Go Back   AFA Forums > Welcome > Introduce Yourself

Introduce Yourself Please introduce yourself and share what makes you faithless or faithful.

Old 21st June 2012, 05:52 PM
Raptured!

Default interested

I am curious to understand what atheists believe. Whether its just a group that hates religious groups or if you actually have a belief system that you can trust in?
Old 21st June 2012, 05:57 PM
Cuss-tard

Quote:
fudge said View Post
I am curious to understand what atheists believe. Whether its just a group that hates religious groups or if you actually have a belief system that you can trust in?
Interesting.

Neither, would be my answer.

@Goldenmane3

Old 21st June 2012, 06:08 PM
Ehh?

Default Re: interested

Quote:
fudge said View Post
Hi Fudge,

I don't hate religious groups or religious people, I don't like how many aspects of religion impact on society and much of the hypocrisy you often find in religion and with so many people who consider themselves religious.

I find more contempt from religious to non religious than the other way around if truth be known.

I don't have a belief system apart from maybe that you cease to exist when you're dead, so make the most of what life you have.

Can I ask

What you believe?
What you think we believe?
and what you believe atheism is?

Cheers.
Old 21st June 2012, 06:11 PM
This space for rent
Super Moderator

Quote:
fudge said View Post
I am curious to understand what atheists believe.
Evidence.

Quote:
Whether its just a group that hates religious groups or if you actually have a belief system that you can trust in?
Um, that's a tough one.
Let's see, science is verifiable, testable, observable, falsifiable and evidence based. It also doesn't have a priori assumptions built in.

Is there another way of knowing?

The Nizkor Project- Logical Fallacies

Atheist: n; A person to be pitied in that he is unable to believe things for which there is no evidence, and who has thus deprived himself of a convenient means of feeling superior to others.
—Chaz Bufe, The American Heretic’s Dictionary
Old 21st June 2012, 06:23 PM

Quote:
fudge said View Post
Hi Fudge. Welcome to the forum. To be an atheist simply means you do not believe in a supernatural deity. The antithesis of this would be a theist. It is not a belief system because all being atheist implies is that you don't believe in a deity.

As for hating religious groups, I personally don't hate religious groups at all. I might some of the ideas they have though, for example the Catholic church's protection of pedophiles across the world of their commitment to preventing people from using contraception in sub-saharan Africa where wearing a simple rubber sheath could be the difference between life and death for millions of people.
Old 21st June 2012, 06:36 PM
There will be cheese

Welcome to the forums Fudge.

Another misconception is that atheists hate god(s). We don't, we can't hate something that we do not believe exists. I can't speak for other atheists, but personally I don't hate fairies, goblins, unicorns, Harry Porter et al for the same reason.

_____

If we go back to the beginnings of things, we shall always find that ignorance and fear created the gods; that imagination, rapture and deception embellished them; that weakness worships them; that custom spares them; and that tyranny favours them in order to profit from the blindness of men. Baron d'Holbach
Old 21st June 2012, 06:43 PM
Omu'sata

Gudday Fudge,

Like the others have said, I don't hate religion, or gods.

I don't even hate the believers that say some rather nasty things about atheists and other groups in our community, in the name of their religion.

What makes you think that atheists do hate religion?
Old 21st June 2012, 06:54 PM
Sorry Thor, Tesla closed your gap

G'day fudge and welcome to the forum.

My answers would be no and no, cheers.
Old 21st June 2012, 06:59 PM
Extant

Quote:
fudge said View Post
What do you mean by "a belief system you can trust in", fudge?

You may find you have put the trust before the data.
Old 21st June 2012, 07:10 PM
Like a supermod without the lycra

Quote:
fudge said View Post
Where does the idea that "we" (if there is a collective "we" when talking about a group of people where the only common theme is a lack of belief) hate anyone or anything?

Fudged that one I think!