Go Back   AFA Forums > Secularism and Social Issues > Education

Education How it is and how it should be. The current system and those attempting to subvert it.

Old 20th March 2015, 07:48 PM
Default Subjectivity

Some English teachers mark students well and better for subjective, personal insight and interpretation.

What would you say about the ethics of English teachers and assessment scheme in all schools re treating and marking with far less leniency students' works for being solely objective, consistent in use of evidence and keeping it impersonal?

If an English teacher is an atheist, what criteria would he/she define in marking students' work as original, whilst maintaining cultural and intellectual fairness for all, especially re some students who are uncreative and deserve equitable awards for diligence so far ignored?

Last edited by Azurisan21; 20th March 2015 at 07:51 PM.
Old 20th March 2015, 11:17 PM
What Me Deluded?
Default Re: Subjectivity

Az, I suspect you just told me what my opinion is.

These are loaded questions. Writing is writing. If you claim something as 'objective' fact, it had damn well better be.

You write fantasy stuff, dontcha?
Everything admits of a naturalistic explanation.
Old 3rd July 2015, 07:26 PM

It depends if you are talking about creative writing or an essay I suppose. Not sure if I even understand your questions. If it is a report in a newspaper I would hope for objective, factually accurate, information which is not original. If it is poetry, write about your broken heart or something. That would be subjective and original, hopefully.
Old 3rd July 2015, 11:24 PM
AFA Member

Appears to me you are implying that atheists can't be creative or inventive, tell that to Terry Pratchett! Ok you can't because he has died unfortunately, but one of the modern days greatest fantasy writers was in fact an atheist.
From the mouth of a seven year old: "When you're you're dead, you don't go anywhere!"