Go Back   AFA Forums > Secularism and Social Issues > Ethics and Justice

Ethics and Justice Ethics, morality, and justice in society

Old 8th December 2017, 10:28 AM
Because Dickmas

Default AUS: NT Intervention - Deleterious Effects Measured

ABC

Quote:
There were significant drops in school attendance and the birth weight of babies in the months after the Northern Territory intervention was rolled out, new research suggests.

More than a decade ago, the Howard government launched its Northern Territory Emergency Response after allegations of child abuse in remote communities, introducing welfare restrictions, widespread alcohol bans and forced land leases.

University of Sydney Associate Professor Stefanie Schurer said the team was surprised by the results and was expecting to see improvements in birth weight and school attendance, which are key indicators of children's wellbeing.

The joint project between the Menzies School of Health Research and the University of Sydney assessed data in 73 communities and 10 town camps where the intervention's Income Management Scheme was rolled out.

"Income management, as it was rolled out as part of the Northern Territory intervention, has definitely had no positive impact on children's wellbeing, if anything it had negative impacts on school attendance, particularly in boys," Professor Schurer said.
Much more at source. When's the rollback?

I'll be reading Free Speculative Fiction Online till we get some more content.

Old 8th December 2017, 06:47 PM
AFA Member

Default Re: AUS: NT Intervention - Deleterious Effects Measured

Quote:
The Irreverent Mr Black said View Post
ABC

Much more at source. When's the rollback?

When we get some decent politicians in charge! This current lot couldn't manage a wedding in a church let alone fix an issue that has been several hundred years in the making and may indeed take as long again to fix. But it's always the same, the easy solutions are the ones used even if they fail to work time and time again.

Unfortunately I can't pretend to know all the answers, but knowing I don't know all the answers often stops me from making silly mistakes, unlike our current crop of politicians. Oh there are a few good eggs in there, but they are drowned out by the overwhelming pong of the bad ones.
Old 9th December 2017, 09:03 AM
AFA Member

Quote:
stevebrooks said View Post
When we get some decent politicians in charge! This current lot couldn't manage a wedding in a church let alone fix an issue that has been several hundred years in the making and may indeed take as long again to fix. But it's always the same, the easy solutions are the ones used even if they fail to work time and time again.

Unfortunately I can't pretend to know all the answers, but knowing I don't know all the answers often stops me from making silly mistakes, unlike our current crop of politicians. Oh there are a few good eggs in there, but they are drowned out by the overwhelming pong of the bad ones.
I think the principle of intervention itself was sound. Something had to be done. So they tried to do something spectacular, and failed spectacularly.

Of course, what was actually needed was a complete rethink about racial relations, welfare, employment opportunities, medical care, housing, psychological services and a sustained and sincere [and consultative] efforts over decades before any real [and lasting] results appeared.

But that sort of thing is not rewarded by the election cycle, even with the best intentions.

Politicians often go for the "shiny new thing", which often leads to bad policy, unnecessary wars, etc. The party system makes it hard for politicians to think up and implement good public policy, because it is almost always viewed though the lens of political ideology.
Old 9th December 2017, 02:05 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
Darwinsbulldog said View Post
I think the principle of intervention itself was sound. Something had to be done. So they tried to do something spectacular, and failed spectacularly.

Of course, what was actually needed was a complete rethink about racial relations, welfare, employment opportunities, medical care, housing, psychological services and a sustained and sincere [and consultative] efforts over decades before any real [and lasting] results appeared.

But that sort of thing is not rewarded by the election cycle, even with the best intentions.

Politicians often go for the "shiny new thing", which often leads to bad policy, unnecessary wars, etc. The party system makes it hard for politicians to think up and implement good public policy, because it is almost always viewed though the lens of political ideology.

Oh I agree something needed to be done, however it's been demonstrated time and again that removing all personal control over circumstances doesn't lead to desired outcomes. Again as I said I don't have all the answers, I'm not really sure I have any of the answers, but you don't need a degree in rocket science to know a wrong answer when it has already been demonstrated to be wrong.
Old 10th December 2017, 04:08 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
stevebrooks said View Post
Oh I agree something needed to be done, however it's been demonstrated time and again that removing all personal control over circumstances doesn't lead to desired outcomes. Again as I said I don't have all the answers, I'm not really sure I have any of the answers, but you don't need a degree in rocket science to know a wrong answer when it has already been demonstrated to be wrong.
People without real options or opportunities will tend to do dumb or harmful shit out of despair, IMHO. Those folks needed a helping hand to get themselves back on their own two feet, not some super police raid that implied they were just a bunch of criminal sickos.
And of course in the past, with government and churches stealing generations of kids, why should those folks believe the government was even being sincere, never mind going about it in a completely dumb-ass way guaranteed to amplify distrust and resentment.
Old 10th December 2017, 05:07 PM
Because Dickmas

@DBD: Talking at or past, instead of to, the people... that always brings results!

I'll be reading Free Speculative Fiction Online till we get some more content.

Laugh at Darwinsbulldog laughed at this post