Go Back   AFA Forums > Welcome > Introduce Yourself

Introduce Yourself Please introduce yourself and share what makes you faithless or faithful.

Old 14th January 2009, 12:58 AM

Smile Re: Hi I am new and have experienced many religions

Quote:
Vonnie said View Post
I've enjoyed your posts on your experience with the Scientolobotomists and Buddhists. Very interesting!

And I thought Morons were weird (in hindsight...), with their "magic undies" and Heavenly Mother (Heavenly Father's (i.e. God) wife!

Thanks for sharing!

Vonnie
nps. When you think of all the cults that are around, it pays to share ones experiences with others. My next experience/s will refer to Goenka Vipassana. The Great S N Goenka who maybe shhhh the next Buddha! I will give this movement credit for actually being able to make people feel better (although not reliably). I will cover my experiences of them from many years ago until just two years ago. There is far more to recount with them than there was with Scientolobotomy( only 3 months experience with Scienwhatitsname). Vipassana has been a great way to unwind so I will be easier on the asses I have met at the Vipassana centre...no I won't. I will be the same mean but honest bastard that I have been with the other movements. I admit that I met some lovely people there but they were few and far between. By that I refer to serious meditators who come back after one 10 day course. I will tell you about the beaurocracy of the centres and the blind faith and robotic establishment. We are humans with feelings and feelings are the focus of Vipassana. Goenka might say that feelings reflect human defilements(sin) and those feelings need to be observed so that they will supposedly pass away and make everyone who attends the centre such lovely dovely people. Um ..it doesn't work and I will explain why. Goenka has people running up and down, sideways trying to find their path to nirvana(nibana). This is all well, yet I will cover the insincerity of some individuals who make the whole setup look a total sham. On the positive side, I will talk about the really nice people who I met there and what I think may be behind the mysterious curtain of Metta. Is it really human compassion? If it is, it certainly doesn't last very long. Stay tuned and may Goenka and Bhudda forgive me so that I don't become an insect or demon in the next life. See, I have been thoroughly brain washed. I will never mention names of people involved apart from Goenka himself. Actually, I think we should accept our own responsibility for our own gulliblity rather than blaming a particular cult. That is my opinion. C U then

Last edited by yahpete; 14th January 2009 at 01:11 AM.
Old 14th January 2009, 11:39 AM

Default Re: Hi I am new and have experienced many religions

Quote:
yahpete said View Post
nps.Actually, I think we should accept our own responsibility for our own gulliblity rather than blaming a particular cult. That is my opinion. C U then
Yes yes yes, I agree wholeheartedly that why I struggle with censorship and denying religious freedom. But I have an issue with the children...what do we do? I feel it is child abuse and my heart aches for them.
Old 14th January 2009, 11:44 AM

Quote:
yahpete said View Post
My older sibling is probably a member of one of them.He had this habit of sending postcards with buddhas on them to his long lost relatives and being 'into' those big weird eyes that are sometimes painted on the sides of Indian or Nepalese dingys.
I have a friend that loves to send tacky NT postcards of women with those 'big weird boobs'. I think he is in to a slightly different type of worship.
Old 15th January 2009, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Duffy said View Post
Yes yes yes, I agree wholeheartedly that why I struggle with censorship and denying religious freedom. But I have an issue with the children...what do we do? I feel it is child abuse and my heart aches for them.
I agree. As the old saying goes 'leaves do not fall far from the tree'.
Old 15th January 2009, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Duffy said View Post
I have a friend that loves to send tacky NT postcards of women with those 'big weird boobs'. I think he is in to a slightly different type of worship.
Ausse big weird boobs or foreign ones?....not that it matters but just wondering.
Old 15th January 2009, 01:21 AM

Quote:
yahpete said View Post
Ausse big weird boobs or foreign ones?....not that it matters but just wondering.

5 characters? ok one two three four five
Old 15th January 2009, 11:04 AM

Quote:
yahpete said View Post
NT = Northern Territory. I assume they are local girls. They are a breed of their own up there. Know how to have a good time which makes you wonder if the cults make any headway up there. Anyone know?
Old 15th January 2009, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Protium said View Post
Isn't the whacaloon Ken Ham from dem parts?
Oh that Ken Ham (love the name) and that ridiculous creation museum based on intellectual design. I looked on his bio and couldn't see if he's a Darwinian (comes from Darwin NT but the irony is not lost)

Love the idea of the Answers Academy, "a 13-week Sunday school curriculum written to help participants answer the questions our Western culture is asking about the authority and accuracy of the Bible and the relevance of Genesis"

Join God's Army NOW and help us kill logic!