Go Back   AFA Forums > Atheism > General Chit Chat About Atheism

General Chit Chat About Atheism Something on your mind?

Old 3rd February 2018, 05:10 PM
AFA Member

Default Re: Chair of Atheism?

Quote:
pipbarber said View Post
You can't extract the context from the position. Only one member of congress currently identifies as an atheist. 40% of the US believe the earth is less than 10,000 years old. Also, the chair is not strictly focussing on unbelief,

From op link

In reality, this new chair is a study of secular humanism and it's engagement with the world. It's a good thing for a US uni to attempt. Probably wouldn't be wholly pointless in Australia either, though of course we have far less need for such a chair. There are probably dozens of courses on similar themes in Australian philosophy departments.
Not in WA, at least not when I applied. Philosophy departments told me to fuck off. The only department I got a warm and enthusiastic response was the Theology Department at Murdoch. But they hardly had the cash to do the already existing courses, and were cutting back.
Old 3rd February 2018, 06:39 PM
AFA Member

At uni of Tasmania in the late 90s early 00s most philosophy courses on offer assumed non-belief. Approaching the curriculum from a theistic perspective would have been onerous, though a few tried, they never really made any sense.

Let’s not forget, 30% of us are ‘nons’ and what percentage of undergrads in Australia are ‘nons’? I don’t know but i’d wager significantly more than 30%.

I think the least we might say is that there is no given assumption of theistic belief in Australian undergrad arts courses, generally speaking - which is probably not the case in the US.
Old 3rd February 2018, 06:44 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
pipbarber said View Post
At uni of Tasmania in the late 90s early 00s most philosophy courses on offer assumed non-belief. Approaching the curriculum from a theistic perspective would have been onerous, though a few tried, they never really made any sense.

Letís not forget, 30% of us are Ďnonsí and what percentage of undergrads in Australia are Ďnonsí? I donít know but iíd wager significantly more than 30%.

I think the least we might say is that there is no given assumption of theistic belief in Australian undergrad arts courses, generally speaking - which is probably not the case in the US.
Uni of Notre Dame?

But that is expected.
Old 3rd February 2018, 06:50 PM
AFA Member

Well...also i’m obviously not including ACU in that above post. Just real universities. Don’t know anything about Notre Dame but they have a decent education department don’t though? I heard that somewhere but i’m being a bit ‘eastist’ with my ignorance here.
Old 3rd February 2018, 07:00 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
pipbarber said View Post
Well...also iím obviously not including ACU in that above post. Just real universities. Donít know anything about Notre Dame but they have a decent education department donít though? I heard that somewhere but iím being a bit Ďeastistí with my ignorance here.
Not too bad. But all students have to do an intro ethics course. I helped a friend navigate the terrors of Bishop Anslem's "argument" for god in such a way as not to offend the Catholic academics. My better half worked there and they [the teaching staff]swear like wharfies. Not as good as Hack or Goldenmane, but pretty good.