Go Back   AFA Forums > Welcome > Introduce Yourself

Introduce Yourself Please introduce yourself and share what makes you faithless or faithful.

Old 23rd March 2009, 07:07 PM

Default Re: Welcome from AFA president

Hello David et al,

I was impressed by your positive outlook regarding the atheist movement when we met at the AGM last week. I have, for some time, felt a certain level of despair thinking I was virtually alone in a world of irrational believers. Most of whom seem to rely on all kinds of hocus pocus to make sense of their worlds.

Obama's book: "Audacity of Hope" gives me some hope that democratic parliaments may yet purge themselves of elected members who prefer to talk to the sky rather than their constituents. I would be interested to hear from other forum members who have read Obama's book - particularly his chapter on "Faith". He treads carefully, but he is clearly no believer. He purports to be a Christian, however he uses the G word sparingly (for an American at least). Is he really an atheist dressed up as an agnostic?

I would like to know about activities of the AFA relating to topics such as: opposition to the death penalty - stem cell research - access to safe pregnancy terminations - contraception etc. Am I right to assume that most members of the AFA are likely agree, or hold similar view about these issues?

Thanks,
David
Old 23rd March 2009, 07:48 PM
AFA Life Member - I see ...

Hello Prendo, (David)

A very warm welcome to you and I am pleased you have at last found likeminded individuals to keep the insanity bugs at bay. We are out here and elsewhere on the globe in considerable numbers. No doubt, my speech to the AGM, revolving around Barack Obama has led you to this wonderful Forum.

It is not totally obvious to the world yet, that Barack with his secular views of existence offers possibly the only hope for survival of civilisation with regard to the many fronts eating at the heals of humanity. I have not read the book you mentioned but as I stated in my talk, it would be no surprise to find he is a nominal Christian.

I can assure you, the issues mentioned and more are policies of the AFA. There may be some members with minor variant views on these matters but most are big enough in mental attitude to accommodate our stance.

As you are pleased to find us, we likewise are pleased to have made your acquaintance. I hope and I know our mutual association will benefit each other and the wider community.

Welcome on board for a ride of the life in the most interesting times the planet has ever witnessed.

David
Old 23rd March 2009, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Prendo said View Post
Hello David et al,

Obama's book: "Audacity of Hope" gives me some hope that democratic parliaments may yet purge themselves of elected members who prefer to talk to the sky rather than their constituents. I would be interested to hear from other forum members who have read Obama's book - particularly his chapter on "Faith". He treads carefully, but he is clearly no believer. He purports to be a Christian, however he uses the G word sparingly (for an American at least). Is he really an atheist dressed up as an agnostic?
He was a member of the Trinity United Church of Christ but mostly due to his work with the black community, not of faith. He has since left the church but still mentions faith and god in some of his speeches, and I think it's mostly to do with election votes and appeasing the public who do believe. Both sides of the argument will claim him to be either atheist or a believer but he has never really said what he is and I don't think he will, at least not while he is in office. Again, there is a public perception to uphold and unfortunately that's the reality of it. But I think we can at least take to heart in the fact that he won't be basing political decisions on religious crusades like bush did.
I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death - George Carlin (R.I.P.)
Old 6th April 2009, 11:12 PM

I was furious at the knock back for advertising opposing views to religion on buses, re the "sleep in on Sunday" and wrote to several newspapers for a say in the matter, but none were published.
A suggestion, is it possible to carry our own slogan, and have printed on the front and back of T shirts with a message containing John Lennon's face and the words, "Imagine no religion" not very confrontational, but a start and one could possibly win over the younger members of society
Jim Williams
Old 12th May 2009, 02:38 PM
AFA Member

Hi there Mr. President! Thankyou for your warm welcome to us newbies.

I am now forever grateful to AFA for giving me another link in my 'favourites' where I can visit and get relief from the lovely people I know who insist on believing in fairies at the bottom of the garden.

Cheers to all and I look forward to learning more! Keep up the good word...I mean work!

Lizzy
Old 6th June 2009, 05:11 PM

Hi Everyone! I'm Louise, 21, female from Tasmania. I'm really excited I found these message boards. For about the last year (since I read the God Delusion) I've really defined myself with atheism and have been desperate to meet other people who think the same way. Unfortunately Tasmania is a bit lacking in people who think for themselves (I'm probably looking in the wrong place) but yay for the internet!!
Old 6th June 2009, 06:50 PM
Ehh?

Welcome
Old 8th June 2009, 04:28 PM
AFA Member

Hi and welcome Louise

Hope you enjoy your time here....but be warned!

You may find yourself getting so engrosed you lose all concept of time!

Lizzy
Old 23rd June 2009, 05:03 PM

Quote:
David Nicholls said View Post
Hello everyone,

Welcome to the AFA forum. The intention is that this will be a place of free expression on any topic. The Forum Administrators have a great deal of experience allowing for just and fair treatment in adjudication on contentious issues. They will in turn be subject to democratic rule between themselves. My position of president will be one of veto when a resolution is not achievable amongst the moderators. I promise not to abuse this and please write to me through the AFA web site with any complaints.

Protium has worked very hard at getting the Forum up and running and the AFA is indebted to him. He is also one of the on-hand moderators.

I wish everyone a great time with the Forum and know it will be a big hit.

Good luck to it and all who sail in it.

David

David Nicholls
President
Atheist Foundation of Australia Inc
Ahoy David! Can I be a moderator too?

[sound of crickets chirping]

Just kidding ;-)

"He's NOT the Messiah! He's a very naughty boy!"

"Jesus died for your sins. I commit them so his martyrdom isn't meaningless."
from Mister Pervert's Book of Proverbial Stuff
Old 24th June 2009, 10:15 AM
SIR Vacuous cunt
Administrator

Quote:
LapsedAtheist said View Post
Ahoy David! Can I be a moderator too?

[sound of crickets chirping]

Just kidding ;-)
Why not join AFA?

Otherwise you are just one of the crickets chirping :P

(delta p)*(delta q) >= h/(4*pi) ----- An explanation of Logical Fallacies : http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies ----- ferox deo vacuus vinco ----- How do I post video etc here?