Go Back   AFA Forums > Atheism > Debate Forum

Debate Forum The AFA Debate forum. Set up your debate or join the peanut gallery in here.

Old 17th January 2018, 12:10 AM
AFA Member

Default Who is Australia's Best Atheist Debater?

I sadly only know of one, Raphael Lataster. Are there any others that are taking on the theists? IMO Raph did a great job against Trent Horn in this debate:

He is itching to take on WLC, but I don't think that he has enough experience atm, even if in the unlikely event Craig was interested in taking him on. Are there any Australian members here that take on public debates?
Old 17th January 2018, 10:09 AM
AFA Member

Default Re: Who is Australia's Best Atheist Debater?

Trying to listen but I have literally facepalm-ed a few times at my desk listening to Trent's opening.

“Religion the protector of the well fed and consoler of the hungry.” - Mikhail Bakunin
Old 17th January 2018, 11:57 AM
AFA Member

Quote:
joele said View Post
Trying to listen but I have literally facepalm-ed a few times at my desk listening to Trent's opening.
He reminds me of William Lane Craig, he knows a lot of the philosophical terms. He later ironically accuses Raph of doing a Gish Gallop, which I tend to agree. The time constraints leave their mark on both speakers.
Like joele liked this post
Old 18th January 2018, 05:24 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
joele said View Post
What did you think of the debate Joele?
Old 18th January 2018, 06:29 PM
AFA Member

I could not watch it all.

But got got a facepalm happening when Raph got stuck on atheism. Lack of belief in god[s]. It does not get much simpler than that, Raph. Only a philosopher as trouble with something so straightforward. otherwise he seemed OK.

But this is where a serious debate with theists over the existence of god lies. Theists believe there is a god, it is not a conditional statement like "Does god exist? Thesis claim god exists, so in a debate about whether god exists or not the negative side of the debate has lost an important point. Because that removes much of the burden of proof that theists must demonstrate when they claim god as fact, a positive claim.

Raph sort of covered that by god's silence over his own existence, has lack of demonstration to non-believers etc.

Past of the problem is that god was not defined, which was soft of good for the negative because Raph did the standard response to such imprecision by saying "which god?".
Old 18th January 2018, 10:04 PM
Cuss-tard

Quote:
SEG said View Post
I sadly only know of one, Raphael Lataster. Are there any others that are taking on the theists? IMO Raph did a great job against Trent Horn in this debate:

He is itching to take on WLC, but I don't think that he has enough experience atm, even if in the unlikely event Craig was interested in taking him on. Are there any Australian members here that take on public debates?

I don't understand the question.

@Goldenmane3

Old 19th January 2018, 12:31 AM
AFA Member

Quote:
Darwinsbulldog said View Post
I could not watch it all.

But got got a facepalm happening when Raph got stuck on atheism. Lack of belief in god[s]. It does not get much simpler than that, Raph. Only a philosopher as trouble with something so straightforward. otherwise he seemed OK.
Yes, at it's core atheism is just the lack of beliefs. Raph said that he was a non-theist, which I guess is a bit stronger. I'm an a-theist in the sense that I am against theism which negatively impacts against me or our culture. I am only pro-theist in the sense that people have the freedom to believe whatever crazy shit they like privately, as long as they don't force those beliefs onto other people, especially the vulnerable. Plus stay the fuck away from our government.

Quote:
Darwinsbulldog said
Raph sort of covered that by god's silence over his own existence, has lack of demonstration to non-believers etc.

Past of the problem is that god was not defined, which was soft of good for the negative because Raph did the standard response to such imprecision by saying "which god?".
Yes, that wasn't brought up and should have been. He lost me a little from 26:00 to 32:00 with the philosophical arguments. Did that make sense to you? He was caught out by Horn from around 57:00 when he was asked how would he know if a limb was restored that it was God doing it or whether it was aliens or some other cause. He bounced back pretty well after that IMO.

I think Raph is the best and most qualified Australian counter apologetic debater. Is he the only one?
Old 19th January 2018, 12:42 AM
AFA Member

Quote:
Goldenmane said View Post
I don't understand the question.
Which one GM? Is he Australia's Best Atheist Debater?

I meant that is he the best atheist in Australia that participates in public debates against Christian apologists? By best I mean the most qualified and effective.

The other question was "Are there any others that are taking on the theists"?

I meant in public debates. I know Hackenslash runs a blog and seems very competent, but he is not Australian and I'm not sure whether he debates in public
Old 19th January 2018, 12:48 AM
AFA Member

I've recommended Jane Caro and Leslie Cannold in the past; Paul Willis is very good too.
Thank SEG thanked this post