Go Back   AFA Forums > Atheism > Call to action

Call to action Call out to atheist activism on polls, news articles, petitions or other injustice. Let everyone know we have a voice.

Old 23rd December 2017, 09:00 PM
Cuss-tard

Default Re: Religious Freedom review

Open letter to ScoMo, once more on my farcebork:

Quote:
Dear ScoMo,

I have taken note of your public determination to stand up to those who mock religion, and I thank you from the heart of my bottom. It is the greatest Xmas present you could have given us, the gift of overwheening pomposity to be skewered like a prawn at a barbie.

We all know that you're championing "religion" as a broad category only because there aren't enough of your particular version of it to render you in the majority. We're keenly aware that if you had the numbers, you'd have cunts like me up against the wall. But you can't, because the lies and the bullshit and the fantasy are fucking failing, being dropped by the wayside as more and more people realise how bloody ridiculous it is to think that a Universe that looks exactly as if it was 14 billion years old and contains millions of galaxies was made by a magical sky-wizard who cares deeply about who they rub uglies with and will punish them for doing it wrong.

I don't know what crew you run with, mate, and in all honesty I don't give a shit. I mean, you've got the Catholic Church, that preaches poverty and chastity whilst being the richest pedophile ring in history. you've got the Anglicans, which only exist because Henry didn't put up with the Pope telling him who he could fuck. You've got the Uniting Church, who haven't done any Uniting in the last 30+ years, and have in fact done some dividing because some of them disagree about exactly what rules the fucking celestial overlord of all creation actually *really really meant*. You've got the Dominionists, who aren't a congregation per se but are a bunch of monkeys who *desperately want Armageddon to happen*, so they're doing all they can to bring it about.

There are currently, in the present moment, humans with access to the Internet and thus most of the knowledge, who are celebrating Donald Trump as the Elect of God - this being Donald "Grab 'em By The Pussy" Trump, who couldn't lie straight in bed - because they think he's going to bring about the End of Days.

Now, I'm mentally ill. I have chronic depression. I make no secret of this, as I don't consider it something to be ashamed of, and I'm receiving appropriate medical treatment for it. Occasionally, when I don't take my meds and it all becomes too much, I want to end it all. (And then I take my meds and speak to the right people and get back on track). But I don't want to end it all for *everyone*! Do you have the slightest fucking idea how fucking insane religion looks to those of us who aren't under its spell?

ScoMo, you're just another fucking monkey like the rest of us, and you believe some very silly things, and as long as that's the case cunts like me are going to mock those things. And as long as you engage in performative effrontery, we're gonna mock that too, because puffery deserves to be punctured. It makes a farty noise as it deflates.

@Goldenmane3

Thank The Irreverent Mr Black, Strato, SEG thanked this post
Laugh at The Irreverent Mr Black, Strato, Voltairine laughed at this post
Old 24th December 2017, 08:15 AM
AFA Member

Quote:
The Irreverent Mr Black said View Post
How much respect ARE religions actually due? Like "the right to swing your fist ends when it gets to be a threat", I'd suggest that tolerance stops when there is a disturbance to quiet enjoyment of life by others.
That's a very good point Mr Black. If they don't want their religion mocked, then they shouldn't have made it so darned funny.

"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert Heinlein
Old 24th December 2017, 10:34 AM
Today is today. Tomorrow is uncertain.

Quote:
SEG said View Post
Quote:
How much respect ARE religions actually due? Like "the right to swing your fist ends when it gets to be a threat", I'd suggest that tolerance stops when there is a disturbance to quiet enjoyment of life by others.
That's a very good point Mr Black. If they don't want their religion mocked, then they shouldn't have made it so darned funny.

"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert Heinlein
Not what I mean, SEG.

It is quite okay, as an example, for Mildred Quirple to believe that I'm bound for eternal torment in a pit of burning sulphur.

For Mildred to publicise her gleeful anticipation of my destiny, on a billboard, via a TV commercial (or program), or in my face by proclamation? Wrong, for my fifteen quatloos.

Evangelism CAN be close to assault.

The matter of "respect" also must cover the free kicks religions get under tax and charity law. There should be a strict public benefit test, and "furthering religion" is not a benefit to any but the religion itself.

vibrators are WRONG and unnatural the bible said adam and eve not florence and the machine
Becky (@SAlNTKARDASHIAN) May 18, 2016

Old 24th December 2017, 12:16 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
Not what I mean, SEG.

It is quite okay, as an example, for Mildred Quirple to believe that I'm bound for eternal torment in a pit of burning sulphur.

For Mildred to publicise her gleeful anticipation of my destiny, on a billboard, via a TV commercial (or program), or in my face by proclamation? Wrong, for my fifteen quatloos.

Evangelism CAN be close to assault.

The matter of "respect" also must cover the free kicks religions get under tax and charity law. There should be a strict public benefit test, and "furthering religion" is not a benefit to any but the religion itself.
I of course agree with all of the above. When you posed the question, "How much respect ARE religions actually due?" I would suggest that their unjustified beliefs deserve less respect than our justified unbeliefs. Wild claims and assertions are wide open to be mocked and should be at every opportunity IMO. Not lame arsed mockery that is just vilifying, but intelligent mockery.

