Go Back   AFA Forums > Atheism > Ask an atheist

Ask an atheist Want to know atheists' viewpoints on things? Want to better understand the atheist worldview?
Here's the place.

Old 20th February 2009, 10:05 PM
SIR Vacuous cunt
Administrator

Default Imagine living in a society of Santa Clausians, what it feels like to be Atheist

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2005/11/15/12016/649

The above is a great article.

Not sure what to say about it, but for anyone reading the board as a guest or stumbling across it in searches, I really recommend you read it. It's hard to explain to theists what the depth of pressure that is felt with atheists living in societies of religious dominance, and maybe the above can help you in some way see why many atheists act the way they do, whether that be silence and hiding in the midst of a world of fanaticism, speaking up with coherent arguments, or being emotional and just letting rip.

It's a world of oppression and madness, and I hope you read it and see something of what it's like for us, even if you are a 'god believer'.

(delta p)*(delta q) >= h/(4*pi) ----- An explanation of Logical Fallacies : http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies ----- ferox deo vacuus vinco ----- How do I post video etc here?
Old 20th February 2009, 10:52 PM

Default Re: Imagine living in a society of Santa Clausians, what it feels like to be Atheist

More religious people need to read that, if not for themselves but to at least understand our perspective. Great article. I don't really associate myself with that story because it never really occurred to me in that way that religion and god was all made up. It's like, you discover santa was not real all along and then you just move on. It was never a big deal for me, it's only been in recent years that I stopped being an apatheist and became an anti-theist.
I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death - George Carlin (R.I.P.)
Old 21st February 2009, 03:44 AM
fiesty red-head

Default Re: Imagine living in a society of Santa Clausians, what it feels like to be Atheist

Thanks for the link Davo. What a great read!!!!

Took me awhile to find part 2. Here it is.
Old 21st February 2009, 03:58 AM
SIR Vacuous cunt
Administrator

ahh sweet thanks Fiery!!

(delta p)*(delta q) >= h/(4*pi) ----- An explanation of Logical Fallacies : http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies ----- ferox deo vacuus vinco ----- How do I post video etc here?
Old 21st February 2009, 06:53 PM

That was a haunting and scary article.

I'm definitely sending god bashers to it in the future.
Old 22nd February 2009, 10:22 PM

Davo, do we really know there's no Santa? I think the fairest thing to do is teach the controversy. *snort*
Old 22nd February 2009, 10:29 PM
SIR Vacuous cunt
Administrator

Of course there's a santa, just he works a lot differently than kids think :

Old 22nd February 2009, 10:41 PM

Oh Davo, that's brilliant. Who'd a thought. Next Xmas I'm giving the fat dude a wink and a nod. The secrets safe with me.
Old 22nd February 2009, 10:43 PM
SIR Vacuous cunt
Administrator

this kids got it sorted ...

Old 22nd February 2009, 10:46 PM

Quote:
davo said View Post
this kids got it sorted ...

Davo, how could I get through the day without you providing a good laugh? Cheers to you