Go Back   AFA Forums > Secularism and Social Issues > Women's issues and equality

Women's issues and equality Safe zone for the discussion of women's rights and equality

Old 15th July 2013, 10:00 PM
Nasty

Default Re: All Things Sexist/ A Resource Thread

12 Things No One Told Me About Sex After Rape.

There is a strange sort of unspoken theory that once a woman has been raped, sex is no longer a viable option for her. Sex has been replaced by trauma, fear, pain, and anxiety. Iím not saying this is never the case. Every survivorís story and experience is different, but too often the assumption is that if you have been raped, you are sexually broken and forever unfixable. That sort of discourse is not healthy or empowering or even sympathetic. What I want to say is what I wish I had been told: rape is not a form of sex, it is a form of assault. Sex feels good. Assault is traumatizing. It is possible for sex to exist after rape because they are different experiences, just like itís possible for you to still enjoy going out to eat even if you got food poisoning once. You might never go back to that restaurant again, but it doesnít mean you will get food poisoning every time you go out
Old 15th July 2013, 11:09 PM
Nasty

Coz we all know that teenage mothers are just so manipulative and threatening. They are just so powerful that all those high flyer execs should be shaking in their shoes. Brrrrrr... Scarey times.

Tories call for pregnant teenagers to lose housing benefit rights

Tory backbenchers are risking resuscitating the party's 'nasty' tag today, as they put the finishing touches on a package of policy measures which includes harsh conditions on housing benefit for teenage mothers.
In the latest alternative policy document, the 40 Group also recommended limiting non-EU foreign students at UK university and cracking down on wind farms.
The document, which has been seen by the BBC ahead of publication, is by the 40 Tory MPs from the most marginal constituencies.
The proposals around teenage mothers are intended to get pregnancy rates down by correcting the impression that young people get free housing if they have a child.
"All benefits to teenage mothers should be made on the condition of them living with their parents or in supervised hostel accommodation," the document reads.
Old 16th July 2013, 07:52 AM
Nasty

Tabloid Posts Misogynistic Review Of Musician Amanda Palmer Ė Artist Replies In Song (VIDEOS) (NSFW)

When noted independent musician, Amanda Palmer, took the stage at the Glastonbury Festival last June, the coverage in the British media was sparse. The BBC did not carry the performance and most newspapers made only a passing reference. However, for the Daily Mail, noted tabloid operator in the United Kingdom, her performance was something to plaster headlines on. Or rather, her wardrobe was. The tabloid ran with the headline:
Making a boob of herself! Amanda Palmerís breast escapes her bra as she performs on stage at Glastonbury

Not her performance, not her audience participation, not even that she bared her soul. The Daily Mail saw a nipple when her bra moved up during the performance, and grabbed itÖ so to speak. But, that was not enough. They had to comment on the rest of her wardrobe as well:

The bi-sexual singer also wore a pair of red velvet jeans and a pair of black arm bands for her set at Worthy Farm.

Old 16th July 2013, 09:03 AM
And if I can reach the pedals, I'll be sweet

Artist creates realistic barbie doll

Quote:
From her outrageously tiny waist to her unfeasibly long legs, the world's most famous doll has long been the target of criticism from feminists and other women's groups who say it promotes an unhealthy idea of body image in girls.

Several artists have set about proving the public's claim by scaling the iconic doll up to human size, to reveal her unrealistic measurements compared to the average human girl.
But now, in a role reversal, one artist has shown what Barbie would look like as the average 19-year-old girl and the results are surprising.

I found it interesting just how unrealistic the original barbie is.
Old 16th July 2013, 03:38 PM
I, for one, welcome our new insect overlord.

Epic retort!

http://amandapalmer.net/blog/20130713/

'[They] agreed that it was neither possible nor necessary to educate people who never questioned anything.' ― Joseph Heller, Catch-22

'While on the other hand, dachshunds are always out of their depth.' - Cyclist

'I'm 'a' problem, not 'the' problem.' - Wolty

'You have to be odd to be number one.' - Dr Suess
Old 16th July 2013, 04:07 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
odd said View Post
Awesome! Can't stand the Daily Mail. Has to be the most cretinous tabloid of the lot of them. Which is saying something.

I've never heard of Amanda Palmer but I love the pun in her keyboard. There's a fantastic keyboard manufacturer called Kurzweil, but she seems to have changed hers to Kurt Weill, who was a famous composer .
Old 16th July 2013, 05:46 PM
Nasty

No surprise: men just don't want it all the time. Jenna Price.

As a sex therapist, George wanted to find out exactly what gaps there were in the study of desire. What she discovered was that all the research on libido was about women. Did we enjoy it? Why didn't we enjoy it? How could we enjoy it more? It was almost as if the study of male sexuality had no questions which needed answering. Even researchers had brainwashed themselves into thinking that men didn't have a problem with sex.
When she started doing the numbers, she discovered more than half the men she surveyed had no interest in daily sex and about one in six men said they would prefer to have sex once every three or four weeks, far distant from the mythology of a sex fountain.
Old 16th July 2013, 07:19 PM
Nasty

Unearned advantage allows men to dominate.

According to the ABS, the proportion of women CEOs in Australia's top 200 ASX companies has remained below 5 per cent for the past decade. Boards and company directors appoint CEOs and 85 per cent of ASX 200 board directors are men. It's not a glass ceiling; it's a masculine fault line.
Unearned advantage, the advantage of being male, is a difficult prize for men to voluntarily abandon. Regardless of how sensitive to social injustice men are, they do little to change the system of dominance, to redress the widespread disadvantage women experience throughout their lives.

Old 18th July 2013, 07:44 PM
Like a supermod without the lycra

This kid should be president

Old 19th July 2013, 09:31 PM
The Rickest Rick

Link

ďThe reality is that so-called pro-life movement is not about saving babies. Itís about regulating sex. Thatís why they oppose birth control. Thatís why they want to ban abortion even though doing so will simply drive women to have dangerous back alley abortions. Thatís why they want to penalize women who take public assistance and then dare to have sex, leaving an exemption for those who become pregnant from rape. Itís not about babies. If it were about babies, they would be making access to birth control widespread and free and creating a comprehensive social safety net so that no woman finds herself with a pregnancy she canít afford. They would be raising money for research on why half of all zygotes fail to implant and working to prevent miscarriages. Itís not about babies. Itís about controlling women. Itís about making sure they have consequences for having unapproved sex.Ē
Libby Anne (How I Lost Faith in the ďPro-Life" Movement) 
(via charlesóbukowski)
[odd]The immenseness of the universe - and Jesus sitting on the outside worried whether a species, that happens to be alive during a blip on the timeline of existence, is masterbating or not. Priceless.
[Goldenmane]To put it another way: I can be charitable without dogma, and if you preach at me as a condition for accepting your help, then you can fuck off.

Theists! Don't forget to read the Great Big List before posting.
Goldenmaneís Third Rule of Public Discourse
Goldenmane's Exposition On Rule Fucking Three