Equal respect should be given to all people who deserve that respect, as I'm sure that you would agree.

Equal respect should be given to all religions too, as they seem to be equally funny. Mocking religion makes most people uncomfortable. It also has the effect of de-mystifying it and taking away it's assumed authority. It makes a lot of believers question whether their beliefs can be backed up in defence of the mockery thrown at it.

"tolerance stops when there is a disturbance to quiet enjoyment of life by others"

I absolutely agree! Freedom of all religious beliefs, including our atheistic ones should not be confused with unwarranted religious privilege or intrusion into our lives, especially with the spending of our tax dollars.

In 2009 the cost of promotion religion in Australia over 31 billion of our tax dollars was spent on promoting the advancement of religion, which is seen by the law as a charitable endeavour. I say, tax the churches, stop wasting our money on indoctrinating our children and mock religions intelligently at every opportunity!

Last edited by SEG; 24th December 2017 at 12:17 PM.
Like The Irreverent Mr Black, Strato liked this post
Old 25th December 2017, 12:00 PM
What Me Deluded?

I didn't realise Scott Morrison was that wet behind the ears, just mean, authoritarian and moralistic.

If he tries to outlaw mockery of religion, including of himself, he is in for an awakening if that's possible.

Put it to a postal vote as to whether we should be allowed to make fun of religion or not.
He would oppose that proposition.
Old 25th December 2017, 12:33 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
Strato said View Post
I didn't realise Scott Morrison was that wet behind the ears, just mean, authoritarian and moralistic.

If he tries to outlaw mockery of religion, including of himself, he is in for an awakening if that's possible.

Put it to a postal vote as to whether we should be allowed to make fun of religion or not.
He would oppose that proposition.
Yeah definitely wet behind the ears, he's just asking for mocking. I'm not sure how he thinks this image is discriminatory:

It looks like they are just having some satirical fun.
Old 28th December 2017, 08:58 AM

Back in the serious end of the pool,
Quote:
The Greens will use Phillip Ruddock's review of religious freedoms to build momentum for an Australian bill of rights and with Labor's support it could be put before a Senate inquiry as early as next year.
LINKY

vibrators are WRONG and unnatural the bible said adam and eve not florence and the machine

Thank Strato thanked this post
Old 29th December 2017, 12:55 AM
What Me Deluded?

They have a bloke who identifies as a Jesuit priest, Father Frank Brennan on the panel. Not sure why everybody compliantly refers to him by the anachronistic appellation 'Father.' He's supposed to be celibate. I don't give a damn if he is. Spiritual father is meaningless, quite deceptive, an oxymoron.

Do they have a self declaring atheist on the panel? If not, why not?

I'll betcha they don't.

Quote:
One member of the panel, University of Queensland constitutional law professor Nicholas Aroney has argued religious freedom is becoming "at best a second-class right" as "anti-discrimination law is increasingly prioritised".

Professor Aroney, Mr Ruddock and the other panelists including Human Rights Commissioner Rosalind Croucher, Federal Court Judge Annabelle Bennett and Jesuit priest Father Frank Brennan are due to hand down their findings in March.
Old 29th December 2017, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Strato said View Post
They have a bloke who identifies as a Jesuit priest, Father Frank Brennan on the panel. Not sure why everybody compliantly refers to him by the anachronistic appellation 'Father.' He's supposed to be celibate. I don't give a damn if he is. Spiritual father is meaningless, quite deceptive, an oxymoron.

Do they have a self declaring atheist on the panel? If not, why not?

I'll betcha they don't.

Quote:
One member of the panel, University of Queensland constitutional law professor Nicholas Aroney has argued religious freedom is becoming "at best a second-class right" as "anti-discrimination law is increasingly prioritised".

Professor Aroney, Mr Ruddock and the other panelists including Human Rights Commissioner Rosalind Croucher, Federal Court Judge Annabelle Bennett and Jesuit priest Father Frank Brennan are due to hand down their findings in March.
I remember Brennan from Kevin07's "Do we have a Human Rights Bill?" show. You might remember it as the one where the notion of a Human Rights Bill was quietly led away and suffocated.

The SP on Father Brennan, SJ includes the following piece of partiality -
Quote:
On 15 August 2017 Brennan stated that if the law was changed to require clergy to report child sexual abuse learned of during confessionals he would consider breaking it. Brennan told ABC Radio National that "I as a Catholic priest would have to make a decision, whether in conscience, I could apply with such a law". He also claimed that "I think it would make children more vulnerable and not less".[6]

Last edited by The Irreverent Mr Black; 29th December 2017 at 01:27 AM. Reason: add
Thank Strato thanked this post
Old 30th December 2017, 05:33 PM
What Me Deluded?

I recall in Christian propaganda it was called a Bill of Wrongs.

Of course this was because of the anticipated threat to Christian privilege but it was ostensibly execrated for being applied humanism, antithetical to the Jesus is Lord central dogma.

Humanism is denounced for usurping Christ and putting 'man on the throne.' 'Cease from man..'(Isaiah 2.22.)

Last edited by Strato; 30th December 2017 at 05:51 PM.
Like Darwinsbulldog liked this post
Thank Darwinsbulldog, DanDare thanked this post