Go Back   AFA Forums > Secularism and Social Issues > Education

Education How it is and how it should be. The current system and those attempting to subvert it.

Old 23rd January 2018, 11:40 AM
AFA Member

Default Easy mode education, just do ID

So there you are in science class and you get a choice of theories, a complex theory based on mountains of evidence and supported by many text books for which you must display and understanding during your exams, Or creationism. You get equal marks for whichever one you choose to ascribe to..

Quote:
(b) For those students receiving instruction as described in subsection (a), and who accept the Bible theory of creation, credit shall be permitted on any examination in which the student provides a response in adherence to the theory, provided the response is correct according to the instruction received.
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendl...eid=7bd263b041

Here are the questions,

Evolution: Explain using graphs and illustrations how a group of animals can become two different species.

Creationism: Explain how god created all the different animals.

Answers;

Evolution: (ok it's complex and probably not going to be fitted into the time I have available but most of us know how it works)

Creationism: magic!

Which one would you answer given you got equal credits and that's all that matters in high school?

(putting aside ethical and personal feeling on the matter of course, I would hazard the suggestion all of us value truth over pretence and more importantly the answer may impact on future employment in the science community)

Last edited by stevebrooks; 23rd January 2018 at 11:41 AM.
Like DanDare liked this post
Old 23rd January 2018, 12:09 PM
AFA Member

Default Re: Easy mode education, just do ID

While I was teaching at Murdoch university, I was contemplating doing a PhD, but my life was complex, and while I though doing a doctorate level research program might be fun, and had several projects in mind, I felt that I could not devote the time or the focus to do such a project justice. So as a compromise I started a Dip Ed [Tertiary Education].

I didn't last long. One of the first assignments was to describe my teaching philosophy and justify it. It sounded like apologetics to me. Surely a better way would be to compare a range of pedagogys and decided on the best one based on evidence and reason? Needles to say, that particular branch of academic inquiry cooled my enthusiasm, and I dropped out of the program.

Not being a professional educator I don't know if this was just an unfortunate choice of school [for convenience I started the Dip Ed where I taught], or if this "method" of learning was mainstream in the education sector?

Whatever, it seems that sort of teaching philosophy can be used for political means, as in the OP.
Old 4th February 2018, 11:06 PM
Religion or Reality, choose...

Default Re: Easy mode education, just do ID

Guh, no comparison. For the creationism one maybe they should actually have to answer questions about who put forward Id, what biblical texts do they reference and do some proper exegesis at least.

Burden of proof is the obligation on somebody presenting a claim to provide evidence to support its truth (a warrant). Once evidence has been presented, it is up to any opposing "side" to show the evidence presented is not adequate. If claims were accepted without warrants, then every claim could simultaneously be claimed to be true.

History isn't written by the victors. It's written by the people with the time machines.
Like The Irreverent Mr Black liked this post