Go Back   AFA Forums > Atheism > Debate Forum

Debate Forum The AFA Debate forum. Set up your debate or join the peanut gallery in here.

Old 2nd April 2016, 09:17 PM
Religion or Reality, choose...

Default Richard Carrier and Justin Bass: Reliable Sources for the Resurrection ?

Intriguing how poor the apologist argument is. The logical fallacies are thick and fast.

Burden of proof is the obligation on somebody presenting a claim to provide evidence to support its truth (a warrant). Once evidence has been presented, it is up to any opposing "side" to show the evidence presented is not adequate. If claims were accepted without warrants, then every claim could simultaneously be claimed to be true.

History isn't written by the victors. It's written by the people with the time machines.
Old 5th April 2016, 06:57 PM
Omu'sata

Default Re: Richard Carrier and Justin Bass: Reliable Sources for the Resurrection ?

* Notes this for later viewing at home *
Old 9th April 2016, 03:36 PM
Religion or Reality, choose...

Default Re: Richard Carrier and Justin Bass: Reliable Sources for the Resurrection ?

Had a look yet Stubby?

Burden of proof is the obligation on somebody presenting a claim to provide evidence to support its truth (a warrant). Once evidence has been presented, it is up to any opposing "side" to show the evidence presented is not adequate. If claims were accepted without warrants, then every claim could simultaneously be claimed to be true.

History isn't written by the victors. It's written by the people with the time machines.
Old 10th April 2016, 06:22 AM
Cuss-tard

I tried. I really tried. The first 20 minutes is just pointless fucking blather before the debate even starts. And then the Jesus-booster pisses in your ear so egregiously I lasted five minutes.

Fuck me, this is what passes for an intelligent pasttime?

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

@Goldenmane3

Like DanDare, Blue Lightning, joele liked this post
Old 11th April 2016, 08:13 PM
AFA Member

I do find Richard Carriers arguments interesting but I can't listen to these debates anymore. I find the religious 'debaters' arguments so infuriating that I end up skipping them anyway, so not much point! LOL

“Religion the protector of the well fed and consoler of the hungry.” - Mikhail Bakunin
Old 8th December 2017, 09:53 AM

Quote:
DanDare said View Post
Intriguing how poor the apologist argument is. The logical fallacies are thick and fast.

Yes, they are just making the best out of tiny scraps of poor evidence, Dan.

I enjoyed watching this one again. What I got out of it was having the cargo cults as an example of how Christianity began at around the 56 min mark and also how the empty tomb saga had no Roman follow up as to how an escaped criminal's body had been stolen or whether the criminal was even still alive.

I usually cut up the debates into 15-20 minute sections after converting Youtubes into MP3's and listen to them while driving my car. I know that this is an old post, but thanks for sharing anyway.
Like DanDare liked this post