Go Back   AFA Forums > Atheism > Ask an atheist

Ask an atheist Want to know atheists' viewpoints on things? Want to better understand the atheist worldview?
Here's the place.

Old 21st March 2017, 12:46 AM
What Me Deluded?

Default Re: Homo Deus: A brief History of Tomorrow

I subscribed to Sam Harris.
Old 1st April 2017, 06:36 PM
I, for one, welcome our new insect overlord.

I have not yet read 'Homo Deus', I will - but 'Sapiens' is a must read book. It should be mandatory reading in high school IMO.

'[They] agreed that it was neither possible nor necessary to educate people who never questioned anything.' ― Joseph Heller, Catch-22

'While on the other hand, dachshunds are always out of their depth.' - Cyclist

'I'm 'a' problem, not 'the' problem.' - Wolty

'You have to be odd to be number one.' - Dr Suess
Thank Blue Lightning thanked this post
Old 1st April 2017, 07:04 PM
AFA Member

I started on homo deus today, thanks to yesterday's postman. Good fun read, the first 70 pages, but i'm feeling like prey in a web.
Old 1st April 2017, 09:24 PM
Resident of Fantasy Island

After reading OP, I immediately went to Amazon, bought and downloaded two books: Sapiens and Homo Deus by the same author.

I'm really excited after reading the first few pages of Sapiens - it's really captivating! I will continue reading it tomorrow in free time, not at the cost of my deadlines.
Like odd liked this post
Old 1st April 2017, 10:53 PM
What Me Deluded?

I am glad Az. Sapiens is a blockbuster, a mind opener. Reading is so profitable.

I am rereading Homo Deus.

70 pages from the end it comes on like bad acid. My humanist, individualist world view has taken a hammering. At least my view of the future is forever changed.

Don't let it bring you down.
Old 1st April 2017, 11:52 PM
What Me Deluded?

The end of privacy. All will be revealed. Everything about us is data. We are algorithms. Humanist sentiments will have to defer to the pragmatic fact that your profile, medical, psychological and genetic information will be accessible to your interviewer, probably a Homo Deus, for some fought over position, where the masses as workers will be redundant. Humans will become superfluous.

Human psychologists will be needed, and artists, writers, musicians I guess.

When you program algorithms for self preservation and competitiveness then it's game over.

I await Harari's next work. It may well be a manifesto on how to avert Algorithm Imperialism, the highest stage of Dataism.
Old 2nd April 2017, 07:08 AM
AFA Member

Hi folks i listened to the podcast interview between Harris and Hariri. Very interesting. While meditation, sensations and perception of ourselves on a moment to moment basis are pathways to moving towards the conscious experience of life in all its viscerality, the reference to Vipassana meditation as taught by Goenka being a doorway to such understandng does require a caveat in my view. I noticed that Hariri avoided the clear reference by Harris to notions of consciousness extending beyond death being religious fiction insofar as the criticism also applies to Goenka's teachings. This is relevant because it is impossible for anybody to sit through Goenka's ten, twenty, or thirty day courses and ignore the religious teachings about consciousness surviving death in the case of rebirth within the supposed 31 planes of existence and awareness surviving death beyond those planes in Nibbana/Nirvana.
Clearly Hariri has used the opportunity to meditate to benefit himself in this way, and his experience provides scope for optimism in the venture of understanding oneself. However it is not a prerequisite to understanding to do so through Goenka vipassana or any form of vipassana.
Old 2nd April 2017, 07:26 PM
What Me Deluded?

Quote:
wadaye said View Post
Hi folks i listened to the podcast interview between Harris and Hariri. Very interesting. While meditation, sensations and perception of ourselves on a moment to moment basis are pathways to moving towards the conscious experience of life in all its viscerality, the reference to Vipassana meditation as taught by Goenka being a doorway to such understandng does require a caveat in my view. I noticed that Hariri avoided the clear reference by Harris to notions of consciousness extending beyond death being religious fiction insofar as the criticism also applies to Goenka's teachings. This is relevant because it is impossible for anybody to sit through Goenka's ten, twenty, or thirty day courses and ignore the religious teachings about consciousness surviving death in the case of rebirth within the supposed 31 planes of existence and awareness surviving death beyond those planes in Nibbana/Nirvana.
Clearly Hariri has used the opportunity to meditate to benefit himself in this way, and his experience provides scope for optimism in the venture of understanding oneself. However it is not a prerequisite to understanding to do so through Goenka vipassana or any form of vipassana.
Indeed wadaye.

Harari and Harris both appear to have their heads screwed on, but their advocacy for Vipassana needs to be qualified. They practise a difference 'school' to one another, of the two schools.

In Homo Deus, Harari destroys the notion of the soul, also the self and even disposes of 'in-dividuality.' He is an atheist and doesn't believe in the continuation of consciousness, nibbana or astral travelling and such. Of course, neither does Harris.

I think they practise mindfulness. Meditation I guess is most effective in ordering the mind and filing data, for synthesis. One can apparently 'attain to,' experience, heightened consciousness, lucidity, such as occurs in the liminal state between sleep and wakefulness, hypnagogia, where creative ideas can be born.
Old 3rd April 2017, 06:55 PM
I, for one, welcome our new insect overlord.

I have moved a few posts from this thread - turns out we didn't have an 'Individualism' thread - we do now! Yay. Sob.

'[They] agreed that it was neither possible nor necessary to educate people who never questioned anything.' ― Joseph Heller, Catch-22

'While on the other hand, dachshunds are always out of their depth.' - Cyclist

'I'm 'a' problem, not 'the' problem.' - Wolty

'You have to be odd to be number one.' - Dr Suess
Like Azurisan21 liked this post
Thank Azurisan21 thanked this post
Laugh at Azurisan21 laughed at this post
Old 3rd April 2017, 07:29 PM
Resident of Fantasy Island

Quote:
odd said View Post
I have moved a few posts from this thread - turns out we didn't have an 'Individualism' thread - we do now! Yay. Sob.
Thanks odd! Apologies if I really moved you emotionally.

I was trying to be sincere as much as I could - please pardon my insensitivities and forgive me if you were truly crying out loud.