Go Back   AFA Forums > News and Social > News and Current Affairs

News and Current Affairs News reports related to (but not restricted to) religion, atheism and woo.

Old 3rd January 2018, 11:45 PM
AFA Member

Default Re: UC Berkeley cancels Milo Yiannopoulos due to protest

Quote:
THWOTH said View Post
One word: Brexit.
Fancy being our resident journo on the ground? Start a thread on it. I’d be very interested in your views.

Last edited by pipbarber; 3rd January 2018 at 11:47 PM.
Old 3rd January 2018, 11:50 PM

I think there's a thread already - I'll start flinging stuff into it as and when.
Old 4th January 2018, 10:36 AM
AFA Member

Quote:
THWOTH said View Post
Ah, but he wont be of the younger generation forever - and we all change don't we? Sure, his position of 'power' as a notorious whatever acted to legitimise his every thought, like the worst kind of demanding diva playing out their nonsense in the public eye, but (and I really don't mean this in a patronising way) he was/is just a kid - I guess at some point he'll either reflect, and perhaoa forgive himself (or maybe even double down I suppose), or he won't. If everyone writes him off now what chance does he stand of not being a dick all his life?

Nope, heís not a kid. Heís 33 years old. He stopped being a kid quite a while ago.
Milo is free to say whatever he wants, thatís freedom of speech. In the same way others are free to challenge him on his opinions. Far from writing him off these challenges are part of the social conversation and the way changes in entrenched ideas happen. Not for Milo, I doubt his opinions are about to be changed, well not until thereís some money in it for him, but for the audience he creates.
Milo will continue to be a dick for as long as it is beneficial to him, because heís an adult and he knows exactly what heís doing.
Will it come back to bite him on the bum? Who knows.
Will he regret his behavior at some point? Who knows?
Does he intentionally target and hurt people, and say outrageous things for his own gain? Yes.
So he can just suck it up princess and wear the consequences.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank 142857 thanked this post
Old 4th January 2018, 11:32 AM
I am no feeble Christ, not me.

One of the troll tactics is for a person who is say, 20, to have a target audience of 12 year olds, and the message is to mock and deride people who are 16. The millions of followers who join in with ridiculously stupid comments love to see people like their big brothers or sisters brought down a peg.

Shift the ages a bit, or imagine the audience has a juvenile mentality rather than actually being juvenile. Maybe the target group is immigrants or women instead of older siblings.

Not sure if what I just typed holds water. I'm actually still struggling to understand how the online world has given such clowns so much global influence.

Quote:
Mjt said View Post
Nope, heís not a kid. Heís 33 years old. He stopped being a kid quite a while ago.
Milo is free to say whatever he wants, thatís freedom of speech. In the same way others are free to challenge him on his opinions. Far from writing him off these challenges are part of the social conversation and the way changes in entrenched ideas happen. Not for Milo, I doubt his opinions are about to be changed, well not until thereís some money in it for him, but for the audience he creates.
Milo will continue to be a dick for as long as it is beneficial to him, because heís an adult and he knows exactly what heís doing.
Does he intentionally target and hurt people, and say outrageous things for his own gain? Yes.

Old 4th January 2018, 12:17 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
stylofone said View Post
One of the troll tactics is for a person who is say, 20, to have a target audience of 12 year olds, and the message is to mock and deride people who are 16. The millions of followers who join in with ridiculously stupid comments love to see people like their big brothers or sisters brought down a peg.

Shift the ages a bit, or imagine the audience has a juvenile mentality rather than actually being juvenile. Maybe the target group is immigrants or women instead of older siblings.

Not sure if what I just typed holds water. I'm actually still struggling to understand how the online world has given such clowns so much global influence.

Quote:
Mjt said View Post

Hate an bigotry are not the product of a juvenile mentality. They are not the product of kids playing around on the internet. They are adult concepts promoted by adults, and we wave away the likes is milo and his followers as juvenile kids at our own peril. These younger than us adults are the ones breaking ground, creating social norms and wielding influence regardless of whether or not we understand it or like it.
Kids grow up early these days, they have all the knowledge in the world at their fingertips, and itís their world.
We dismiss them too easily.

Thank The Irreverent Mr Black, 142857 thanked this post
Old 4th January 2018, 12:52 PM
I am no feeble Christ, not me.

Yes, it reminds me of the comments last year that Trump has a childish understanding things like morality, and the child behaviour expert who said "No, that's an insult to children".

Quote:
Mjt said View Post
Hate an bigotry are not the product of a juvenile mentality. They are not the product of kids playing around on the internet. They are adult concepts promoted by adults, and we wave away the likes is milo and his followers as juvenile kids at our own peril. These younger than us adults are the ones breaking ground, creating social norms and wielding influence regardless of whether or not we understand it or like it.
Kids grow up early these days, they have all the knowledge in the world at their fingertips, and itís their world.
We dismiss them too easily.

Like Mjt, 142857, knowledge is power liked this post
Laugh at The Irreverent Mr Black laughed at this post
Old 4th January 2018, 05:35 PM
AFA Member

Is Milo really a bigot though? I don't know too be frank... He is a real life troll by his own admission, and plays to a bigot audience, saying rather bigoted things at times and just acting the fool the rest of the time.

This makes him a worthless piece of shit, to me. I am just not sure whether he actually fully holds these positions or whether he is so pathetic in his attention craving he'll latch on to whatever gets him the most.

ďReligion the protector of the well fed and consoler of the hungry.Ē - Mikhail Bakunin

Last edited by joele; 4th January 2018 at 05:40 PM.