Go Back   AFA Forums > Welcome > Introduce Yourself

Introduce Yourself Please introduce yourself and share what makes you faithless or faithful.

Old 23rd June 2012, 10:34 PM

Default Atheism and science and humour

Hi everyone. I'm 25 and from Perth. I've always been more fascinated by science than stories, but I did go through a very strong New Age phase until university when I finally thought to call my self an Atheist with a capital A. As atheism is a negative position, my positive position is Secular Humanism. Oddly enough, I came to a similar conclusion about forcing a particular worldview on a child as Dawkins when I was in high school long before I've actually read or heard anything by Dawkins or any known atheist.

I like jokes and the power of jokes to make a strong point. Whilst videos of Dawkins and Hitchens and Harris and Carlin do provide humour value, "atheist jokes" tend not to be imaginative, at least, not to a standup comedy nerd like myself. Anyway, here's a list of glib remarks which I'm mostly sure are original in expression if not in content:

"I found Pascal's pager. I might keep it anyway, since chances are, something good might come of it."

"The religious respect NOMA until they perceive an advantage. NOMA is the theological equivalent of the United Nations."

"The first Cosmological Argument: Adam: I'm on top! Lilith: No, I'M on top!"

"To all those who believe in telekinesis: suck my ____."

"Darwin came up with the wacky theory of natural selection by snorting a few lines of independent evidence."

"I am fed up with all these opinion pieces from Fox news about the Christian war on paganism during the Winter/Summer Solstice.

"Hitchens: If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can imagine."

"People don't like political correctness because they want to call a spaz a spaz."

"Pope John Paul II's real surname was Lennon, but the Catholic Church didn't want to reveal he's bigger than Jesus."

"Do flat earthers deny evidence of global warming?"

"They say Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve, but remember, to make Eve, God had to bone Adam, which was so gay."

"The first particle accelerator experiment was when Adam ate of the tree knowledge - the Fall of Adam, otherwise known as an Adam smasher."

"Christians claim evidence for the Flood, but the Chinese claim to have stopped a Flood. Since we're not under water, I know who to believe."

"Twelve signs that you're an idiot: Aries, Taurus, Gemini, Cancer, Leo, Virgo, Libra, Scorpio, Sagittarius, Capricorn, Aquarius, Pisces."

"Science can't know everything, what with their numbers and logic. Now let's all do Numerology because it makes sense."

"I have a PhD in billboard removal, otherwise known as "Intelligent De-sign"."

"I went to the Discovery Institute, but all I got was this lousy theory."

"Atheists do believe in the non-existent: future generations, and our duty to them. So there goes THAT argument religions like to use..."

"The biggest argument against the myth that the market will solve problems is the fact that markets are willing to do business in the PRC."

"Let's try to replace the phrase "hit the nail on the head" and get into common parlance "hit the nail in the cross"."

"It turns out that the polar ice caps are not actually shrinking. They're just getting further away."

""The Wizard of Oz" is obviously Big Oil propaganda against AGW. Dorothy (America) wins against the Witch (Ice caps) by melting her."

""Russell's Pot" is an argument that, having smoked enough weed, you see tea dispensers flying around the Earth."

"Scientific theories are overturned ALL THE TIME. Unless a preliminary result proves my fringe theory. Then it will never change!"

"A theology Phd is like a Twilight Phd. You're good at apologising for why Edward is not abusive but you're still a useless human being defending a stupid book with a stupid story and stupid characters."

"Intuition is another name for confirmation bias."

"The Buddha was the first emo. He was a prince and he was rich, but whined on and on about suffering."

"An alternative title for "The Passion of the Christ" is "Desperate Times Calls for Desperate Messiahs"."

"The problem with the "free will" explanation of question of evil is that a "choice" between two types of torture is no choice at all."

"I have a Holy document sender. It is my Deus Fax Machina."

"I want to be a philosopher so bad no matter how badly I fail. I'll resist the temptation of nihilism. I don't know the meaning of Kant."

"Prophet Complex: a distinct lack of optimism about being the saviour, resigning themselves to second place as the saviour's predictor."
Old 23rd June 2012, 10:39 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Atheism and science and humour

Hi, King Yan Kwan.

This is a message sent to all who find their way to these forums.

We like people, and we like facts too!

We're friendly but we're skeptical, and if somebody calls for proof, it's not an accusation. Only the strong ideas thrive here: we try to respect people. (We do not tolerate personal abuse.)

You may already have visited these other handy places:
* New Member Information
* Welcome from AFA president
* For those interested in learning, I recommend the Atheism Resource Thread maintained by Fearless.
* And a quick look at our reserved spot for belief-based discussion, Fantasy Island, includes The Great Big List, a sort-of "things we've seen before" for those of faith, and general rules of argument for the forum.

