Go Back   AFA Forums > Secularism and Social Issues > Women's issues and equality

Women's issues and equality Safe zone for the discussion of women's rights and equality

Old 30th December 2016, 09:34 AM
Enough words.

Default Re: All Things Sexist/ A Resource Thread

Wow that's disgusting. How could they put those up in the first place? Do they want a men's only bar 'cos that's where their heading.

The bible says, "A simple man believes every word he hears, a clever man understands the need for proof." Proverbs 14:15 LOL.
Old 1st January 2017, 08:21 AM
AFA Member

Continuum of murder is the result of a couldn't care less attitude of society about victimisation of women.

http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/austra...Z&ocid=SL5MDHP
Old 21st January 2017, 04:26 PM

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-38700222

Quote:
France's minister for women's rights said it was a "shocking" decision to appoint filmmaker Roman Polanski as head of the jury for the country's equivalent of the Oscars.

The award-winning director has been wanted in the US for decades after admitting to sex with a minor.

Mr Polanski, now 83, fled ahead of his sentencing for statutory rape in 1978.

The minister, Laurence Rossignol, told France Culture radio she found it "surprising and shocking that a rape case counts for little in the life of a man".
Old 8th February 2017, 09:08 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeGPt6RgjZI

I do not know how this newsreel filler could be any more sexist!
Old 14th February 2017, 02:46 PM
This space for rent
Super Moderator

Oklahoma Lawmaker: Men Must Approve Abortion; Women Are ‘Hosts’

Quote:
New law would require man’s approval for partner’s abortion because women are only “hosts,” and pregnant women’s bodies are not their own.
Oklahoma state legislator Rep. Justin Humphrey is sponsoring a draconian bill, HB 1441, that would require a woman to get written permission from her sexual partner if she wants to have an abortion.
The Intercept reports:
The legislation would require a woman seeking an abortion first to obtain written permission from her sexual partner. It would also require her to provide his name to her doctor and would forestall the procedure if the man wanted the opportunity to challenge paternity.
Attempting to justify the despicable legislation Rep. Humphrey told The Intercept that women have no right to bodily autonomy once they are pregnant because they are merely “hosts”:
I understand that they feel like that is their body. I feel like it is a separate — what I call them is, is you’re a ‘host.’ And you know when you enter into a relationship you’re going to be that host and so, you know, if you pre-know that then take all precautions and don’t get pregnant.
Rep. Humphrey continued:
So that’s where I’m at. I’m like, hey, your body is your body and be responsible with it. But after you’re irresponsible then don’t claim, well, I can just go and do this with another body, when you’re the host and you invited that in.
Rep. Humphrey also said his intent behind the legislation was to let men have a say, declaring:
I believe one of the breakdowns in our society is that we have excluded the man out of all of these types of decisions.
Commenting on the despicable legislation, Amanda Allen, senior state legislative counsel for the Center for Reproductive Rights, said:
I would say it’s certainly a new low for Oklahoma. This is, to my mind, a fruitless effort to shame and stigmatize women who are seeking abortion care and it is completely and unequivocally unconstitutional.
Allen is right, if passed the law would certainly be unconstitutional. The U.S. Supreme Court struck down a similar provision in 1992.
She is also right to note that the legislation is ultimately a mean-spirited attempt to shame and stigmatize women who are seeking an abortion.
Bottom line: For Rep. Justin Humphrey, and conservatives like him, pregnant women’s bodies are not their own: Women are merely “hosts” – and the man must give his approval for abortion to take place.

The Nizkor Project- Logical Fallacies

Atheist: n; A person to be pitied in that he is unable to believe things for which there is no evidence, and who has thus deprived himself of a convenient means of feeling superior to others.
—Chaz Bufe, The American Heretic’s Dictionary
Old 1st March 2017, 09:08 PM
This space for rent
Super Moderator

No words.

Atheist: n; A person to be pitied in that he is unable to believe things for which there is no evidence, and who has thus deprived himself of a convenient means of feeling superior to others.
Old 1st March 2017, 10:09 PM
You get what everyone gets....you get a lifetime

Quote:
wolty said View Post

No words.

Like wolty liked this post
Old 1st March 2017, 11:40 PM

Quote:
wolty said View Post

No words.
Wouldn't even cross my mind. It's funny how deranged people of all stripes assume you fit neatly into their whacky paradigms.
Old 2nd March 2017, 12:41 PM
This space for rent
Super Moderator

Australian women at work: underpaid, discriminated against and told to be 'more confident'

Quote:
Research released before International Women’s Day shows senior female managers earn, on average, $93,000 less than their male equivalents

One week out from International Women’s Day and it looks like no one is going to be startled by any good news about the progress of women at work in Australia.

Three organisations have released new research showing that top-tier female managers earn, on average, $93,000 less per year than their male equivalents, they are twice as likely to be told they need more “confidence” to be a leader (yet are more frequently criticised for being assertive) and, finally, that women who are culturally diverse – that is, not Anglo-Celtic– have it worst of all.

Top-tier female managers earn, on average, 26.5% less than their male counterparts, according to a report by the Bankwest Curtin Economics Centre, in collaboration with the Workplace Gender Equality Agency. Nearly $40,000 of that difference comes from additional remuneration, including bonuses.

Unsurprisingly, it appears that the organisations that have managed to do the best job of narrowing the pay gap also have a gender-balanced leadership, according to the Gender Equity Insights 2017: Inside Australia’s Gender Pay Gap report, which looked at more than 12,000 private sector organisations (of more than 100 employees each).

The pay gap at those companies (on average 10%) is half the size of those found in organisations where women were hardest to find in leadership roles.

Tellingly, gender pay gaps in favour of men are also seen to rise sharply in organisations where the management ranks are heavily female-dominated (more than 80% women).
More at link.

I think it's impossible for women to achieve better results without mens involvement in these areas.

Old 2nd March 2017, 08:18 PM
Enough words.

[QUOTE=wolty;582628]

If I make a comparison with male car drivers vs female car drivers, then yes, I would feel safe. Maybe even safer.

The bible says, "A simple man believes every word he hears, a clever man understands the need for proof." Proverbs 14:15 LOL.