Go Back   AFA Forums > News and Social > Off Topic > Geek Speak - Tech Forum

Geek Speak - Tech Forum All things technology oriented.

Old 18th February 2018, 01:34 AM
AFA Member

Default Re: Tech Scamwatch

Quote:
stevebrooks said View Post
When I used to do IT I would always take Bigpond to task over their procedures. Coincidentally I was once at a customers house when they called up about an account problem, expired CC card or something. Despite Bigpond calling them on the customers phone number before they would proceed they required the customer to provide them with their bigpond username and password.

I immediately took the phone off the customer and asked them to identify themselves, they were unable to provide any suitable ID over the phone, so I asked them to prove they were Bigpond by providing the customers username, they still insisted that the customer had to provide them with their username and password to confirm their identity. I asked them for a name or ID number so we could do a call back on the Bigpond helpline so we knew we were actually talking to bigpond, apparently it's against company policy.

And they wonder why so many people are falling for scams when Bigpnd is actually teaching them to give personally identifying information to scammers. The Bigpond customer representative eventually hung up on me and I told the customer to call bigpond accounts and get it sorted that way, but no way was I going to let them give out their internet username and password to a random call in. I don't know if they have changed their policy but it stunk back then and it probably still stinks, I would never use tem anyway but that's beside the point, how can you teach people to be scam aware when the very procedures employed by tech companies resemble the scams they are being warned against?
Arguably, Bloated Puddle IS a scam, just one that has the protection of the law.
Old 18th February 2018, 10:52 AM

My friend was getting regular calls from a call centre (offshore) and he asked them to take him off their call list. Then he tried getting obnoxious and insulting, which didn't work either.

Eventually he would listen politely to their spiel then say she in a deep raspy voice "you sound really sexy, what are you wearing?". The callers (always male) called their supervisor and my friend would say "you sound really sexy too, what are you wearing?". And they took him off their call list.

Not saying I approve of such an approach.
Laugh at The Irreverent Mr Black, loubert laughed at this post
Old 18th February 2018, 02:35 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
142857 said View Post
My friend was getting regular calls from a call centre (offshore) and he asked them to take him off their call list. Then he tried getting obnoxious and insulting, which didn't work either.

Eventually he would listen politely to their spiel then say she in a deep raspy voice "you sound really sexy, what are you wearing?". The callers (always male) called their supervisor and my friend would say "you sound really sexy too, what are you wearing?". And they took him off their call list.

Not saying I approve of such an approach.
I consider such unsolicited phone calls like unsolicited mail, once it arrives it's your and you can do whatever you want with it!