Go Back   AFA Forums > Welcome > Introduce Yourself

Introduce Yourself Please introduce yourself and share what makes you faithless or faithful.

Old 5th September 2009, 04:58 PM

Default Re: Hi from someone questioning it all!

Quote:
katie said View Post
Hi Ms Cow, thanks for the welcome. I can't wait to get stuck into the forums and find out what others have to say! Wow, just two months...I'd love to hear more about how you and others got to this point too. See you on the forums!
Katie, if you like you can read my coming out stories here

http://www.atheistfoundation.org.au/...ead.php?t=1579

and here

http://www.atheistfoundation.org.au/...ead.php?t=1615
The sciences are not sectarian. People do not persecute each other on account of disagreements in mathematics. Families are not divided about botany and astronomy does not even tend to make a man hate his father and mother. It is what people do not know that they persecute each other about. Science will bring, not a sword, but peace. Robert G. Ingersoll

Last edited by Unsacred Cow; 6th September 2009 at 12:27 AM.
Old 7th September 2009, 11:49 AM

Hello Katie, welcome.

Many people here have come here from religious backgrounds - the decision to adjust your opinion and beliefs is a personal matter and I understand that in some cases such a change of belief can be traumatic.

I was personally raised by parents who had religious educations but who personally decided their children should be raised in a secular vein - so neither myself no my two siblings attended religious schools or sat in a church or anything like that.

I never gave too much thought to the concept of God or Jesus until I learnt more about the nature of the scientific method - especially the requirements for concepts to falsifiable, reproducable, for explanations to be discarded if they no longer explain phenomena, etc.

I basically found the scientific method to be the best current way of obtaining information about the world and whilst it is possible that one could say I have "faith in science", it is a faith that is justified by daily evidence as to the mostly reliable functioning of the Universe. (Apart from Quantum Mechanics, perhaps!)
Old 8th September 2009, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Unsacred Cow said View Post
I've read through your coming out stories and a few others. I appreciate that you and others have taken the time to write them. The more I read, the more horrified I am. I'm glad you are free of this.
Repeat ad infinitum.
Old 8th September 2009, 06:52 PM

Quote:
dverbern said View Post
Hello Katie, welcome.

Many people here have come here from religious backgrounds - the decision to adjust your opinion and beliefs is a personal matter and I understand that in some cases such a change of belief can be traumatic.

I was personally raised by parents who had religious educations but who personally decided their children should be raised in a secular vein - so neither myself no my two siblings attended religious schools or sat in a church or anything like that.

I never gave too much thought to the concept of God or Jesus until I learnt more about the nature of the scientific method - especially the requirements for concepts to falsifiable, reproducable, for explanations to be discarded if they no longer explain phenomena, etc.

I basically found the scientific method to be the best current way of obtaining information about the world and whilst it is possible that one could say I have "faith in science", it is a faith that is justified by daily evidence as to the mostly reliable functioning of the Universe. (Apart from Quantum Mechanics, perhaps!)
Hi Daniel, thanks for the welcome! Thanks for letting me know how you came to this point too. I haven't had "faith" in religion for a few years but have had a very strong belief in something greater than us being out there. I now think this is just taking the same concept that any religion is based on and relabeling it. I'm finding that it's just really deeply ingrained in my thought patterns. Will take a bit of practice to weed it out. I'm ready to do it!

See you on the forums!
Repeat ad infinitum.
Old 9th September 2009, 11:21 AM

Welcome! I'm relatively new here as well, but noticed I haven't extended my greetings yet, so welcome!

I hope you enjoy it here as I am!

Old 9th September 2009, 01:06 PM

Quote:
c2009 said View Post
Welcome! I'm relatively new here as well, but noticed I haven't extended my greetings yet, so welcome!

I hope you enjoy it here as I am!
Hi c2009 - thanks for the welcome also! It's a very friendly forum. I'm really enjoying reading at the moment. Hope to contribute at some stage too.
Repeat ad infinitum.
Old 9th September 2009, 01:34 PM

Quote:
katie said View Post
Hi c2009 - thanks for the welcome also! It's a very friendly forum. I'm really enjoying reading at the moment. Hope to contribute at some stage too.
Reading, in all its forms, is a great thing.

I've recently rediscovered my love of reading, and have demolished about four books in three weeks (and not inconsiderably sized ones either).

I'm finding it friendly here also.

Old 14th September 2009, 09:04 PM
Raptured!

Yeah - hi from me too Katie. Relax into it if you can. For me it was difficult and clumsy and took a couple of years, but I have never regretted dropping my beliefs in the supernatural. Now I never have that nagging feeling of deep unease that came with having to suspend my rational disbelief all the time.

B.
Old 15th September 2009, 09:14 AM

Remember - being Agnostic is like being half pregnant.
Old 15th September 2009, 07:05 PM
-

Quote:
The Irreverent Mr Black said View Post
Like the blokes in Life Of Brian said, we're all individuals.
YES! WE ARE ALL INDIVIDUALS!