Forums > Welcome > Introduce Yourself

Introduce Yourself Please introduce yourself and share what makes you faithless or faithful.

Old 20th March 2017, 11:23 AM

Default Lifelong atheist. Sydney Australia. G'day.

G'day everyone.

I have been a member of a US based atheist site for a few years. Sadly it is chock full of American politics and theist trolls.

I had to escape.

I am 52, male and retired due to ill health. I've been fighting a deadly cancer for over 3 years. I spent 18 months in hospital and 19 months on an experimental drug.

I find it difficult to be among theists. Especially theist trolls. I do not dislike a theist simply for being a theist. I do dislike them when they try to impose their beliefs onto me, whether personal or politically motivated.

I first rejected xianity at age 4 when I read a children's bible. I decided then it made no sense. My view has not changed.

Unlike most xians, I read the bible. For many years I was heavily involved the the US based satirical site, Landover Baptist Church where I was a pastor. This was back in the day before it became known for what it was. We had fun scaring "christian lite" style christians with the many hateful verses contained within their belief system.

These days I lack the energy to bother with xian trolls. I just want to speak with more rational people. And an Australian forum sounds like a good place.

Oh and I recently rejected Coopers beer after they went about selling theism in secular Australia. I sent an email which went unanswered.

Nice to meet you. I do hope I fit in.

NOTE: Due to the staggering amount of heavy chemicals that have passed through my body, E.G. 200+ chemo treatments, I sometimes get confused. I ask that when I appear confused, please be patient with me.

Unsure if my membership has expired with Aus Atheists. I must check and renew.

Nice to meet you all.

Also. I am based in Sydney's inner west. Due to my health issues over these past few years my social network has shrunk. If anyone knows of an atheist group with people to meet I would be glad to learn of it.

Cheers guys. Banjo.
Old 20th March 2017, 01:24 PM
This space for rent
Super Moderator

Default Re: Lifelong atheist. Sydney Australia. G'day.

Hi Banjo, welcome to the forums. Sorry to hear about your ill-health. Modern medicine is an amazing thing though so hope all goes well with the drug regime.

Sydney Atheists have some meet-ups in Western Sydney, I'll pass this post along to a couple that are involved.

Hope you enjoy the place.

The Nizkor Project- Logical Fallacies

Atheist: n; A person to be pitied in that he is unable to believe things for which there is no evidence, and who has thus deprived himself of a convenient means of feeling superior to others.
—Chaz Bufe, The American Heretic’s Dictionary
Thank Banjo thanked this post
Old 20th March 2017, 01:40 PM
Omu'sata

Gudday Banjo

Having watched dad go through chemo, I hope everything is tolerable for you at the moment.
Old 20th March 2017, 01:50 PM
AFA Member

Welcome banjo!

I hope things work out for you on the health front. So many advances in cancer treatment recently. [Which doesn't make cancer treatments any less horrible, but more survivable].

The religious are welcome here. [Hell, a lot of us are ex-theists of one type or another]. But they can't use the forum as a soap-box, so preaching gets slapped down pretty hard.

So long as they obey the rules, the religious can stay. Most don't, because we give them a really hard time if they make baseless claims.
Old 20th March 2017, 02:39 PM

Hello from the Cotswolds, UK. Every day you wake up is a bonus for you (as it is for us all), and every day you post here will be a bonus for us I'm sure.

Don't worry about appearing confused. We have enough members from Melbourne to know how to deal with that.
Laugh at wolty, Blue Lightning laughed at this post
Old 20th March 2017, 02:44 PM
This space for rent
Super Moderator

Quote:
THWOTH said View Post

Don't worry about appearing confused. We have enough members from Melbourne to know how to deal with that.

The Nizkor Project- Logical Fallacies

Atheist: n; A person to be pitied in that he is unable to believe things for which there is no evidence, and who has thus deprived himself of a convenient means of feeling superior to others.
—Chaz Bufe, The American Heretic’s Dictionary
Old 20th March 2017, 02:50 PM

Quote:
wolty said View Post
Hi Banjo, welcome to the forums. Sorry to hear about your ill-health. Modern medicine is an amazing thing though so hope all goes well with the drug regime.

Sydney Atheists have some meet-ups in Western Sydney, I'll pass this post along to a couple that are involved.

Hope you enjoy the place.

Indeed it is. I owe my life to science. I recently told my very skeptical brother "I am science" due to being a guinea pig. He had to agree.

Thanks for the welcome.

Quote:
Stubby said View Post
Gudday Banjo

Having watched dad go through chemo, I hope everything is tolerable for you at the moment.
Thanks mate. Is your dad okay?

Quote:
Darwinsbulldog said View Post
Welcome banjo!

I hope things work out for you on the health front. So many advances in cancer treatment recently. [Which doesn't make cancer treatments any less horrible, but more survivable].

The religious are welcome here. [Hell, a lot of us are ex-theists of one type or another]. But they can't use the forum as a soap-box, so preaching gets slapped down pretty hard.

So long as they obey the rules, the religious can stay. Most don't, because we give them a really hard time if they make baseless claims.
Ha, cool. Thanks mate.

Quote:
THWOTH said View Post
Hello from the Cotswolds, UK. Every day you wake up is a bonus for you (as it is for us all), and every day you post here will be a bonus for us I'm sure.

Hey! I was born in Melbourne!!!!

Thanks for the welcome.

This place seems good already.
Old 20th March 2017, 02:55 PM
What Me Deluded?

It's good to have you here Banjo. Welcome.
Like Banjo liked this post
Old 20th March 2017, 03:16 PM
AFA Member

Hello and welcome to the forum.
Old 20th March 2017, 03:23 PM
Omu'sata

Dad died about 20 yrs ago, banjo. He got an extra 8 yrs out of his treatments, though.