If you've got questions, please ask. Moderators have red name tags, but many of our friendly people may have the answers you need.

Enjoy the forums. We hope to see plenty from you in discussions.

Have fun.
Old 23rd June 2012, 10:56 PM
Like a supermod without the lycra

Hi King
Welcome aboard. Humour always greatly appreciated.

)
Old 23rd June 2012, 11:00 PM
The Rickest Rick

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Quote:
King Yan Kwan said View Post
As atheism is a negative position, my positive position is Secular Humanism.
I was wondering if you could clarify why you believe atheism is a negative position?
[odd]The immenseness of the universe - and Jesus sitting on the outside worried whether a species, that happens to be alive during a blip on the timeline of existence, is masterbating or not. Priceless.
[Goldenmane]To put it another way: I can be charitable without dogma, and if you preach at me as a condition for accepting your help, then you can fuck off.

Theists! Don't forget to read the Great Big List before posting.
Goldenmane’s Third Rule of Public Discourse
Goldenmane's Exposition On Rule Fucking Three
Old 23rd June 2012, 11:08 PM

Quote:
rayne said View Post
I was wondering if you could clarify why you believe atheism is a negative position?
Well, atheism is a statement of what you don't believe. I don't mean "negative" in the bad sense. Christopher Hitchens does a slightly better job of explaining why atheism is a negative position.

Atheism also doesn't tell you how we might want the world/society to be, so in my case, I decided Secular Humanism paints the picture of what I think the world should be. Again, in this case, negative means "what isn't", while positive is "what is".
Old 23rd June 2012, 11:36 PM
Wonder if the beer tastes as good?
Super Moderator

Hi KYK, welcome to the forum, hope you enjoy your participation.
Quote:
Well, atheism is a statement of what you don't believe. I don't mean "negative" in the bad sense. Christopher Hitchens does a slightly better job of explaining why atheism is a negative position.

Atheism also doesn't tell you how we might want the world/society to be, so in my case, I decided Secular Humanism paints the picture of what I think the world should be. Again, in this case, negative means "what isn't", while positive is "what is".
IIRC, Dan Barker also mentioned something in Godless about a position of atheism allowing "clearing of ones' mind" of religious superstitions, fear, dogma and guilt. This subsequently assists adoption of an outlook like secular humanism. FWIW, I can certainly understand this, and if I may paraphrase, your post appears to characterise atheism as "negative" largely in the sense that it provides no prescriptive doctrines or philosophy, of itself - is that reading accurate?

I guess I phrase it a little differently - methinks "I don't believe in" tends towards "I believe [exists] not", thus potentially an ontological claim to be defended, IMO. It's one reason why I'm somewhat partial to the "a lack of belief in gods" approach.

I acknowledge that it's semantic, to a degree. Just a different emphasis. I will also add the AFA's Working Definition for consideration, you may find it informs your views:
Quote:
AFA definition said
Atheism is the acceptance that there is no credible scientific or factually reliable evidence for the existence of a god, gods or the supernatural.
Looking forward to seeing you in discussions, as you get a feel for our little corner of the interwebz.

Last edited by Logic please; 23rd June 2012 at 11:40 PM. Reason: expanded point
Old 23rd June 2012, 11:58 PM

The problem with that working definition is that it discounts atheists in history who became so without arguing from the lack of credible scientific evidence.

As I understand it "atheism" is Greek for "without belief" or something like that. I know you can get a positive form of atheism, but that of course is a form of atheism that is allowed by the larger "without belief" umbrella.
Old 24th June 2012, 12:10 AM

And how does it take away from the fact that atheism is still an inherently negative position even given the working definition of this forum? What are you even trying to argue?

I'm sure there's a thread here, but I wasn't the one who won't let go that someone just has a different understanding of the definition of "atheism". I myself have heard or read more than once from Hitchens and I think Dawkins that atheism is essentially a negative position so I think I'm in good company.

At the end of the day, it was a throw away sentence.
Old 24th June 2012, 12:11 AM
Wonder if the beer tastes as good?
Super Moderator

Quote:
The problem with that working definition is that it discounts atheists in history who became so without arguing from the lack of credible scientific evidence.
As Mr B has suggested looking at past threads on this matter, I will leave off addressing this, for the moment.
Quote:
As I understand it "atheism" is Greek for "without belief" or something like that. I know you can get a positive form of atheism, but that of course is a form of atheism that is allowed by the larger "without belief" umbrella.
"Without gods", from the Greek:
Quote:
OED said
1570s, from Fr. athéiste (16c.), from Gk. atheos "without god, denying the gods; abandoned of the gods; godless, ungodly," from a- "without" + theos "a god" (see Thea).
Old 24th June 2012, 12:16 AM

Thank you.

All I said was atheism is a negative position. It's not really a statement about the definition of atheism but about the nature of the position, whatever the definition.