Go Back   AFA Forums > Welcome > Introduce Yourself

Introduce Yourself Please introduce yourself and share what makes you faithless or faithful.

Old 18th October 2010, 02:21 PM

Default Re: goli

Quote:
The Irreverent Mr Black said View Post
I certainly hope the keen interest hasn't scared him off.

Speak for yourself.
Old 18th October 2010, 03:02 PM
Ehh?

Quote:
Threat said View Post
Hi Goli. Hope you come back? Would be interesting to hear some more from you??? Goli?
Why assume he has gone? It is extremely common that we wait a week or two before believers return to find their threads have been cooking away. Pretty normal for a fast paced forum.

The thread is hardly threatening enough to run away from. People just clearing up a few misconceptions and a few questions thrown in for for good measure. He may have taken a little bit to much of a bite first up but he is certainly welcome to respond when he is ready.
Old 18th October 2010, 03:07 PM
-

Exclamation Re: goli

Patience people. patience. It turns out his last post was yesterday at 0:02 - approximately 27 hours ago.
He's probably doing some catch-up regarding sleep or something. Not everybody is online 24/7 now.

Last edited by Sir Patrick Crocodile; 18th October 2010 at 03:09 PM.
Old 20th October 2010, 09:25 PM
Religion or Reality, choose...

Quote:
Crocodile said View Post
Not everybody is online 24/7 now.
evidence?

Burden of proof is the obligation on somebody presenting a claim to provide evidence to support its truth (a warrant). Once evidence has been presented, it is up to any opposing "side" to show the evidence presented is not adequate. If claims were accepted without warrants, then every claim could simultaneously be claimed to be true.

History isn't written by the victors. It's written by the people with the time machines.
Old 21st October 2010, 05:38 AM
fiesty red-head

Quote:
Crocodile said View Post
If your god asked you to kill someone, would you do it? Simple YES or NO is all that is needed.
I find that to be a very interesting question. Though limiting it to YES or NO hhmmmm. Seems to me the WHY behind the answer would be more revealing than the actual answer itself. Entry level morality (that isn't meant as a dig AT ALL) deals with the black and the white but it's how we handle the grey that is really interesting and even more revealing.

Heck, even atheists can take a crack at answering this one.

As an atheist, it would have to take incredible proof for me to believe in a god. And even more proof for me to want to FOLLOW that god. For example. If the Abrahamic god made himself manifest before me and I truly believe he existed, I'd have to start a holy war against him because THAT is one evil mother fucker. *snerk* BWAHAHAHAHA *sing-song* God fucked his mother! God fucked his mother! God fucked his mother! *cough*

Anyway. Should a god, the god, my god, whatever, convince me of his existence AND his worth of being my personal god someone I would consider to be a superior supreme being whom I worshipped and ask me to kill someone, of course I would. Because the only way I would worship something or someone is if he was superior to me in every respect including morally. That person he wanted offed must be really evil.

HOWEVER. I would have concerns that would need to be addressed. Is the person worthy of death? Come to think of it, why do *I* have to do the killing? Why can't the all knowing all supreme being do it himself? Why, if his world is perfect, which it isn't, would this evil person even exist? And why is it suddenly up to me to be dealing death and judgment????

Damnit. I can't maintain a belief in a supreme being even in a hypothetical situation.

Last edited by Fiery; 21st October 2010 at 05:41 AM. Reason: better clip
Old 21st October 2010, 07:38 AM

Quote:

Heck, even atheists can take a crack at answering this one.
Oh I say, that's very decent of you.

Would I kill someone if my god told me to?

ABSOLUTELY!Because if I didn't the unspeakable arsehole would almost certainly get some one to kill ME!

Also,in such a case I would be quite sure I was committing a moral act.,because God said so.Human sacrifice is invariably seen as not only a moral but a sacred act by participants,often including the victim.

The question is a fair one:Christianity is replete with moral absolutes.Croc asks the question often.So far not one Christian has answered. They invariably miss the point and get all defensive.

My question:If good people go to heaven, why isn't OK to euthanise grandpa?

Last edited by Seamus; 21st October 2010 at 07:50 AM.
Old 21st October 2010, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crocodile
If your god asked you to kill someone, would you do it? Simple YES or NO is all that is needed.
Another person put this question to a theist in a discussion I was In where US fundies where asking us where we atheist got our morals from
I had another question for one of the main protagonists " If your god fearing child burst into your room with an axe and declared it was gods wish to kill you would you just sit back and say oh well if it's gods wish go ahead,
or would you think they where a bit touched in the head"
I think I just received an personal attack in the vein of how sorry he was for me not being able to receive the holy spirit and he would not want to live in my cold cruel world anyway. Then the mods deleted the thread
(they usually denigrate into mudslinging)
Old 21st October 2010, 08:44 AM
fiesty red-head

@ Mr. Black. Dang I wish that pic had a sound wav file. Just a quick. BrraaaAAAaaccckkkkKKK and then perhaps a *splat* sound.
Old 21st October 2010, 09:46 AM
-

Quote:
Fiery said View Post
I find that to be a very interesting question. Though limiting it to YES or NO hhmmmm. Seems to me the WHY behind the answer would be more revealing than the actual answer itself. Entry level morality (that isn't meant as a dig AT ALL) deals with the black and the white but it's how we handle the grey that is really interesting and even more revealing.
<+>
The reason the question is limited to YES/NO is because it is a YES/NO question.

The issue I've had with people answering it is that there's all this waffle in their answer. That is not even close to answering the questoin.
  1. If
  2. your god
  3. asked you to kill someone
  4. would you?

We dissect that:
  1. "If" - meaning "Let's just say that"
  2. "your god" - the god of the religion of the target theist
  3. "asked you to kill someone" - the action that the god is asking (assumed) in the question
  4. "would you?" - would you do it (this is the "YES/NO" qualifier and this is what makes the question the "YES/NO" type)
Hope this helps.

Quote:
Fiery said View Post
@ Mr. Black. Dang I wish that pic had a sound wav file. Just a quick. BrraaaAAAaaccckkkkKKK and then perhaps a *splat* sound.
Maybe some sort of 1337 m00?
Old 21st October 2010, 09:51 AM
fiesty red-head

Quote:
Crocodile said View Post
The reason the question is limited to YES/NO is because it is a YES/NO question.

The issue I've had with people answering it is that there's all this waffle in their answer. That is not even close to answering the questoin.
  1. If
  2. your god
  3. asked you to kill someone
  4. would you?

We dissect that:
  1. "If" - meaning "Let's just say that"
  2. "your god" - the god of the religion of the target theist
  3. "asked you to kill someone" - the action that the god is asking (assumed) in the question
  4. "would you?" - would you do it (this is the "YES/NO" qualifier and this is what makes the question the "YES/NO" type)
Hope this helps.
Yep, I get where you are going with it, and why. Thanks for the detailed expo!!!