Go Back   AFA Forums > Welcome > Introduce Yourself

Introduce Yourself Please introduce yourself and share what makes you faithless or faithful.

Old 27th November 2013, 07:57 PM
It's getting hot in here .....
Administrator

Default Re: seek fellow nihilistic Atheists to join me in activism against churches in Oz

Quote:
textillis said View Post
you obviously have no understanding of the subject;
try reading something basic about the position in order to see that nihilism is a very powerful critical apparatus or "discipline of the mind" to put it another way ...
with very respectable intellectual pedigree
Do you agree with this?

Quote:
Nihilism is the belief that all values are baseless and that nothing can be known or communicated. It is often associated with extreme pessimism and a radical skepticism that condemns existence. A true nihilist would believe in nothing, have no loyalties, and no purpose other than, perhaps, an impulse to destroy. While few philosophers would claim to be nihilists, nihilism is most often associated with Friedrich Nietzsche who argued that its corrosive effects would eventually destroy all moral, religious, and metaphysical convictions and precipitate the greatest crisis in human history. In the 20th century, nihilistic themes–epistemological failure, value destruction, and cosmic purposelessness–have preoccupied artists, social critics, and philosophers. Mid-century, for example, the existentialists helped popularize tenets of nihilism in their attempts to blunt its destructive potential. By the end of the century, existential despair as a response to nihilism gave way to an attitude of indifference, often associated with antifoundationalism.
http://www.iep.utm.edu/nihilism/

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/djarm67
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/djarm67
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/djarm67
Old 27th November 2013, 07:57 PM
AFA Member

Default Re: looking for fellow nihilists to join in activism against churches in australia

Quote:
textillis said View Post
Yeah, I know, and I give my attention to the things I love, everyday!
But I really DO want to get active in some way to bring to the attention of others the outrage that religion constitutes in a modern democracy when you get a cult like the Exclusive Brethren ripping off the tax system and calling it, cynically but so fukcing smarmy-like: "spoiling Egypt" ie: the world is here for the "saints" and the infidels are only hell-fodder (they really believe this!)
I really think if ordinary folk got to read some of the life-hating crap these bastards peddle, well, something might change. If not, I want to have some outlet for my bile
Um..have you checked out some of the threads post were have here??
Old 27th November 2013, 08:03 PM

Default Re: looking for fellow nihilists to join in activism against churches in australia

Quote:
Rhys said View Post
Hello and welcome.

You seem to have developed quite the specific and unorthodox definition of humanism with which I am decidedly unfamiliar. I do not claim to represent humanists, and do not particularly identify that way.
Inherent in the idea of humanism is the perfectibility or improvability of humans, through progress.

If you don't subscribe to this, you can't call yourself a humanist, at least not with any regard for the term in its historical setting.

I, as a scientific naturalist, see humans as part of nature: another animal, in fact, in nature, and as such, totally unable to bootstrap itself out of its nature to a more noble (more enlightened, less violent, less mendacious, more loving etc etc) nature.

This doesn't prevent me from behaving decently towards other folks;
nor does it prevent me from repressing my violence (as we all do) so as to avoid prison (a more honest motivation than "compassion for all men", when it comes to curbing our naughty monkey natures)

... and ...

The after-life is a fantasy, bird-brain.

Old 27th November 2013, 08:03 PM
Administrator

Are you familiar with this group?

American Nihilist Underground Society.

http://www.anus.com/

Old 27th November 2013, 08:14 PM

Default Re: seek fellow nihilistic Atheists to join me in activism against churches in Oz

No; my definition of nihilism has epistemological, moral, existential and cosmic dimensions.
Basically:
1. Epistemological: we can't know anything (though science is a wan light, the finest creation of certain humans minds, and the only way forward for civilization)
2. Moral: There are no moral absolutes: if I refrain from violence when I am angry, it is out of fear of incarceration, not for love of "fellow man"
3. Existential: life is meaningless, but we can invest it with the fruit of our creativity and passion in order to create the illusion of meaningful patterns, carved out of the night of nothingness
4. Cosmic: (already dealt with, in large part, at 3.) if life has no transcendent, pre-ordained, given meaning, then life no matter where it springs up is similarly without meaning, hence, if there is a point to the universe (or multiverse, depending on how sophisticated you want to get with your cosmology) it will certainly have nothing to do with humans.

None of this prevents me from behaving decently towards other life forms.
Hence, your comment, none-too-subtly condemning my position before you knew it, your comment about my not wishing any fellowship with others, was specious, thoughtless and gratuitous.

... and ...

Old 27th November 2013, 08:16 PM
This space for rent
Super Moderator

Quote:
textillis said View Post
1. Epistemological: we can't know anything
How do you know that?

Oh and welcome.

The Nizkor Project- Logical Fallacies

Atheist: n; A person to be pitied in that he is unable to believe things for which there is no evidence, and who has thus deprived himself of a convenient means of feeling superior to others.
—Chaz Bufe, The American Heretic’s Dictionary
Old 27th November 2013, 08:18 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
textillis said View Post
No; my definition of nihilism has epistemological, moral, existential and cosmic dimensions.
Basically:
1. Epistemological: we can't know anything (though science is a wan light, the finest creation of certain humans minds, and the only way forward for civilization)
2. Moral: There are no moral absolutes: if I refrain from violence when I am angry, it is out of fear of incarceration, not for love of "fellow man"
3. Existential: life is meaningless, but we can invest it with the fruit of our creativity and passion in order to create the illusion of meaningful patterns, carved out of the night of nothingness
4. Cosmic: (already dealt with, in large part, at 3.) if life has no transcendent, pre-ordained, given meaning, then life no matter where it springs up is similarly without meaning, hence, if there is a point to the universe (or multiverse, depending on how sophisticated you want to get with your cosmology) it will certainly have nothing to do with humans.

Hence, your comment, none-too-subtly condemning my position before you knew it, your comment about my not wishing any fellowship with others, was specious, thoughtless and gratuitous.
Um, your intro post did not make any of that clear. Like your jab at humanists, for example.
Old 27th November 2013, 08:21 PM
Administrator

Quote:
textillis said View Post
Basically:

So to understand your position correctly,

1) The only reason you aren't violent towards others is a fear of incarceration?

2) You have no empathy or altruism?

3) You do not agree that we are a social species that has evolved in a way with particular traits which promote co-operation?

Old 27th November 2013, 08:23 PM

Quote:
wolty said View Post
How do you know that?

Oh and welcome.
Our best method of gaining knowledge (actually, our ONLY method) is partial, ongoing and only advances by being refuted (see Quine and who is that guy who writes about paradigm-shifts?)

It is patently incomplete, partial, always has been, so how can we claim any absolute knowledge? For all we know, quantum mechanics, a breath-takingly beautifully accurate theory (the most accurate to date) will come, in time, to be see as altogether partial and, in that sense, wrong, given enough time. It has ever been thus in the history of modern science.

We have no idea whether we are in a multiverse (if so, what kind);
we might be a computer program running on some advanced civilization's computer system (gaining credibility in mainstream science);
or we might simply be one of an infinitely large set of infinitely expanding multiverses,
in which case, we will NEVER know, not in an absolute sense, any thing about anything.

... and ...

Old 27th November 2013, 08:28 PM
This space for rent
Super Moderator

How do you know you can't know anything?

The Nizkor Project- Logical Fallacies

Atheist: n; A person to be pitied in that he is unable to believe things for which there is no evidence, and who has thus deprived himself of a convenient means of feeling superior to others.
—Chaz Bufe, The American Heretic’s Dictionary