Go Back   AFA Forums > Secularism and Social Issues > Women's issues and equality

Women's issues and equality Safe zone for the discussion of women's rights and equality

Old 16th June 2016, 12:34 PM
AFA Member

Default Re: All Things Sexist/ A Resource Thread

I just interviewed Tara Moss about her new book Speaking Out! It's great! Highly recommended! Will post a link when it's done.
Old 17th June 2016, 10:27 AM
Semi-professional inconoclast

“The Science Behind Banning Body-Shaming Advertising”

by @franciediep

https://psmag.com/the-science-behind...a8f#.f6n2pbcys

Quote:
Seeing thin models in media is bad for your psyche, and body-shaming is bad for brands’ reputations.

London’s mayor announced this week a ban on advertisements appearing on the city’s subways and buses that “could reasonably be seen as likely to cause pressure to conform to an unrealistic or unhealthy body shape.” The prohibition was inspired by protests over an ad that showed up in the London Underground last year, featuring a slim woman in a bikini surrounded by the words “ARE YOU BEACH BODY READY?” The ad was for weight-loss supplements by a company called Protein World.

Mayor Sadiq Khan said he worried about Londoners, especially girls and women, feeling ashamed of their bodies because of the ads. (Graeme Craig, Transport for London’s commercial development director, told the New York Times that stricter laws like Khan’s are necessary on public transportation because of limited space; riders have nowhere to avert their gaze.)

There’s plenty of science to back the idea that body-centric advertising affects people’s self-esteem. In 2002, a meta-analysis found that 25 studies generally agreed that girls under the age of 19 feel significantly worse about their bodies after viewing images of the slim women who dominate mainstream media. Similarly, a 2008 meta-analysis of 77 studies found exposure to media is linked to body-image problems in women. And it’s not just women: Another recent meta-analysis of 25 studies found that media images are linked to body dissatisfaction, lower self-esteem, and excessive exercising in men.

Public health aside, Protein World’s ads seem out of touch with a modern culture that increasingly demands its brands to celebrate more varied body types. Since the early 2000s, many companies, especially those selling to women, have embraced the notion of bolstering—rather than undermining—viewers’ self-esteem. They began doing so after marketing research revealed deep discontent among American women over the thin models appearing in ads. As one consultant told me in 2015: “What many viewers are looking for today is a more inspirational, aspirational message. Don’t tell me what I need to worry about. I already know that.”

“ARE YOU BEACH BODY READY?” tells you what to worry about. That’s so 1997.
This shift in strategy doesn’t mean advertising executives now have the public’s interests in mind, nor even that such ads are necessarily better for people’s psyches. It just means marketers have realized they risk backlash and eroding people’s goodwill toward their brands if they run campaigns like Protein World’s.
Old 20th June 2016, 01:32 PM
Wonder if the beer tastes as good?
Super Moderator

Q: When is an apology not really an apology?

A: When you're so mired in your own privilege that you don't think you ever need to apologise for anything - but you mouth the words for the sake of PR.

Content note: link includes full audio of the offending comments.

Eddie McGuire apologises for comments about journalist Caroline Wilson drowning
Quote:
Collingwood president Eddie McGuire has apologised for his comments about drowning Fairfax journalist Caroline Wilson.
The AFL contacted McGuire over a radio conversation in which he offered money if Wilson went down the slide at the Big Freeze at the MCG, joking about offering more if she stayed under the water.
On Monday, McGuire said on Triple M the remarks were only banter and he had no intention to offend.
"[I'm] really disappointed that these comments have led to these feelings from people," he said.
"I apologise and retract them in the spirit of what we're trying to achieve, which is to look after women and children in our community."
His apology and retraction came after he initially said the comments were made "in the spirit of the fun on the day and who would be next going down the slide".
"That was clearly banter, but on White Ribbon weekend we have to be vigilant about stamping out domestic violence," he said.
McGuire said he "didn't see it as being in any way shape or form sexist", but reiterated he did not want to be seen as being flippant about domestic violence.
"Anything at all that can be perceived to promulgate or support, even in a light-hearted manner, domestic violence is unacceptable," he said.
The offending conversation occurred last Monday but McGuire said he only caught wind of any controversy on Sunday. The comments re-emerged after a blog post by Sydney writer Erin Riley.
"I'll put in 10 grand straight away, make it 20. And if she stays under, 50. What do you reckon guys?" McGuire said to North Melbourne president James Brayshaw and Danny Frawley.
Brayshaw suggested such an act would see "money piling in everywhere", while Frawley said he would "actually jump in and make sure she doesn't [come up]".
Side note: he was just on radio and actually tried to pull a Tu Quoque defence.

