Go Back   AFA Forums > Secularism and Social Issues > Sexuality issues and equality

Sexuality issues and equality Safe zone for people to discuss gender identity, sexuality and equality.

Old 20th March 2017, 02:58 PM
AFA Member

Default anti-Abortion pressure responsible for death?

Not sure where to put this, but I get a very sad feeling reading it, I can't help thinking that pressure from family drove her to suicide just when she needed support;

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/rea...63863a60d910a6

Quote:
Carla Murtagh was found by her husband Matthew just nine days after she had booked an appointment to terminate her eighth child, The Sun reports.

An inquest into her death heard that as the pair already had seven children aged between 14 months and 15 years, Ms Murtagh had decided to abort the baby in August last year, but later changed her mind and decided to keep it.
Decided to change her mind, she's dead know so we may never know,but further down I read this;

Quote:
When the medic saw the mum on November 4, just two days before she died, she found out Ms Murtagh had missed the appointment after having decided to keep the baby after all.

“She told me they’d had a family discussion and decided to keep the baby,” Ms Grey added. “She seemed happy, and wanted to get an appointment for a scan.”
Although non family medical care people seem to agree she wanted an abortion;

Quote:
On October 28, she was visited by midwife Donna Grey, who arranged an appointment for her to terminate the pregnancy at a Marie Stopes clinic in Birmingham.

The midwife told the hearing: “When I went to her home that day she was very upset.

“She wanted a termination. She was very unsure about her dates of the pregnancy.

“I spoke to Marie Stopes and they could offer her an appointment. After the consultation, she said, ‘Thank you. You’ve given me what I’ve been asking for, for a long time.”
And then she went upstairs while the family were downstairs celebrating a birthday and killed herself.

I can only comment that Murtagh is a good old irish name, she probably married into a Roman Catholic family, I can imagine what the "family discussion" consisted of. Why was it any of their business anyway. This will probably be forgotten, I hope people are feeling guilty at the very least.
Old 20th March 2017, 03:05 PM
Outta here
Super Moderator

Default Re: anti-Abortion pressure responsible for death?

Horrendous.

The Nizkor Project- Logical Fallacies

Atheist: n; A person to be pitied in that he is unable to believe things for which there is no evidence, and who has thus deprived himself of a convenient means of feeling superior to others.
—Chaz Bufe, The American Heretic’s Dictionary