Go Back   AFA Forums > News and Social > News and Current Affairs

News and Current Affairs News reports related to (but not restricted to) religion, atheism and woo.

Old 7th February 2018, 06:00 PM
AFA Member

Default Why aren't Cooper & Oxley being charged for theft?

They locked out contractors, not giving them an opportunity to pick up their tools. Contractors need their tools to continue with their other jobs, even if C and O have suspended training. Plus why do these big firms get away with stealing money from contractors by not paying them for work done?

If this was a case of an employee stealing money out of a till, or shoplifting, the person concerned would be in lockup, pending trial.

It is about time such high-handed action by corporations is seen for what it is-larceny.
Old 7th February 2018, 07:16 PM
I, for one, welcome our new insect overlord.

Default Re: Why aren't Cooper & Oxley being charged for theft?

Another sign that the pendulum has swung far enough for the general population to start caring about the industrial relations landscape in Australia. The Industrial Relations Commission in NSW is a joke - they are a bosses court as evidenced by their decision to deny train drivers the right to withdraw their labour recently.

Unions are our only defence as they are the only way our collective voices can be heard. Unions should be replacing the social void left by the demise of the church.

'[They] agreed that it was neither possible nor necessary to educate people who never questioned anything.' ― Joseph Heller, Catch-22

'While on the other hand, dachshunds are always out of their depth.' - Cyclist

'I'm 'a' problem, not 'the' problem.' - Wolty

'You have to be odd to be number one.' - Dr Suess
Like joele, knowledge is power liked this post
Thank The Irreverent Mr Black, Strato thanked this post
Old 7th February 2018, 07:42 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
odd said View Post
Another sign that the pendulum has swung far enough for the general population to start caring about the industrial relations landscape in Australia. The Industrial Relations Commission in NSW is a joke - they are a bosses court as evidenced by their decision to deny train drivers the right to withdraw their labour recently.

Unions are our only defence as they are the only way our collective voices can be heard. Unions should be replacing the social void left by the demise of the church.
The irony is that although some of these contractors may be individuals, some are also firms as well. So it isn't "just" a IR issue, it is about corporations being fair with other corporations. So the right wing of politics should be all over this sort of shit behaviour. They are not, so they have no moral legitimacy whatsoever.
Old 7th February 2018, 08:19 PM
I, for one, welcome our new insect overlord.

Quote:
Darwinsbulldog said View Post
Quote:
odd said View Post

The irony is that although some of these contractors may be individuals, some are also firms as well. So it isn't "just" a IR issue, it is about corporations being fair with other corporations. So the right wing of politics should be all over this sort of shit behaviour. They are not, so they have no moral legitimacy whatsoever.
Corporation v Corporation issues? They are fine with the 'do anything in the name of shareholder value' - that isn't going to change.

'[They] agreed that it was neither possible nor necessary to educate people who never questioned anything.' ― Joseph Heller, Catch-22

'While on the other hand, dachshunds are always out of their depth.' - Cyclist

'I'm 'a' problem, not 'the' problem.' - Wolty

'You have to be odd to be number one.' - Dr Suess
Old 7th February 2018, 10:03 PM
Cuss-tard

Quote:
Darwinsbulldog said View Post
Quote:
odd said View Post

The right wing, so-called conservatives in general, the entire shower are pure hypocrisy, on the rare occasion that they aren't just fucking plain stupid. Don't get me wrong, a lot of them are stupid. Hell, a lot of people in general are stupid. It often surprises and disappoints me how fucking stupid people are.

And it's easy to be a hypocrite when you're a bag of hammers, but it takes real work to be that kind of fuckwit when you have a couple of neurons to rub together. But that's the kind of work that's fairly easy to do when you're clever, so there's a trade-off.

No-one thinks that they're the villain, in pretty much any scenario. That's why "the villain who knows they're the villain" is a comic trope rather than a dramatic one. Generally speaking, humans don't go out there with the express intention of doing evil. Even the most fucked-up torturers for the most part think that what they're doing is at worst neutral. Which is why when I go on my killing spree, you'll all know I'm explicitly targeting the weak and innocent because I want to buck the trend.

...I don't know where I was going with that. I'm bloody tired, and should probably join a union.

@Goldenmane3

Last edited by Goldenmane; 7th February 2018 at 10:08 PM.
Like odd liked this post