Go Back   AFA Forums > Welcome > Introduce Yourself

Introduce Yourself Please introduce yourself and share what makes you faithless or faithful.

Old 5th September 2009, 08:17 AM
This space for rent
Super Moderator

Default Re: Hi from someone questioning it all!

Quote:
Kristy said View Post
Welcome Katie! May I suggest that you start with some light reading. Sam Harris' Letter to a Christian Nation is a very small, easy to read book that can be read in just one or two sittings. It puts forward some powerful arguments for atheism in the form of a letter to the many Christians who attacked him for his book The End of Faith. I found The End of Faith a bit confronting, but Letter to a Christian Nation really helped to consolidate my feelings about atheism.

If that whets your appetite for more, I'd suggest moving on to Richard Dawkins' The God Delusion. It's more in depth, and does contain a bit of science, but it's entertaining and easy to read and even very funny in parts.

Of course, you don't have to agree with everything Harris or Dawkins says to be an atheist. That's the whole point. You read the books and you get to make up your own mind.

I hope you'll enjoy being here.

Kris
Agree about Letter to a christian nation. A really insightful book. It means alot to me.
Greetings Welcome and so on. Hope you enjoy yourself here.

The Nizkor Project- Logical Fallacies

Atheist: n; A person to be pitied in that he is unable to believe things for which there is no evidence, and who has thus deprived himself of a convenient means of feeling superior to others.
—Chaz Bufe, The American Heretic’s Dictionary
Old 5th September 2009, 10:11 AM
Angel ~ duties: Mod

The transition from belief to non-belief can be a bit traumatic at first, because it changes everything. But after a while, it becomes a relief. I could never turn back now. For me, this is sanity.

I wish you the best as you come to terms with everything you know, and everything you thought you knew. People are very supportive here.
Old 5th September 2009, 11:28 AM
Raptured!

Welllllllll hi Katie.

Keep in mind that being an atheist does not necessarily mean you think it's 100% impossible no form of God exists. Atheism simply means "The belief there is no God" the key word being "belief". You'll find a large portion of people here are "agnostic atheists" though the term is generally rejected given it is still, by definition, atheism.

Personally, my view is that I believe God does not exist though I acknowledge the possibility I could be wrong, no matter how small that possibility is.

So yes, welcome to the site, you'll find a lot of very interesting people and very diverse opinions on all sorts of topics.

This community is also refreshingly small, which personally is one of my favorite things about it. You can quickly get a good feel for people and their opinions instead of just being bombarded with hundreds of people at any given point like most forums I've been to.
Old 5th September 2009, 12:39 PM
Ehh?

Quote:
secular swarm said View Post
Keep in mind that being an atheist does not necessarily mean you think it's 100% impossible no form of God exists. Atheism simply means "The belief there is no God" the key word being "belief". You'll find a large portion of people here are "agnostic atheists" though the term is generally rejected given it is still, by definition, atheism.

Personally, my view is that I believe God does not exist though I acknowledge the possibility I could be wrong, no matter how small that possibility is.
It is a questionable statement when you use the word belief, whether it is used in a definition or not. That definition may not suit everyone exactly.

I don't know why I am 'made' (for lack of a better word) to feel that I need to believe he doesn't exist. I have never had any reason to feel that there is any truth in it so I don't need to justify a stance to back myself. The statement "The belief there is no God" implies there is a very slim chance God exists just by using the word.

If I said "I know he doesn't exist" I would be implying that I have some form of fact to present, which I do not. Which is what most theists seem to fall over on when they try to make the "I know he exists" statement wash... well damn well prove it!

For me, god does not exist. As black and white as that comes.

If I must use the word belief in any context it is that I have a disbelief system in place if you like.
Old 5th September 2009, 03:21 PM

Hi Ms Cow, thanks for the welcome. I can't wait to get stuck into the forums and find out what others have to say! Wow, just two months...I'd love to hear more about how you and others got to this point too. See you on the forums!
Repeat ad infinitum.
Old 5th September 2009, 03:25 PM

Thanks for the welcome and reference Kris. I'll check it out. I'm keen to get on to The God Delusion too. I saw a very funny comedy sketch recently by Marcus Brigstoke (?) which some say was based on that book. I'm sure I'll enjoy being here - so far so good! It's so refreshing to hear/read things like "you get to make up your own mind".
Repeat ad infinitum.
Old 5th September 2009, 03:26 PM

Hi Wolty, thanks for the welcome!
Repeat ad infinitum.
Old 5th September 2009, 03:32 PM

Thanks Protium! Heh, there is definitely visible proof of your beard of understanding
Repeat ad infinitum.
Old 5th September 2009, 03:38 PM

Quote:
atheist_angel said View Post
The transition from belief to non-belief can be a bit traumatic at first, because it changes everything. But after a while, it becomes a relief. I could never turn back now. For me, this is sanity.

I wish you the best as you come to terms with everything you know, and everything you thought you knew. People are very supportive here.
Thanks to you too atheist angel. You're right that it changes everything and is a bit traumatic. I have a sense of loss, but also a sense of excitement mixed in with a feeling that I've been part of a big joke (that part is uncomfortable). I'm looking forward to the relief!

It will be great to be able to give and receive support to others in the forum too.
Repeat ad infinitum.
Old 5th September 2009, 03:46 PM

Quote:
secular swarm said View Post
Welllllllll hi Katie.

So yes, welcome to the site, you'll find a lot of very interesting people and very diverse opinions on all sorts of topics.

This community is also refreshingly small, which personally is one of my favorite things about it. You can quickly get a good feel for people and their opinions instead of just being bombarded with hundreds of people at any given point like most forums I've been to.
Thanks secular swarm! I think that agnostic atheist sits the best with me too (at this point). I'm looking forward to getting to know the community. It will be great to have/read discussions on various topics and issues.

Great website btw! Love the badges and featured vids.
Repeat ad infinitum.