Go Back   AFA Forums > Welcome > Introduce Yourself

Introduce Yourself Please introduce yourself and share what makes you faithless or faithful.

Old 20th February 2011, 04:19 PM
Cuss-tard

Default Re: You can all feel complete now; The Atheist is here!

G'day mate. We've met before, but not interacted much.

Given your prolifigacy, I'm a little surprised I haven't seen you here before, actually. Maybe we need to advertise more effectively.

@Goldenmane3

Old 20th February 2011, 05:50 PM
Religion or Reality, choose...

This slack arse Australian atheist couldn't be stuffed to write in your hello thread. I'll just have to wait until you write something interesting elsewhere that I have to respond to for the sake of the children. Ignore this comment. I never wrote it.

Burden of proof is the obligation on somebody presenting a claim to provide evidence to support its truth (a warrant). Once evidence has been presented, it is up to any opposing "side" to show the evidence presented is not adequate. If claims were accepted without warrants, then every claim could simultaneously be claimed to be true.

History isn't written by the victors. It's written by the people with the time machines.
Old 20th February 2011, 07:09 PM

I've known The Atheist for nearly 5 years, from the JREF Forum, Skeptical Community, and my forum, the Australasian Skeptics Forum, and he uses the name The Atheist at all of them.

Here's the Cracked article where his avatar is used:

http://www.cracked.com/article_15759...-agree-on.html
Old 20th February 2011, 07:38 PM
Here come the drums, here come the drums!

I've used Praxis all over the internet and IRL for over 10 years. There are people in my life who even call me Praxis (and their kids think that's my real name) but there's some places I just can't sign up with it because it's taken.

And you know what? I suck that up and choose another name.

Just sayin'
Old 20th February 2011, 07:46 PM
Cuss-tard

Quote:
Praxis said View Post
I've used Praxis all over the internet and IRL for over 10 years. There are people in my life who even call me Praxis (and their kids think that's my real name) but there's some places I just can't sign up with it because it's taken.

Just sayin'
One of the first articles I posted on my first (and much neglected - they've all been like that) blog touched on the subject.

*hunts*

Actually, it was the first: Unintellectual Property Theft

I kinda understand where The Atheist might be coming from.

And I would never call anyone else Praxis. Though I might call Praxis 'A_A'.

@Goldenmane3

Old 20th February 2011, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Praxis said View Post

Just sayin'
Yes, fair enough.

What about THE Atheist?
Old 20th February 2011, 08:35 PM
Religion or Reality, choose...

From 10 Things atheists and christians can agree on
Quote:
I mean, that thing I said I said earlier about not celebrating the death of somebody you disagree with... that still counts for a bitter, uncompromising old fart like Falwell, right? We're civilized people. We can celebrate him changing his mind, or even celebrate him being made to look like a fool in public.
But you start cheering his death, you've walked away from the one single baseline every remotely moral person has ever agreed on: the value of human life. And I know we all agree on that, because we can all think of people we could've otherwise stabbed and gotten away with it.
Sure but the examples you gave I think were of people celebrating his absence, not his death.

Quote:
1. You Can Do Terrible Things in the Name of Either One We're putting aside the question of which belief system has killed more people by percentage of population, or whether a hypothetical world without religion would have seen fewer or more genocides than ours. We're not going to open a spreadsheet and try to count which belief system manufactures more murderous sociopaths per capita.
All I need from you is agreement that it's entirely possible for either an atheist or theist world to devolve into a screaming murder festival. The religious leader sends his people into battle because he thinks God commanded it, the Stalins and Maos of the world do the same because they see their people as nothing more than meaty fuel to be ground up to feed the machinery of The State. In both cases, the people are equally dead.
No, can't agree. You are talking about people doing bad things because of their ideology. Atheism is not one. Nobody does things "in the name of atheism". In the name of Marxism, in the name of free market capatilism, in the name of environmentalism, in the name of the fairy creed, but not in the name of atheism.

I can agree that people who are atheist can do bad things, but not because of their atheism.

Burden of proof is the obligation on somebody presenting a claim to provide evidence to support its truth (a warrant). Once evidence has been presented, it is up to any opposing "side" to show the evidence presented is not adequate. If claims were accepted without warrants, then every claim could simultaneously be claimed to be true.

History isn't written by the victors. It's written by the people with the time machines.

Last edited by DanDare; 20th February 2011 at 08:41 PM.
Old 20th February 2011, 08:42 PM
Raptured!

Quote:
Orphia Nay said View Post
Yes, fair enough.

What about THE Atheist?
You could make it ^^Th3 @th3ist^^, but you need to be 14 years of age.
Old 20th February 2011, 08:45 PM
You can't be serious!!?

Quote:
Centauri said View Post
You could make it ^^Th3 @th3ist^^, but you need to be 14 years of age.
Dude, you are spending WAY too much time with the students.
Old 20th February 2011, 08:50 PM
Raptured!