Go Back   AFA Forums > Science, Logic and Reason > Humanities/Social Sciences

Humanities/Social Sciences Philosophy, History, Politics etc

Old 9th February 2018, 09:08 AM
Observer, with unmet expectations.

Default ARCHAEOLOGY: Early Pom Had A Good Tan

ABC

Quote:
"Cheddar Man", Britain's oldest, nearly complete human skeleton, had dark skin, blue eyes and dark curly hair when he lived in what is now southwest England 10,000 years ago, scientists who read his DNA have discovered.

The finding suggests that the lighter skin pigmentation now seen as typical of northern Europeans is far more recent than previously thought, according to researchers from University College London (UCL) who took part in the project.

Cheddar Man's skin colour was described as "dark to black" by the scientific team which also included researchers from London's Natural History Museum, where the skeleton is on display in the Human Evolution gallery.

"To go beyond what the bones tell us and get a scientifically based picture of what he actually looked like is a remarkable, and from the results quite surprising achievement," said Chris Stringer, the museum's research leader in Human Origins.

Unearthed in 1903 in a cave at Cheddar Gorge, in the county of Somerset, the Mesolithic-era man was a hunter-gatherer whose ancestors migrated into Europe at the end of the last Ice Age.

Three hundred generations later, around 10 per cent of indigenous British ancestry can be linked to Cheddar Man's people, scientists say.
I am informed by TEVW that Cheddar Man had recently returned from holidays in Ibiza!

Everything before the "but" is bullshit. - Black's Grandad.

Thank 142857 thanked this post
Laugh at SEG laughed at this post
Old 9th February 2018, 02:28 PM
AFA Member

Default Re: ARCHAEOLOGY: Early Pom Had A Good Tan

Surprised they didn't use the Fitzpatrick scale:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fitzpatrick_scale
Old 9th February 2018, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Darwinsbulldog said View Post
Surprised they didn't use the Fitzpatrick scale:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fitzpatrick_scale
I see it includes the Black Irish!

Laugh at Darwinsbulldog laughed at this post
Old 9th February 2018, 06:33 PM

I think the concept of "Black Irish" is based on the concept of there being an Irish "race" with certain characteristics like fair skin, fair hair and so on.

In reality Britain and Ireland are incredibly diverse genetic melting pots. Pasty fair skin is more likely to dominate in the gene pool in the British and Irish climate because Vitamin D, it isn't some indicator of racial purity or racial superiority.

Just as people like me with pasty skin are more likely to die from melanoma in Australia, so even if One Nation manages to ban immigration for the next 10,000 years we'll all end up with dark skin anyway. Well I won't, but my ancestors will.
Old 9th February 2018, 07:07 PM

@142857: Yes, my link above dealt with the Black Irish.

Your ancestors would all be a shade of bony white, or earth tones, unlike your descendants.

Mine's the coat with the Fucking Pedant badge on it, ta!

Thank 142857 thanked this post
Laugh at 142857 laughed at this post
Old 9th February 2018, 07:48 PM

@Mr Black, ha ha, you are correct. Thanks for picking that one up. My recent ancestors have mostly been pasty white, apart from my maternal grandmother (born in England, from an Irish family) who had dark hair and olive skin and might almost have qualified as "Black Irish". Unfortunately I missed out on those traits in the genetic lottery and I turn a lovely shade of red after a short time under the sun.

I wasn't correcting you about the Black Irish. The first time I heard the term "Black Irish" was about 25 years ago, from an Irishman telling me about survivors of the Spanish Armada. Not long after that I met the boisterously drunk Irish boyfriend of one of the ladies at work, a really great guy. Until he spoke I would have picked him as a Greek or Sicilian. I just think the whole concept of "Black Irish" is a bit silly - the gene pool is an absolute melting pot BUT anyone who isn't pasty white enough must have come from somewhere else.

Funny how it works. I'm probably a 2 on the Fitzpatrick scale, my wife is probably a 5. My son is a 2 tending towards a 1 - reddish brown hair and freckles, but not the blue eyes.
Like SEG liked this post
Thank The Irreverent Mr Black thanked this post
Old 10th February 2018, 10:03 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
142857 said View Post

Funny how it works. I'm probably a 2 on the Fitzpatrick scale, my wife is probably a 5. My son is a 2 tending towards a 1 - reddish brown hair and freckles, but not the blue eyes.
Funny is while sitting in London, and a bunch of guys in Turkish logo shirts walk past, and one guy looks like he walked out TV commercial for Ireland.

So I txted a Turkish friend "When did the Irish move to Turkey? Turkish speaking red hair, blue eyes just walked past"

She replied to say, "They live on the Black Sea...lots of them..didn't you know?"
Knowing very well that I didn't
Like The Irreverent Mr Black, 142857 liked this post