Go Back   AFA Forums > Welcome > Introduce Yourself

Introduce Yourself Please introduce yourself and share what makes you faithless or faithful.

Old 12th March 2014, 11:31 PM
Religion or Reality, choose...

Default Re: Hi I'm Brasil

Quote:
wadaye said View Post
If he didn't exist, what 'he' said is, absolutely nothing. Rather 'he' was a muppet or puppet and who she or he or they who spoke for the puppets becomes interesting and important.
It depends on if you are discussing political strategy or examining the ideas for their own merit. I am talking about understanding the ideas, in which case it doesn't matter if they are part of Harry Potter, you examine the ideas without the context of who presented them.

If you are talking politics then it is important to know who is the actual promoter and try to know something about their agenda. Even then the examination of the ideas should still be thorough and looking at their value in their own right. The political thinking should be extra.

Burden of proof is the obligation on somebody presenting a claim to provide evidence to support its truth (a warrant). Once evidence has been presented, it is up to any opposing "side" to show the evidence presented is not adequate. If claims were accepted without warrants, then every claim could simultaneously be claimed to be true.

History isn't written by the victors. It's written by the people with the time machines.
Old 17th March 2014, 11:12 AM
AFA Member

Quote:
DanDare said View Post
It depends on if you are discussing political strategy or examining the ideas for their own merit. I am talking about understanding the ideas, in which case it doesn't matter if they are part of Harry Potter, you examine the ideas without the context of who presented them.

If you are talking politics then it is important to know who is the actual promoter and try to know something about their agenda. Even then the examination of the ideas should still be thorough and looking at their value in their own right. The political thinking should be extra.
Abstract ideas out if context are not really useful as they are ahistorical and encourage an ahistorical approach. Religion is a prime example.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
Old 17th March 2014, 11:17 AM
AFA Member

Quote:
ricbrasil said View Post

I was atheist for a long time and used to believe that god didnt existed, and that the universe was just a giant 3D pool table full of little balls we call particles. And that science was the actual truth of the universe.

Until I started to study relativity ,quantics and the scientific method. And noticed that the Scientific Method is a falsificational method not a verificational one then I stopped believing in anything.

Today I'm really skeptical.
In response to whether or not you 'believe in scince', I'd like to quote a science lecturer at uni ...

"Water boils at 100 degrees. You don't need to believe in that".

Of course that's subject to lots of fine print conditions and exceptions depending on pressure for example, whether we are talking about on Earth or on Mars, etc.

Old 17th March 2014, 08:18 PM

Quote:
wadaye said View Post
Abstract ideas out if context are not really useful as they are ahistorical and encourage an ahistorical approach. Religion is a prime example.

Lets say Harry Potter talks about how to mitigate global warming by adding sulphur to the upper atmosphere.

Do you worry that Harry doesn't exist or do you explore the idea?

The idea is not out of context. When you explore it you move it into your own context. You may find merit or none, but that will be independent of Harry being the supposed source.

Burden of proof is the obligation on somebody presenting a claim to provide evidence to support its truth (a warrant). Once evidence has been presented, it is up to any opposing "side" to show the evidence presented is not adequate. If claims were accepted without warrants, then every claim could simultaneously be claimed to be true.

History isn't written by the victors. It's written by the people with the time machines.
Old 17th March 2014, 09:49 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
DanDare said View Post
Lets say Harry Potter talks about how to mitigate global warming by adding sulphur to the upper atmosphere.

The idea is not out of context. When you explore it you move it into your own context. You may find merit or none, but that will be independent of Harry being the supposed source.
Na i'd leave the geoengineering to the volcanoes and try to stop this stupid society from its capitalistic (oh and communistic) moronism which is ruining it.

Old 17th March 2014, 11:35 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
DanDare said View Post

Psi'd also know that its really JKRowling speaking. So Harry Potter would exist as JK's avatar. In that sense i would consider the idea briefly, before dismissing it as a patchwork attempt to deal with symptoms whilst allowing for the continuation of business as usual.

Old 18th March 2014, 11:11 PM

Quote:
wadaye said View Post
Psi'd also know that its really JKRowling speaking. So Harry Potter would exist as JK's avatar. In that sense i would consider the idea briefly, before dismissing it as a patchwork attempt to deal with symptoms whilst allowing for the continuation of business as usual.

Except you are now saying that your reason for thinking the idea and its potential side effects has no merit is because who who the idea came from.

Jesus didn't exist. He is just as much an avatar as Harry. That means his utterances as reported are all bad or all good because of the suspected motives of the author?

Newton was a mad loony theist. Do we reject the ideas of optics, differential calculus and the law of gravity then?

Old 19th March 2014, 06:45 AM
AFA Member

Quote:
DanDare said View Post
Except you are now saying that your reason for thinking the idea and its potential side effects has no merit is because who who the idea came from.
No. No, and no again. I didn't say that at all. Have another read of what i said please.

Old 20th March 2014, 10:02 PM

Quote:
wadaye said View Post
No. No, and no again. I didn't say that at all. Have another read of what i said please.
Quote:
Reading "in that sense" suggests in the sense that its really JK speaking, therefore you would "consider the idea briefly" etc. Did you mean something different?

Old 20th March 2014, 11:38 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
DanDare said View Post
Reading "in that sense" suggests in the sense that its really JK speaking, therefore you would "consider the idea briefly" etc. Did you mean something different?
No again. The idea itself, posited by your hypothetical Harry Potter, is not worth considering. Additionally, i can't not know that it was written by a real person and not by a God. If something is attributed to "jesus", there is always an element of the supernatural involved, by which i mean that the reason we have this Jesus story to read is because of people's supernatural beliefs, not in spite of them.