ETA: it took this blogpost a week later to prod the AFL into some action. Content note: includes full audio and transcript:

http://erinriley.com.au/archives/2912

Last edited by Logic please; 20th June 2016 at 01:36 PM. Reason: ETA
Old 20th June 2016, 07:40 PM
Minister for Religious Genocide
Super Moderator

Location: Melbourne: a small village on Mars just outside the capital city, Wibble

Eddie McGuire and his little band of mates on The Footy Show are a bunch of misogynist fuckwits. Eddie is like a fart in an elevator - only amusing to himself and the other twelve-year olds.
Old 20th June 2016, 08:55 PM
Why do you ask ...?
Administrator

A response from Jessica Rowe, on the morning TV show, Studio 10.

"
Beer, if drunk with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit and promotes health."
Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Life is far too important a thing ever to talk seriously about it."

Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)
Like Logic please liked this post
Old 20th June 2016, 09:30 PM
Minister for Religious Genocide
Super Moderator

Location: Melbourne: a small village on Mars just outside the capital city, Wibble

Quote:
two dogs said View Post
A response from Jessica Rowe, on the morning TV show, Studio 10.
Now THAT is a smackdown.

And everything she says is on point: Eddie McEverywhere thinks can act like he does because he is a "Melbourne identity" (whatever the fuck that is) and is protected by the AFL. Enough is enough.
Old 20th June 2016, 11:18 PM
AFA Member

How the fuck did he think it was funny? And the other boys giggling along at the fun imaginings of drowning a woman. I don't care man or woman it's just not funny. When the fuck is the AFL or a club going to have a female club president or CEO? Match attendance is 50/50 more times than not more women go through gates. Without women the AFL would be screwed. Such poor form i have a friend giving away mining to give AFL a crack and she is pissed. She thought we had all moved on from this sort of boys club bullshit.
Marx was wrong. Religion is not the opiate of the people. Opium suggests something soporific, numbing, dulling. Too often religion has been an aphrodisiac for horror, a Benzedrine for bestiality. At its best it has lifted spirits and raised spires. At its worst it has turned entire civilizations into cemeteries.- Phillip Adams
Like Logic please liked this post
Old 21st June 2016, 12:55 AM
Super Moderator

Just to be completely accurate D87. :
Quote:
Daniel87 said View Post
When the fuck is the AFL or a club going to have a female club president or CEO?
These are all of the current women Presidents or Vice-Presidents of AFL clubs:

Peggy O'Neal - President Richmond FC:
Quote:
Peggy joined the board on 12 November 2005 and was elected president in 2013.
Dr Susan Alberti - Vice-President Western Bulldogs
Quote:
Vice-President/Forever Foundation

Appointed 16 December 2004
Jeannie Pratt - Vice-President Carlton FC
Quote:

In 2009, Jeanne was made Patron of the Club, a position previously held by Richard. In 2011 she joined the Board of Directors.

Professor Linda Kristjanson - Vice President Hawthorn FC
Quote:
Linda is Vice-President of the Hawthorn Football Club....
And that's about it... noting that women do also serve in Board Director positions.

Interesting to note: neither Collingwood (Eddie McGuire) or the Kangaroos (James Brayshaw), who have each have their President caught up in this clusterfuck, have a woman as President or Vice-President.

By contrast... the current AFA President is Kylie Sturgess.
Old 21st June 2016, 08:17 AM
AFA Member

I had a bad feeling about my 5 minute google effort! Still piss poor

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Marx was wrong. Religion is not the opiate of the people. Opium suggests something soporific, numbing, dulling. Too often religion has been an aphrodisiac for horror, a Benzedrine for bestiality. At its best it has lifted spirits and raised spires. At its worst it has turned entire civilizations into cemeteries.- Phillip Adams
Old 21st June 2016, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Daniel87 said View Post
I had a bad feeling about my 5 minute google effort! Still piss poor
All good mate. It doesn't change your essential point about gender dominance, though.